Advertise here

Potterton netaheat, no pilot light!

Messages 1 to 18 of 18.

Johnny G
Joined Oct 2004
68 posts

The boiler is a Potterton neta heat profile 40e and was working ok! then i turned it on the other night and i can see it is sparking but it will not light up the gas! has anyone any ideas as to what the problem could be? the local heating guy wants £500 to come and look at it and you can guess what my answer was to that, i would really appreciate any help/suggestions any one may have.

Wednesday, 28 September 2005

Discussion Archived

Meldrew's mate
Joined Apr 2005
52 posts

Johnny, your local gas fitter must really not want to come to your house! For £500 I'd fix your boiler AND your mother in law. Also I think your sister Gina should have won Eurovision - cheating foreigners!

it seems as though you have no gas going to the pilot, until this is lit and detected the main burner will not light.

1. Check the obvious; gas to the house? Meter valve on? Do other gas appliances work?
2. Check the gas isolation valve (bottom left corner of boiler) is open. It is normally never turned off, so if it worked yesterday it's very unlikely to have been (poltergeists, gremlins excepted)
3. If that doesn't solve it you are really down to checking the gas valve, and this is legally the domain of the CORGI registered gas fitter. There are two solenoid coils on it (there are also two makes of gas valve!), one of them switches on the pilot supply just before the sparking starts. Switch the boiler off, then wait 20 secs. Switch it back on and LISTEN. The fan will start whirring, and after about 10 seconds the pressure switch will operate with a quiet click. Immediately you should hear a more metallic clunk as the pilot solenoid energises, but I suspect you won't if it's broken!
If it is the gas valve you WILL need a CORGI reg'd fitter to fit it, look in yellow pages for a full page CORGI ad in the central htg section.

4. If no joy here's a long shot! When the boiler is ticking away trying to ignite the pilot try GENTLY moving the harness of wires to and fro at the gas valve end (you could say just a little bit, ooh ah, a little bit more...), then at the plastic plug end. It has been known for the PCB pins to be loose, if they are this action will get you a temporary result.

Let us know how you get on......PJ

Thursday, 29 September 2005

Discussion Archived

Johnny G
Joined Oct 2004
68 posts

PJ, Thanks for a very quick reply, and your humour in the post is most welcome, excellent in fact, i`ll try out what you have suggested and let you know the outcome, BTW my mother in law is allready fixed, she`s in re-hab, and Gina still sobs into her pillow now and again but hey! thanks a lot, i`ll be in touch, Johnny G.

Saturday, 1 October 2005

Discussion Archived

catherine
Joined Oct 2005
1 posts

how do i light the pilot on my potterton netaheat 40e boiler ? there is a red cross knob under neath , is it supposed to push up ?. how does that work ?
i have never had any trouble with the boiler prior to this and have been here for four years!
If any one has any good ideas i would appreciate it!

Saturday, 22 October 2005

Discussion Archived

Meldrew's mate
Joined Apr 2005
52 posts

That red knob is the boiler overheat, if you push it up and feel/hear a definite click then it had operated due to an overheat condition. If it's limp (ooh err!) then it's OK.

Trace the source of the overheat if you don't want a repeat. First to check will be the pump, followed by two-port valves (dependant upon system)

Thursday, 27 October 2005

Discussion Archived

chada
Joined Nov 2005
1 posts

Hi there

I also have a potterton netaheat, and have the same problem as you.....sparking but pilot light not coming on. Can you let me know what you did and what the outcome was...........what should I do.....?If you reply I promise NOT to fix your mum!!!!!!!

Thursday, 24 November 2005

Discussion Archived

Johnny G
Joined Oct 2004
68 posts

Hi chada, the unit was eventually replaced with a new one because it worked out cheaper and had a guarantee, and we took out a contract with British Gas on a pay monthly basis, but what Meldrews mate said about the old unit was true and helpful. Having the new unit also means peace of mind as well, gina is nice and warm but still whinging and the mother in law is on her last legs with blue lips, as for me mum, well we would have to hold a seance to get in touch with her, good luck, johnny g.

Thursday, 1 December 2005

Discussion Archived

Stan
Joined Dec 2005
1 posts

On the Netaheat them, our Netaheat has decided to stay on, regardless of what the room stat or control box is saying.

This is OK in that I can keep the house and water warm but means I have to power off the system every night and come down at 6am and power it on in the mornings.

It did this a year ago then fixed itself after a couple of days. This time is seems to be staying ON. Which, of course is better than staying OFF.

I assume it's a circuit board problem and that I should save up to replace the boiler. Am I thinking along the right lines? All suggestions welcome as this is not the tiem of year to be putting new CH in.

Monday, 5 December 2005

Discussion Archived

Han
Joined Dec 2005
2 posts

Any help desperately needed!
I have a Potterton Netaheat Profile 80 in a rented house which has gone out. Landlady says delay with plumber and I'm freezing! The boiler is trying to fire up but not doing so.I've had years of previous experience with faulty boilers so took the front panel off to see if I could fix anything obvious. There's no pilot (maybe that's normal on this boiler?) and the only thing I can see that looks touchable by a non expert like me is the gravity/pump switch. Doesn't seem like that would be part of my problem though. Previous tenant left instructions on how to 'reboot' system so to speak, but the switch underneath doesn't even click. In fact it doesn't even seem like a switch but a loose wobbly crappy bit of plastic which has no resistance in it ... Help! Anyone got any advice??

Reading Meldrew's mate's advice above, it definitely isn't doing the second click (ie. the pilot solenoid) so perhaps that's the prob but to be honest I can't even work out if this should have a pilot light or wot.

I don't know what it is about me ... boilers and me always equals trouble.

Thanks very much.

Wednesday, 14 December 2005
Edited Wednesday, 14 December 2005

Discussion Archived

Kat
Joined Dec 2005
2 posts

Here is someone else desperately needing help. Recently moved into flat with Vokera combi boiler and previous owner didn't leave instructions. Pilot light went off and I have no idea how to reignite it. It's been off before, and the guys who were here to put in new bathroom fixed it at the time. They said they had to re-adjust the pressure - again, no idea how to do that.
Not very experienced DIY-er as you can see, but don't want to spend ridiculous amount of money to get heating engineer in.
Any help very much appreciated.

Wednesday, 21 December 2005

Discussion Archived

Adverts Currently On Preloved

VINTAGE BRASS CHANDELIER...

BOX OF FLOOR TILES (15)

VINTAGE FRENCH BRASS...

MAHOGANY PARQUET FLOORING

BLOCK PAVING

FOR SHARE

TOOLS.

WOOD

Place an ad here for free

» More diy ads...

Han
Joined Dec 2005
2 posts

Hello Kat
I used to have one of those. I can tell you what I used to do but I am also a hapless tenant so not in any way an expert!!

I had the same problem with loss of pressure. I am reliably informed that this means there is a leak somewhere in the system (as it's a closed system) and therefore a drop in pressure needs to be checked properly as it will just happen again and again. However I carried on for about 10 years just repressurising the system as no-one I called out could find the leak.

OK, how to do it is this. Somewhere below the boiler in amongst the pipes, if you can access this, are taps which let water into the system. On mine the plumbers had left a very handy sort of circuit pipe thing between the pipes which allowed easy repressurisation - apparently they're not supposed to so you may not have this. As far as I can see (which again is not necessarily right!) you can still repressurise by letting water in using the taps on the pipes. You should make sure not to overpressurise - do you have a manual because it will tell you the correct pressure (I can't remember what it was now). Then it should relight.

Relighting on mine (it was an old model so yours might be different) involved simply pressing a button under the boiler repeatedly until the pilot lit, then holding it down for 20 seconds and releasing. If it stays on then it's fine, but if it goes out at that point you have to wait three minutes before you try again.

My boiler was such a problem that I took out a British Gas contract which covered call out and parts - this worked fine until they deemed it too costly and refused to cover it any more. However it might be worth thinking about.

I'm sure someone else will post with perhaps more expert advice as I'm very aware that I am going entirely on my own personal experience here which might not help you!!

Good luck anyway.
Hannah

Discussion Archived

Kat
Joined Dec 2005
2 posts

Thanks very much Hannah. Your help is very much appreciated. I think the boiler has the 'circuit pipe' that you have talked about.
Hopefully I will manage to follow your instructions when I get home tonight ;)
Thanks again.

Discussion Archived

Lenco
Joined Dec 2005
1 posts

The post by Meldrews mate appears to be just the symptoms I have with my Netterheat. I do have the 1st clunk as the solenoid opens but then all I get is the constant clicking and sparking of the ignitor ie the pilot light will not light. The fan keeps running and there is a smell of gas at the exhaust outside. So basically my pilot will not light. Can anyone help me from here ?
Thankyou

Friday, 30 December 2005

Discussion Archived

Meldrew's mate
Joined Apr 2005
52 posts

Hello all,
regarding Netaheat electronic, and profile boilers you should be able to see the spark trying to ignite the pilot after the first clunk. Once lit the sparking should stop until the second clunk brings in the main burner. If there's no sparking but you can hear the sound then you may have a bad ignition lead or broken gas valve.

Don't remove the main cover unless you are CORGI registered, these boilers have the nickname "widow-maker" in some circles.
Further advice from very knowledgeable crew on DIYNOT dot co dot uk.

Wednesday, 4 January 2006

Discussion Archived

fernikins
Joined Feb 2006
3 posts

potterton boiler

I switched the boiler on and it started up but before it so , it made a wurring sound about three times ( for a very short time) then started.... as if trying to start...but then it fired up no problem....is this a normal start up?
This is my mothers boiler so I am not famlier with it..

I had a corgi chap test for gas pressure and leaks etc and its fine...I have left it on constant now and seems to be ok...

The system is about six years old...

Thursday, 9 February 2006

Discussion Archived

russell
Joined Dec 2005
26 posts

could have been the fan sticking as it started up ,might be a sign of a fault developing with the fan itself .if it fails the boiler wont run without it .some netaheats do have a noisy fan but continue to function perfectly ok the problem lies within the mountings the motor of the fan is bedded on they wear and the location pins of the unit develope freeplay allowing the motor to move slightly .regards russ

Thursday, 9 February 2006

Discussion Archived

Tony
Joined Feb 2006
2 posts

Have just discovered that my Neta Profile 80 won't start,and it's cold here!
Having read your useful comments I seem to have the fan coming on and the first clunk but no clicking from the ignition and no visible sparking/flame. Is there any manual ignition switch? Can't see anything.
Have checked and the Gas is working in the house.
Any ideas???
Tony

Sunday, 26 February 2006

Discussion Archived

Tony
Joined Feb 2006
2 posts

P
Have just tried your fiddling with the wiring looms idea (4)(having put the main cover back on first !!!) and amazingly it fired up!!

Many thanks for your good advice ,

Fingers crossed!!!

The connection to the igniter looks smokey so guess it needs a service - have not had a problem since I moved in.
Cheers
T

Sunday, 26 February 2006

Discussion Archived

Messages 1 to 18 of 18.

Important Note

All messages are submitted by visitors to this web site, and represent their own personal opinion. They do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Preloved.

You use this information at your own risk. Preloved can not be held responsible for any damages or loss resulting from the use of this site. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more details.