Advertise here

Messages 1 to 20 of 40.

michael
Joined Apr 2005
1 posts

can enyone tell me the timein mark and pionts gap for 970 cc bedford rascal 1989

Friday, 22 April 2005

Discussion Archived

night owl
Joined Apr 2005
86 posts

The timing mark will be top dead centre, the mark is on the flywheel which can be seen through the timing inspection hole on the transmission bellhousing (may have a rubber plug over it about the size of a 50p piece). The points gap is 0.40 to 0.50mm.

night owl

Friday, 29 April 2005

Discussion Archived

richard
Joined May 2005
2 posts

Can anyone tell me were the choke is on the carbureter. I have just bought a Rascal minus the choke cable and cannot see were the new cable will connect.

Thanks Richard

Friday, 6 May 2005

Discussion Archived

night owl
Joined Apr 2005
86 posts

The choke connects just below where the outer cable of the throttle cable meets the metal top plate. The outer cable of the choke is held in a metal clamp secured by a screw.
If you need any more help just ask.

night owl

Friday, 6 May 2005

Discussion Archived

richard
Joined May 2005
2 posts

Thank you for this. I will let you know how I go on.

Regards

Friday, 6 May 2005

Discussion Archived

skews
Joined Jul 2005
1 posts

does any one know what the offset and stud patterns are for the rascal as im after some alloy wheels and need to know if any cars have the same setup

Thursday, 28 July 2005

Discussion Archived

426msuic
Joined Aug 2005
4 posts

Hi.

My Rascal will not start at present. The engine turns over but will not fire up. The fuel pump turns over very fast (around 50 clicks per sercond) constantly & doesn't slow down at all. Does this mean that the fuel pump is not working & I need to replace it or that there may be a feul blockage or anything else.

Apologies if this question is a common problem, but I don't know a lot about mechanical problems & don't really have the money to spend on parts/garages if they are not needed.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards

Ian

Monday, 29 August 2005

Discussion Archived

night owl
Joined Apr 2005
86 posts

Make sure the battery is fully charged, I know from experiance that a partially charged battery on the rascal will not start it no matter how good the engine is turning over.

Check for any splits in the fuel pipe or any loose connections on it, the pump should slow down and stop with ignition on and engine not running once it pressurises the system, and then restart once engine starts running. Read further on in this post on checking if fuel is reaching carb.

Check for a spark at the plugs and from the coil. If your not getting a spark at the plugs but got a spark from the coil then check inside the distributor to make sure the points are opening (these have a small tendency to close up at times). If the points are opening, is there a big spark between the points, if there is you need a new condensor (small cylindrical thing with a wire going to the distributor, on the side of the distributor.). Also check the filter on the carb where the fuel line enters the carb, it may want cleaning. Check the fuel is reaching the carb by taking the fuel line off at the carb, place it in a container and turn the engine over on the starter, there should be decent spirts of fuel from it if the pump is working properly, a very poor flow would indicate a faulty pump. Also, on the carb make sure the solenoid is working (cylindrical thing screwed in to the carb with a wire coming from it), it should click when the key is turned.

Worst scenario is a bent camshaft, again from experiance after almost completing a 200 mile round trip but breaking down 3 miles from home, LUCKY!!!. Turned out to be a bent camshaft, replaced it and van started right away.

night owl

Wednesday, 31 August 2005
Edited Wednesday, 31 August 2005

Discussion Archived

426msuic
Joined Aug 2005
4 posts

Thank you very much night owl. I will check all of these.

Regards

Ian

Wednesday, 31 August 2005

Discussion Archived

Gra
Joined Sep 2005
5 posts

Could be a faulty balast resistor in the starter motor. See if it push starts or tow starts.

Friday, 2 September 2005

Discussion Archived

Adverts Currently On Preloved

AUSTINSUITE TEAK SIDEBOARD...

16.3-17HH GELDING FOR PART...

FIRST INTEREST A LONG TIME...

CITROEN C2 1.4 HDI DESIGN 3DR

BEAUTIFUL CONNEMARA FOR LOAN

MATTERS OF LIFE 2 FAITH IN...

EXPERIENCED FREELANCE...

MATTERS OF LIFE 1 DON?S...

Place an ad here for free

» More other makes and general discussion ads...

426msuic
Joined Aug 2005
4 posts

Thank you for the suggestion. I will take a look.

Many thanks

Ian

Friday, 2 September 2005

Discussion Archived

night owl
Joined Apr 2005
86 posts

Gra,

If the starter motor is turning the engine over and working, why check the ballast resistor on it?

night owl

Saturday, 3 September 2005

Discussion Archived

Gra
Joined Sep 2005
5 posts

Hi night owl

Sorry for delay in reply as I have been away on holiday.

If the ballast resistor on the starter has failed it will be delivering the wrong voltage to the coil which results in the spark being generated by the plugs being far too weak to start a cold engine. Starter turns over fine but engine will not start. It is possible to catch the engine on the over run by pressing the gas peddle when you release the ignition key but the battery needs to be it top condition to develope enough speed in the engine to do this. It takes practice and the battery usually goes flat first. Vehicle will push or tow start no problem at all.

This is the most common fault I have found on Rascals. A faulty or failed ballat resistor is normally the reason why a Rascal is difficult to start especially in winter.

Gra

Thursday, 15 September 2005

Discussion Archived

Gra
Joined Sep 2005
5 posts

A simple way to check if your ballast resistor is ok is when you start your Rascal.

A good resistor will fire up the engine whilst the starter is turning. If it does not start until you release the key and the engine is on the over run then you have a problem.

Also note that a lot of so called recon starters have faulty resistors as they are not normally checked! If buying a recon starter make sure it fires up the engine whilst you are turning the key and starter is running. Just keep on taking them back until you get one that works properly.

Discussion Archived

426msuic
Joined Aug 2005
4 posts

Many thanks to everyone for their help.

I have plenty to try & have a look at.

Kind regards

Ian

Discussion Archived

night owl
Joined Apr 2005
86 posts

Hi Gra,

Sorry for the delay in response to your answer, my computer went belly-up in a big way and could not respond to anything. You're right about ballast resistor, I forgot it was a different type set-up then other starter motors which don't have a feed wire from them to the coil directly. Only really got the chance to look at mine properly the other day because mine started to play up and not even turn the engine over, after taking it out and testing it turned out to be just a bit of corrosion on the battery terminals that was just stopping enough juice getting through to the starter motor.
These things are made to try us!

night owl.

Tuesday, 11 October 2005

Discussion Archived

p.
Joined Nov 2005
2 posts

help needed. i have a bedford rascal which i am having problems with.first thing it starts fine. and runs well .after about 20 mins .of driving it starts playing up running rough.then it just stops and conks out...then if i leave it for approx 10 mins.it starts again runs perfect...then 10 mins down the line starts running rough again .and conks out?i have changed coil..leads...points...rotar arm...dis cap...condenser.... the petrol pump seems too be working ok...any help would or advice would be very gratful.. its driving me nuts?cheers p.

Sunday, 6 November 2005

Discussion Archived

stretch
Joined Nov 2005
1 posts

have just aquired a bedford rascal, never had one before, so i know nothing about them at all, it's been playing up when it comes to starting , i have read the other questions and replies, and it sounds all to familiar, my question is,
does the rascal have a normal size battery or one of a special
size, specifically for the rascal
the one in it , when i eventually found it, lol,
looks small and is packed in with what looks like socks,
i presume to stop it moving about

Sunday, 20 November 2005

Discussion Archived

p.
Joined Nov 2005
2 posts

hi stretch. battery on bedford rascal normal i had a bit of trouble with my battery at first.it seems there all all 25ah.but i bought a heavy duty batt 40ah same size...there do two the same sizes but different ah?as for the socks mate if there fit thats a bonus?all the best p.......as for the starting prob it seems a lot have trouble with the carbs?not that sure...

Tuesday, 22 November 2005

Discussion Archived

Joey
Joined Nov 2005
1 posts

Dear All,
I would like to fit alloys to my bedford rascal van. My Van is a "H" reg. Does anyone know what car alloys will fit my van. I have been to my local alloys dealer and they cant help me and am fed up that no one can help my inquiry.

If anyone knows the answer to my question I will be very grateful for their advice. I want my alloys to be either 13 inch or 14 inch alloys, I dont want to go for 15inch alloys.

Thanking you,
Joey.
Mob: 07956 320 976

Wednesday, 23 November 2005

Discussion Archived

Messages 1 to 20 of 40.

Important Note

All messages are submitted by visitors to this web site, and represent their own personal opinion. They do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Preloved.

You use this information at your own risk. Preloved can not be held responsible for any damages or loss resulting from the use of this site. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more details.