Advertise here

PEUGEOT 806 CLUTCH PEDAL PROBLEM

Showing results 1 to 20 of 24.

FROGGY
Joined Jan 2006
12 posts

I HAVE A 1998 PEUGEOT 806 2.1 TDI THAT OCCASSIONALLY EXHIBITS A STRANGE CLUTCH PEDAL PROBLEM.
I CAN DRIVE HAPPILY FOR MANY MILES AND THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN I DEPRESS THE CLUTCH PEDAL AND IT MAKES A SNAPPING SOUND AND THE PEDAL STICKS TO THE FLOOR!
I CAN LIFT THE PEDAL OFF THE FLOOR BY HAND AND OFTEN CONTINUE WITHOUT A FURTHER PROBLEM OR IT MAY HAPPEN A FEW TIMES MORE BEFORE THEN DISAPPEARING FOR WEEKS OR MONTHS.
LOOKED AT THE CABLE ROUTING AND NOTICED SOME RUBBING CONTACT WITH A TUBE BUT NO SIGN OF ANY REAL DAMAGE TO THE OUTER CABLE.
THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE A FRAYED INNER CABLE THAT COULD CAUSE THE STICKING BUT THAT DOESN'T EXPLAIN WHY IT LITERALLY SEEMS TO SNAP DOWN AS IF THE CABLE HAS BROKEN.
ANYONE GOT ANY IDEAS BEFORE I GET STRANDED FAR FROM HOME?

Friday, 13 January 2006

Discussion Archived

Al's Pug
Joined Feb 2005
2348 posts

hi

could you give the millage of the vehicle?,
Possabillities
1) The top bush on the pedal or arm is worm and sticks in one spot
2) The inner cable is frayed and is getting stuck in the outer
3) The return spring on pedal arm is damaged

With out seeeing the vehicle it is very dificult to be precise, but hope these ideas may be of use to you.

Al

Saturday, 14 January 2006

Discussion Archived

FROGGY
Joined Jan 2006
12 posts

Thanks for involvement here Al.
I had considered a frayed cable as a possible problem but I am a little concerned about removing the cable to check.
I guess it should be quite straightforward but I can't see how a frayed cable would result in the "snapping" sensation I experience
I pulled apart a black plastic spring loaded device on the pedal which appears to be a device to lighten the clutch action...more push than pull.
That seemed to be fine and the clutch return spring looks AOK.
The clutch action is heavy although difficult to be sure over the growing miles if it has got any heavier.
BTW the mileage is quite high at 125,000 half of which I have put on the vehicle.
I think the most likely problem couild be yr first possibility listed, that of a worn top bush.
I guess the only way to find out will be to remove the pedal and see if there is any ovalisation?
When it does occur, which thankfully is very infrequent, it can result in the clutch engaging which is very disconcerting if one is still in gear.Obviously I am worried about the safety element here.

Neil

Monday, 16 January 2006

Discussion Archived

Ace
Joined Nov 2004
440 posts

Sounds like you have a problem with the clutch pedal to me.

Why not go out for the day at the weekend and phone your breakdown company to come and sort it out if you're not busy?

Monday, 16 January 2006

Discussion Archived

Gabriel
Joined Feb 2006
8 posts

Hi

I own exactly the same vehicle and last night experienced exactly the same problem. My initail thought was that the cable had snapped but pulling the pedal back up by hand allowed me to drive home.

Have you got to the bottom of the fault yet? I'd be very interested to find out what it is.

Regards

GH

Wednesday, 1 February 2006

Discussion Archived

FROGGY
Joined Jan 2006
12 posts

Hello GH,
wierd isn't it?
I am not sure if I have solved the problem but I dismantled the spring with the 2 piece plastic tube inside it.
This is fitted to the clutch pedal and looks to be a device that helps lighten the clutch action by pushing the pedal down.
I think it was kind of "jumping" into action and then jamming down.
I smeared the existing grease around the male part of the plastic and the problem seems to have gone away.
However as the problem only rears its head every now and then I cannot be sure I have solved the problem.

By the way to dismantle it push the pedal down to take the pressure off the spring and pull out the bottom metal clip.Pull the bottom part off the mounting on the pedal and the spring and female plastic part can be removed.When I did this it was a heart stopper as it kind of fell apart and I thought I had broken it and it would be difficult to refit.
My mistake was doing it when the pedal was "up" so it exploded.
Then remove the clip from the top part and distribute the grease evenly on the male end.
Probably made this sound complicated but it really isn't and is easy to refit.
In fact the pedal seeems to act perfectly well without this gizmo so don't worry about getting stranded from a garage.

The other idea put forward of frayed cable just doesn't feel right, and I looked at the bush on the pedal (albeit without dismantling it) and it looks OK.
Anyway let me know how you get on and if my problem reoccurs I will let you know.
regards
Neil

Thursday, 2 February 2006

Discussion Archived

Gabriel
Joined Feb 2006
8 posts

Thanks Neil

I'll give that a try and let you know if the problem re-occurs.

Fingers crossed :)

Gabe

Friday, 3 February 2006

Discussion Archived

FROGGY
Joined Jan 2006
12 posts

hello Gabe,
the problem reoccurred and now I know I have been treating the symptom not the cause by dismantling and regreasing the spring mechanism.
Simply I removed the spring when the pedal stuck down and the pedal popped back.
What I still don't know is why the "snapping sensation" occurs.
I have left the spring off as it seems to function perfectly well without it.
Did you find out anything yourself with yours?
regds Neil

Friday, 24 February 2006

Discussion Archived

Gabriel
Joined Feb 2006
8 posts

Hi Neil

I have not got to the bottom of the problem yet but I think the spring may be a "Red Herring".

It seems to me that the cable is coming away from the pedal. If it were still attached then with the pedal jammed down the clutch would surely be disengaged? I think the "snapping" sensation is the connection between the pedal and the cable giving way, (giving the same result as a snapped cable) but when you pull the pedal back up you re-connect it.

Any thoughts?

Regards

Gabe

Saturday, 25 February 2006

Discussion Archived

FROGGY
Joined Jan 2006
12 posts

Hi Gabe,
yes i think the spring is a "red herring" but by removing it as I have done it allows the pedal to return.This just makes it easier to drive should the problem reoccur.
Agree that the clutch doesn't disengage when the pedal does floor out so your analysis of a disconnection taking place is logical.
How it reconnects itself when the pedal is pulled up is a mystery but again I agree with your conclusion.
Can't see anything happening at the pedal end so will have a look at the gearbox end and see what I can find out. The ideal time to investigate is when the problem occurs which seems to becoming more often.
Will let you know if I find anything.
regds Neil

Sunday, 26 February 2006

Discussion Archived

Adverts Currently On Preloved

Place an ad here for free

» More peugeot ads...

Gabriel
Joined Feb 2006
8 posts

Unfortunately, I'm not very mechanically minded (hence coming to this site to see if anyone knew what the fault was :) ) but I have noticed one thing which may have a bearing.
My clutch was set very low with it biting with the pedal about an inch from the floor. It is now freed up considerably, after the fault occured, and is what I would consider a normal clutch action.
I know there is a device for auto adjusting the clutch cable...... Could the fault be found there?

Still clueless

Gabe :)

Sunday, 26 February 2006

Discussion Archived

Gabriel
Joined Feb 2006
8 posts

Hi Neil

I have found the cause of the problem. My clutch gave out in a carpark in town today and I was immediately able to jump out and take a look. What I found was.....

There is a white oblong plastic hoop / clip on the end of the cable at the pedal end. This hoop / clip had come off the hook on the clutch pedal. A close inspection showed that there seem to have once been a metal clip inside this hoop which kept the thing in place. This was possibly the initial "snap" that we both heard / felt when it first went and the clip broke.

With nothing holding the plastic clip in place, the rigidity of the metal clutch cable is lifting the plastic clip away from the hook on the pedal. A heavy or sudden pedal action is sometimes resulting in the hook failing to catch the plastic clip and the clip "pinging" off the pedal (leaving the clutch engaged as if the cable had snapped). Because everything is tightly packed behind the pedals, raising the pedal by hand usually allows the hook to slip back into the clip (but not always as I had found out).

My "tempory" solution was to re-engage the hook and clip then attach a small cable tie around the middle of the clip. This left some free play but not enough for the hook to disengage.

Have a look at the white plastic clip on the pedal end of the clutch cable. It is so loosely attached to the pedal atm that you can prod it off with your finger with very little pressure. Try securing it in place (but not too tightly as it is a moving connection) and I bet your problem will be solved. Obviously, a proper fix would be to replace the cable and hence the damaged plastic connection.

Regards

Gabe

Saturday, 11 March 2006

Discussion Archived

FROGGY
Joined Jan 2006
12 posts

Hello Gabe,
sorry to hear of the breakdown but glad you found your problem.
Your e mail galvanised me into action so went and took a look.
In my case the white plastic moulding you describe is intact with the metal clip in place.This prevents the cable nipple pushing up into the moulding when the clutch pedal is brought up and I can visualise exactly what was happening to you.
However when i disconnected the cable, which involved removing the brake pedal hinge bolt, I did notice that the black plastic cover (dust protector?) which houses the white moulding seemed to be snagging the cable adjuster.
Anyway I have removed the black cover and I really think might have found the solution to my problem.
Hopefully happy motoring for both of us from now on and much appreciated the exchange of ideas.
regards

Neil

Sunday, 12 March 2006

Discussion Archived

Gabriel
Joined Feb 2006
8 posts

Neil

My fault re-occured, and in an attempt to get to the bottom of it I manage to get the clutch pedal to slip everytime (it's a talent I have :( ) thus stranding my vehicle!

I did however find the fault which is the cable self adjuster (part of the cable itself).

The teeth had worn down and in my case (after much effort on my part) totally sheared off.

I had to bite the bullet and get the cable replaced (and the car towed).

The garage that towed me changed the cable for me and confirmed the fault.

I would think about changing your cable if your fault re-occurs (save your self a tow charge).

Good luck

Gabe

Monday, 20 March 2006

Discussion Archived

FROGGY
Joined Jan 2006
12 posts

Hi Gabe,
sorry to hear you had a "mare" at the end but again yr msg and funny clicking noises and a one off "stick" got me going again.
So I followed yr advice today and went and bought a cable.
Cost me 50 euros because I live in France (about 34 UKP) but reckoned like you that it will be better than a tow charge.
Fitted it in an hour or so after putting the car up on small ramps.
Had to remove the fascia under the steering wheel to get to the clutch pedal.Four screws and the fascia is off, two on the top leftish though very nicely hidden by plastic covers near the switches.
Unbolt the clutch pedal and move it to unhook the cable.Simple enough with a 13mm spanner.
Get under the vehicle and remove the underside engine cover held on by about 8? x 10mm bolts.
Pull out the old cable, noting the routing.Connect gearbox end first and hey presto!
If that doesn't fix it then gearbox out time!
happy motoring.
Neil
PS You don't have to answer this but out of curiousity what did the part cost in the UK and what was the labour charge?

Tuesday, 21 March 2006

Discussion Archived

Gabriel
Joined Feb 2006
8 posts

Hi Neil

I was charged £40 for the part and £45 for labour and tow (included together on the bill).

To be honest I was happy with those prices as I'd expected a bit more.

Goodluck with your vehicle. I hope you've got the problem licked.

Regards

Gabe

Wednesday, 22 March 2006

Discussion Archived

adamant19uk
Joined May 2008
4 posts

Hi,
I have the same problem with my 806, it is having a new cable fitted today. Just wondered if that will actually resolve the problem.
Thanks.

Monday, 19 May 2008

Discussion Archived

Gabriel
Joined Feb 2006
8 posts

Yes, it did for me.

The problem was (and I know very little about cars) that the auto cable adjuster (which is part of the cable) had worn down and the teeth were slipping.

Replacing the cable and therefore the adjuster fixed the fault.

Regards

GH

Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Discussion Archived

adamant19uk
Joined May 2008
4 posts

Excellent, thanks for info.

Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Discussion Archived

green 806
Joined May 2008
1 posts

i bought a t rg 806 and on my way home from the sellers house the cluch did the same. i liffted the peddal and all was ok for a week. then it happened again so i changed the cable myself in half an hour all fine. i inspected the old cable and again it was the teeth on the self ajuster.

Thursday, 22 May 2008

Discussion Archived

Showing results 1 to 20 of 24.

Important Note

All messages are submitted by visitors to this web site, and represent their own personal opinion. They do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Preloved.

You use this information at your own risk. Preloved can not be held responsible for any damages or loss resulting from the use of this site. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more details.