Advertise here

Astra 2001 1.6 8V LS stalling when slowing down

Messages 1 to 14 of 14.

Hathi
Joined Apr 2005
5 posts

I have an Astra LS 1.6 8V LS than run okay in iddle. Its has a slight judder (kangaroo) at constant speed (40-60 MPH) and occasionally as I slow down to stop at traffic lights/junctions etc. the engine cuts out. It starts again straight away, and iddles fine.
A relativ mentioned that he thought this is s common fault with this engine, but couldn't remember the cuase.
Can anyone help please?
P.S. the engine has done 118K miles already.

Friday, 8 April 2005

Discussion Archived

Gibson
Joined May 2005
2 posts

I have exactly the same problem. Vauxhall approved dealer was no help & cost approx £250.00 for the pleasure.
I paid for a diagnostic check which found no problems.
A "hands on" mechanic said it is the coil pack & although I haven't had it fixed yet I will let you know how I get on.

Do you have any other advice?

Sunday, 29 May 2005

Discussion Archived

Hathi
Joined Apr 2005
5 posts

Thanks for the response.

I changed the plugs, oil, and air filter but this had no effect on the wobble or stalling. I spoke to my local Vaxhaull Dealer who suggested it might be a 'sticky throttle valve', so I put a shot of Redex in the tank and went for a 50 mile drive on the motorway. This seemed to clear it for about a week, but now the wobble is back, and the stalling problem is less frequent but still there.

I think the stalling and wobble are worse if the weather is damp/wet. Have you noticed the same thing?

Thursday, 2 June 2005

Discussion Archived

Gibson
Joined May 2005
2 posts

Yes - the problem is worse in damp/wet whether and very dangerous at junctions/roundabouts.
I have done a little more research & seem to get the message that the coil pack is the problem. I am hoping to get this looked at in the next 2 weeks & will let you know. (PS - my problem relates to a 1998 1.6 8v Vectra)

Thursday, 2 June 2005

Discussion Archived

Hathi
Joined Apr 2005
5 posts

Interesting.

Getting worse in damp weather certainly points to electric/ignition problems.......

I will have a look at the coil and let you know how I get on.

Thanks for the info.

Thursday, 2 June 2005

Discussion Archived

Pete
Joined Jun 2005
1 posts

I have same problem with 1999 Vectra auto.
I have heard that its a small valve that needs cleaning or changing.
Dont know what valve or where it is.
If anyone has ideas on problem, let me know please.

Wednesday, 8 June 2005

Discussion Archived

Craig
Joined Jun 2005
1 posts

Hello

I also have the 2000 1.6 8v Astra which has the intermitant idle and cutting out problems and was also advised to replace the coil pack as the full service I have just had done has not rectified the fault. It also sometimes has a judder at aroud 40-60mph. Has anyone replaced the coil pack and solved the problem? There are also a number of places who sell the coil packs a lot cheaper than the dealers who are quoting around £150

Friday, 24 June 2005

Discussion Archived

makatac
Joined Sep 2005
1 posts

I've just started having this problem with my 1.6 1999 Astra 8v, its only done about 24000 miles. Got it booked in at the dealer next week, is it safe to drive it in the meantime? I only do about 20 miles a day, but it happened to me twice this morning, so far only at junctions, but I worry it could go on the motorway.

Thursday, 1 September 2005

Discussion Archived

Hathi
Joined Apr 2005
5 posts

My car only stalled when going into netural, and braking. I had a Exhaust Gas Valve changed at a main dealer, and it appear to have solved the problem.

Eventually my ECU warning light came on and the car wnt into limp-home. Which then meant the dealer could get an error code, and find the fault.

My car never stalled when driving, only when slowing down and changing gear.

I Hope this helps.

Thursday, 1 September 2005

Discussion Archived

LPG Elite V6
Joined Sep 2005
8 posts

Souns like the EGR valve is sticking open or there is a fault with the ignition. If the problem is worse when it's damp it's more likely ignition.

Try giving the area around the coil pack a thorough clean to remove any oily residue from around the HT leads, also check that the crankcase vent hose ( short rubber elbow about 1" diameter - £6.50) hasn't split causing a build up of crud around this area.

Good luck...

Saturday, 3 September 2005

Discussion Archived

Adverts Currently On Preloved

ASTRA COUPE BLACK, UNDER...

2006 VAUXHALL ASTRA

VAUXHALL ASTRA MK2...

2004 VAUXHALL ASTRA

ASTRA ENVOY ESTATE DIESEL

VAUXHALL FRONTERA 2.0...

NOVA MANUAL AND HAND BOOK

TOYOTA AVENSIS 2.0 D-4D TR...

Place an ad here for free

» More vauxhall ads...

astra fixer
Joined Sep 2005
1 posts

hi ive had this prob for about 6 weeks and just put up with it.i went to the dealership and spoke to a mechanic who said its probably the intake gasket, or the idle sensor or the exhaust diversion valve.-today i decided to find the prob through elimination, being a bit of a home mechanic and a lot of electronic background, i started the car and let it warm to 1/ 4 tempi then proceded to disconnect and reconnect all connectors to sensors and or just connectors. the only result i had was for the engine to stall on disconnection of the edv and the sensor on top of the intake manifold under the bracket-however this did put the light on for engine problem on the dash. cancellable by disconnecting the lower of the two large connectors by the electronic distributor, whilst the engine is running-reconnect and restart. check-remake the connection to the accelerator sensor located on the acc pedal. after doing all this i took it for a 25 mile round trip with no probs whatsoever, concluding that the problem was a dodgy connection cured by unseating and reseating all the connectors.

Sunday, 11 September 2005

Discussion Archived

shaun10
Joined Oct 2005
2 posts

I have spent abt 2 hrs going through messages and it seems No one has answers. I have an Astra 1.6 8 Valve Estate. W reg (2000) Ran fine for months until a service was done. Then on a long trip after abt 250 miles it behaved as though I had kangaroo Juice in it but has never got to the point of cutting out. Blamed the garage I got the fuel from. Occured twice more after 150 miles and then again on the next section at 50 miles. On return to Uk has been intermittent but is now doing it at slow speeds again after a full service. Plugs, Leads etc changed - Major Service re done and timing belt. Now garage is saying Coil is the problem. No one seems to say wether this has fixed the problem so can anyone say yes it has Fixed the problem by replacing the coil as I go on another long trip and Garage want £130 before fitting which I don't think is going to cure it.
Thanks

Saturday, 15 October 2005

Discussion Archived

shaun10
Joined Oct 2005
2 posts

I have now changed the Coil. Originally Quoted £72 then wrong one arrived. Other Quotes of £135 but got it for £105 and fitted myself and I am disabled. Speaking with Vauxhall they have told me its the EGR Sensor??? Cured 3 out of 5 cars that they have had in with this problem but they cannot and won't Gaurentee it. Changed the coil and seemed fine but then started again slightly. Note Stared Headed Allen Key needed or you may ruin head of the Bolts. The Garage who serviced the car have quoted at least £250 to do that sensor. About to go on a long trip so see what happens as returning to Vauxhall, the rubber between Bonnet and Headlamp near the Battery was missing. They now say this could be the cause as water getting into Electrics. Just one escuse after another as it seem they are aware of the fault from the Production Stage but will not do anything as to costly to get all cars returned especially as it starts after the car is out of Warrenty. Will keep you all posted.

Monday, 24 October 2005

Discussion Archived

tiny
Joined Oct 2005
7 posts

Ive had same problem on a Astra,cavalier and vectra and its the oxygen sensor trouble is there are 2.One on the inlet and one on the exhaust.A good garage should find it with diagnostic computer.
Usually cost me around £120 for everything fitted

Friday, 28 October 2005

Discussion Archived

Messages 1 to 14 of 14.

Important Note

All messages are submitted by visitors to this web site, and represent their own personal opinion. They do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Preloved.

You use this information at your own risk. Preloved can not be held responsible for any damages or loss resulting from the use of this site. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more details.