Advertise here

Corsa 1L low revs, no power at full acceleration

Messages 1 to 18 of 18.

Corsa Sting 97
Joined Mar 2005
2 posts

When I first got my Corsa from an auction the engine management light was on, and a diagnostics test said the EGR valve needed replacing. The car was running fine at this point, so I left it and after approx 1 year it seemed to have very low revs when started and for a few mins it crawls along at 5-10mph. Pumping the pedal, putting it to the floor seems to do nothing, but suddenly it will kick in and run seemingly fine. There is little acceleration though and pumping the pedal or putting your foot down all the way does nothing. On motorways it struggles getting speed up to 70.

Now I have had the EGR valve changed, and the car is exactly the same as it was. Vauxhall are suggesting another diagnostics test for £40 which is nice as 'something else may have gone wrong since then'. Any suggestions?

Monday, 14 March 2005

Discussion Archived

Julian
Joined Feb 2005
2642 posts

Is the management light still on ?
Have you checked the exhaust / cat for blockage.
Have you checked the plugs ?

Monday, 14 March 2005

Discussion Archived

Andy T
Joined Mar 2005
1 posts

I have had exactly the same problem. I had the EGR valve fixed after a year of the EMS warning light showing. At first the car was fine and it has fixed the problem of stalling at junctions however, I am also experiencing no power on motorways and the car rapidly slowing even when throttle fully depressed. The garage indicate that the cat may need replacing due to it being clogged up with crap due to the car running rich before EGR valve was replaced. However it could be a multitude of other things A new cat should cost about 170 pounds but I have already spent 300 pounds on it so I am getting rid of it. I will never buy vauxhall again!

Wednesday, 16 March 2005

Discussion Archived

Corsa Sting 97
Joined Mar 2005
2 posts

The engine management light would be on, but the bulb has gone now!

I have since taken it back to vauxhall, who charged £58 to 'check the codes' and they say the exhaust manifold is blowing and the code is showing an O2 problem so they can't say whether this is due to the manifold or not without that being fixed. i've had exhaust problems before and this doesn't feel similar. I don't know about the CAT or plugs - unfortunately i have very little mechanical knowledge - but i will give that info to my mechanic!

Monday, 21 March 2005

Discussion Archived

Julian
Joined Feb 2005
2642 posts

If there is an exhaust blow then it could make the car play up.

Monday, 21 March 2005

Discussion Archived

Ozzi Persh
Joined Mar 2005
22 posts

OPEL VECTRA A 1990 (Vauxhall Cav)
It had the same problem and one day I was 100miles away from home and I'd just switched the lights on, when the car just died and wouldn't start! Then I tried after a few mins to start it again and it did but wouldnt go faster than 20m/h :(
So the problem was the Power generator which wouldn't make any electrecity to the engine. So it's actually was using the Battery's power, and when I switched the lights the battery died. As I didn't know what happend I went to the garage and spend lots of money but nothing happend. So the problem was the generators "brushes" which were dead after 90k. I went to my friend who was a car electrican and it took him only 2mins to fix it and 50p for me to buy that brush (made in china). Since it was good and never stopped! Oh and also just in case I've changed the wires as well! So do the wires first as they die faster than "brush".

I appologies for my English as I'm a foreigner, Thanks!

Monday, 21 March 2005

Discussion Archived

Julian
Joined Feb 2005
2642 posts

Your English is fine.

Tuesday, 22 March 2005
Edited Wednesday, 11 May 2005

Discussion Archived

thermoman
Joined Apr 2005
1 posts

I have a 1997 Vauxhall Corsa Sport 1400 16v with the same problem, i.e the car has no power or acceleration but will suddenly pick up. I have checked all the vacuum hoses, replaced the spark plugs and the fuel filter. I found a site which tells you how to read the fault codes yourself: http://www.atpelectronics.co.uk I will check the exhaust for leaks next and post any findings in the mean time any suggestions gratefully received.

Tuesday, 26 April 2005

Discussion Archived

Corsa12v
Joined May 2005
3 posts

Hi i have exactly the same problem with my corsa 1.0 12v lack of power and engine light. I went to vauxhall and they tried charging me £60 +VAT just to check the codes but I didnt bother because I have already had problems with the EGR valve and I thought it might be that again. So i took my corsa to a friend who had a look at the valve and told me that the voltage supply to the EGR was 12v on one side and 5v on the other now i am not sure what this means but my friend reakons there should be 12v on eachside maybe. does any one know what these voltages should be?

Friday, 6 May 2005

Discussion Archived

Julian
Joined Feb 2005
2642 posts

Hi. the voltage sounds ok, I dont know what year etc so took an uneducated guess.
testing 5 and earth = battery voltage
testing 3 and earth = 5 volts.
Clean it in some carb cleaner, if this fails ring round some local independants, most have access to code readers.

Friday, 6 May 2005

Discussion Archived

Adverts Currently On Preloved

ZAFIRA COMFORT 1.8 PETROL...

VAUXHALL CORSA 1.2 SXI

CAR FOR SALE

VAUHALL CORSA 1.3 CDTI....

VAUXHALL ZAFIRA 1.6

BLACK VAUXHALL VECTRA SRI

VAUXHALL CORSA

VAUXHALL VECTRA 16V

Place an ad here for free

» More vauxhall ads...

wi
Joined May 2005
1 posts

I have the same problems, with corsa 98 1.0 L, the diagnostic test schowed that there is a problem with oxygen sensor, 220 euro!!! from opel!!!, a bit too much like for me. I will try to get one second hand from the scrap. - the car is still goin but its getting worse in the mornings have to wait about 3 min, till I can drive or the car goes 5 miles per/h and stops till the engine gets worm.

Wednesday, 11 May 2005

Discussion Archived

Corsa12v
Joined May 2005
3 posts

Hiya I have heard that maybe the Air flow meter needs replacing I have also been looking on the net for answers and I cant find an answer to the problem at all. I have cleaned the EGR valve and checked the EGR valve still same problem. Next i will have a look at getting the Air flow meter checked ill keep you posted.Thanks for your replies.

Wednesday, 11 May 2005

Discussion Archived

Julian
Joined Feb 2005
2642 posts

Hi. Air flow sensor ?
terminals 3 and 5

Ignition on (not running) 5volts
Engine idling 1.5 volts
Engine idling accelerate briefly 4.2 volts
Leave multiplug connected.

Wednesday, 11 May 2005

Discussion Archived

gt
Joined May 2005
1 posts

We've just had the same problem with my daughters car. After one garage failed to find the cause of the problem, we took it to a friends garage who diagnosed it as the air flow meter. Cost of the part is approx £160 but it has sorted out the problem.

Friday, 13 May 2005

Discussion Archived

Paul F
Joined May 2005
3 posts

My Corsa has just been diagnosed with the same symptoms as having a faulty crankshaft sensor and airflow meter. The sensor was less than £20 but was causing the engine management light to come. The power issues are being attributed to the air flow sensor. I'm being quoted about £200+Vat for the sensor and £19 for the labour.

The labour for the diagnosis was about £100!

Friday, 20 May 2005

Discussion Archived

Julian
Joined Feb 2005
2642 posts

I'll have to put my rate up. I don't even charge for the code reading diagnosis if I do the repair work.

Friday, 20 May 2005

Discussion Archived

Paul F
Joined May 2005
3 posts

I think they had a look around the head gasket and stuff too, to rule that out as the symptoms were pointing at that first. They've done the crankshaft sensor and now the car seems to work fine, but they are doing the airflow sensor today. Given the cost of that I'm hoping I get more power and more fuel economy as a bonus!

Monday, 23 May 2005

Discussion Archived

Corsa12v
Joined May 2005
3 posts

I have just had the air flow meter replaced and everything seems to be ok now thanks to everyone who has helped me.

Monday, 23 May 2005

Discussion Archived

Messages 1 to 18 of 18.

Important Note

All messages are submitted by visitors to this web site, and represent their own personal opinion. They do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Preloved.

You use this information at your own risk. Preloved can not be held responsible for any damages or loss resulting from the use of this site. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more details.