Advertise here

Astra diesel won't start., (another!)...

CliveHill
Joined Sep 2005
4 posts

Hi everyone,

I have a 1997 1.7TD LS Astra. It recently had a problem starting first time, the engine would turn over and over but not fire. Eventually it simply would not start and I had to be recovered.

After changing the glow plugs it finally started, however now it only starts intermittently. Sometimes first time, other times not at all whilst still turning over.

Also, on occasion once started it will not turn off. I'm a little stumped as to what the problem might be, I assume it's some sort of electrical fault (immobiliser?) but I'm not sure where to start. Is there any way of bypassing the immobiliser or checking if it's working?

Thanks

Clive

Saturday, 17 September 2005

Discussion Archived

Dave
Joined May 2004
1393 posts

Clive,
Have a look on your engine, can you see the injection pump on the front of the engine ? if so look for a wiring loom that comes out of the back of the pump and goes into a three pin connector, the loom is about 10 inches long.
Next time it doesn't start - unplug this three pin connector and re-connect it then retry starting it.
If it starts after doing this then the immobiliser unit on the rear of the pump needs to be removed and the fuel cut off switch will have to be rewired.

Dave

Discussion Archived

CliveHill
Joined Sep 2005
4 posts

Dave,

thanks for the advice. I gave it a go (it took ages for it to actually fail again, typically!) and it still failed to start after removing and replacing the 3 pin plug. However, I have discovered that the problem is actually the immobiliser circuit/switch at the ignition end. It's the device that fits around the ignition barrel under the steering column shroud. Moving it around would fix the problem, and giving it a wiggle would make it return and so on and so forth. I'm not sure how it works as it doesn't actually connect physically to the barrel. Magnet perhaps?

My question now is: can this unit be replaced with an off the shelf part or is it a specific unit for my car? Either the specific model or actually to my individual car. The circuit board has 'LS' stamped on it so I hope it's just a model part.

Clive

Discussion Archived

Dave
Joined May 2004
1393 posts

Clive,
The device around the ignition barrel senses a chip in your ignition key, if it recieves the correct signal from you key it will disarm the immobiliser at the injection pump.
The likely fault is the chip in the key, have a look at your key.
You can still get round this by modifying the immobiliser on the injection pump.
Your best bet is to locate a mobile auto electrician who should know how to carry out this mod.

Dave

Sunday, 18 September 2005

Discussion Archived

CliveHill
Joined Sep 2005
4 posts

Thanks Dave,

I may well have to get the fuel cut off switch rewired then as the chip reader is definitely knackered, one of the chips on the circuit board appears to be loose. I tried to solder it but it was just too small and now it really is wrecked!

Is the reader a generic part? I'm hoping that it only reads the key and passes the information to the ECU and it doesn't have to be matched to the chip :(

Clive

Monday, 19 September 2005

Discussion Archived

Dave
Joined May 2004
1393 posts

Clive,
I think you might be correct, but I am not 100% certain.
I could try and find out for you.

Dave

Discussion Archived

CliveHill
Joined Sep 2005
4 posts

I'd be extremely grateful if you could! The new reader would cost me about £53 I think, if I then discovered I had to have it recovered to a Vauxhall garage and then reprogrammed as well then I would not be happy.

I'd consider getting shot of the car in fact, that and the oil leak, and the need for new brakes soon may just tip me over the edge.

Discussion Archived

Important Note

All messages are submitted by visitors to this web site, and represent their own personal opinion. They do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Preloved.

You use this information at your own risk. Preloved can not be held responsible for any damages or loss resulting from the use of this site. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more details.