Advertise here

clutch judder on 2003 astra active 1.6 8v

Messages 1 to 16 of 16.

ian s
Joined Sep 2005
5 posts

Does anyone have the problem of severe clutch judder on their astra active 1.6, this generally happens first thing in the morning and then once the car is warmed up disappears

Wednesday, 28 September 2005

Discussion Archived

Frank
Joined Oct 2005
4 posts

Yes - I have a 2004 1.6 Astra and it started a few weeks ago - exactly the same symptoms - It's going to a dealership for a check next week.

Tuesday, 18 October 2005

Discussion Archived

ian s
Joined Sep 2005
5 posts

frank - i would do the same but was put off by the £700 bill they would try and pin on me, ie blaming me for it and once in bits you have not much option. The dealer said i would have to sign a disclaimer before they would strip down. Mines done it from day one, not much worsr so i may leave until i sell or part ex. What do you think??

Thursday, 20 October 2005

Discussion Archived

Frank
Joined Oct 2005
4 posts

Hi Ian
I'll let you know what happens when I take the car in on Monday.
Interestingly I searched the net and found one other person with exactly the same problem on a 2003 Astra and another with a 2003 Vectra both using car mechanics forums in search of a solution. I'm still not entirely convinced the clutch is to blame although the judder occurs when the clutch is engaged. One of the other guys speculates it is perhaps an abs problem. I wonder whether it is engine management/carburettor problem as temperature plays such a part in it. It only judders in the morning or if the car has been unused for 12hrs+, is worse when the weather's cold and the problem disappears after a few minutes.

Friday, 21 October 2005

Discussion Archived

ian s
Joined Sep 2005
5 posts

Frank - exactly like mine keep me posted please

ian s

Monday, 24 October 2005

Discussion Archived

Frank
Joined Oct 2005
4 posts

Hi Ian
took car in to Stevens - big Vauxhall franchise in Crawley. Same prognosis as you. Definately clutch going. (after 12K!). Same scenario - 3hrs labour to strip clutch. By the time you have costed it all out it's £700+ - They are trying to contact Vauxhall to ask for goodwill gesture in the event that it's a faulty part, but they won't know that until it's stripped. If it's wear it's down to me.
Going to ask my independent garage down the road how much he would charge for new clutch as he is much cheaper than the dealer.
Cheers
Frank

Monday, 24 October 2005

Discussion Archived

ian s
Joined Sep 2005
5 posts

Thanks frank, let me know result!

still should'nt go after our mileage don't care what the main dealer says, i'm pretty steady so must be a fault but i suppose we have to prove it

cheers

Ian S

Monday, 24 October 2005

Discussion Archived

tony
Joined Sep 2004
4 posts

hi everyone .i too have a2002 astra 1.6 8v that appears to have developed a clutch judder when cold and mine has only done 15,000 miles.this problem only occurred at about 10,000 miles.strangely enough the car became a bit sluggish at the same time of said clutch judder .so took it to vauxhall dealer and they re set my ecu to version 10 upgrade which cancells out the egr valve .sorted out clutch judder plus car responds better .problem solved

Monday, 24 October 2005

Discussion Archived

ian s
Joined Sep 2005
5 posts

thats intresting Tony, might try that one, like i said i'm not convinced its clutch because mines done it since day one.

Ian S

Tuesday, 25 October 2005

Discussion Archived

IanS
Joined Dec 2005
1 posts

Interesting, I also have the same problem (and my names Ian S as well!)
I have a 53 Astra with 14k on the clock, it started suffering with clutch judder first thing in the morning, took it to my local dealer, who reset the ECU and it ran perfectly that day, gradually got worse over a week or so, took it back and they re-tested it, now they say they will have to take the gearbox/clutch out to have a look at it, 50/50 chance it will be worn/faulty - may cost me up about £650 or nothing if it's covered by waranty. Has anyone found a permanent solution to this problem?

Monday, 19 December 2005

Discussion Archived

Adverts Currently On Preloved

VAUXHALL TIGRA RED

2012 VAUXHALL AMPERA

VAUXHALL ALLOYS

VECTRA ELITE 2.2I DIRECT 2006

VECTRA C PARTS FOR SALE

VAUXHALL CORSA 1.4SXI...

2009 VAUXHALL CORSA

VAUXHALL ASTRA 1.6...

Place an ad here for free

» More vauxhall ads...

tony
Joined Sep 2004
4 posts

yes i had my ecu reset to version 10 which cancels out the( egr valve )which caused the cutch judder mine has been fine for 4 months since this was done

Tuesday, 20 December 2005

Discussion Archived

nai
Joined Jan 2006
8 posts

hi,

the problem seems to be the slave cylinder as iv had this problem on my 2001 astra. if the slave cylinder is leaking on to the clutch then the clutch will jadder untill all oill is cleaned off. this is why it does it first thing in the morning because the oil builds up on the clutch. hope this helps

nainesh

Sunday, 22 January 2006

Discussion Archived

Frank
Joined Oct 2005
4 posts

Hi
Thanks for that - the garage just said the clutch would have to be stripped down to investigate. I'm still suspicious of the ecu. The problem was quite bad in oct/nov but faded away to some extent. It is much less violent now and most mornings is not a problem. It came back last week when the weather was milder but has gone again now. It never happens when there's a frost! I'm still just monitoring the situation as it is not really any inconvenience.

Monday, 23 January 2006

Discussion Archived

nai
Joined Jan 2006
8 posts

thats ok m8, just becarful vauxhall dont rip u off, they quated me £700 for a new clutch at £45 an hour. iv done alot of work on my 201 astra so if u need any advice or help dont hesitate, i know it can be very hard to dind certain probs

nai

Monday, 23 January 2006

Discussion Archived

slapstick
Joined Jun 2005
1 posts

Can the slave cylinder problem be found without having to strip the clutch out first, or is it only evident when they've taken it apart?

Ian S

Tuesday, 24 January 2006

Discussion Archived

nai
Joined Jan 2006
8 posts

well, the only way you can tell is to strip out the clutch i have this problem at the moment. if u have to change the clutch it is advisable to change the slave cylinder. but ufortunatley you will have to strip out the clutch to do it. the other way you can tell is to see if your loosing hydrolic fluid. but very unlikely

nai

Tuesday, 24 January 2006

Discussion Archived

Messages 1 to 16 of 16.

Important Note

All messages are submitted by visitors to this web site, and represent their own personal opinion. They do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Preloved.

You use this information at your own risk. Preloved can not be held responsible for any damages or loss resulting from the use of this site. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more details.