Advertise here

Power Steering Problem with my Fiat Punto

Messages 1 to 20 of 675.

Jack
Joined Feb 2006
2 posts

I recently bought a second hand W reg 1.2 Fiat Punto.

For some reason unknown to me i lose the power steering and it becomes so difficult to drive.

My car has electronic power steering at two levels one for city driving and one for motorway. Please help

Thursday, 2 February 2006

Discussion Archived

mr tune
Joined Apr 2005
535 posts

Purchased trade or private?

Discussion Archived

PuntoMan
Joined Jul 2005
57 posts

You might want to look at these other discussion threads:-

http://www.preloved.co.uk/fuseaction-foru......0/3c366b75.html

and

http://www.preloved.co.uk/fuseaction-forums.showdiscussion/thread_id-19391/bff8c736.html

Good luck!

Discussion Archived

emma
Joined Feb 2006
14 posts

me too I have the same problem!

Let me know what happens!!

Friday, 3 February 2006

Discussion Archived

Jack
Joined Feb 2006
2 posts

private

Friday, 3 February 2006

Discussion Archived

IFN76
Joined Feb 2006
8 posts

My power steering switches itself off when i turn sharply to the left. This only happens during the winter, and in particular very cold days.
I also took mines to a dealer who tried to get me to replace the whole lot, after reading this i am glad i did not take their advice as it seems there is an inherent fault.
A friend of mine who is into fixing cars has suggested it may be something to do with the cooling of the oil around the power steering...don't know how he thought that up though.
Another thing, as soon as you turn the engine on / off the power steering comes back on again.

Tuesday, 7 February 2006

Discussion Archived

emma
Joined Feb 2006
14 posts

Hi there

I have the same problem as you but the light wont go off and I now have no power steering!

I had an auto electrcian look at it and test all the fuses and connections. Apparently the problem is the electrical pump in the power steering and this needs to be replaced, apparently a common problem in W reg 1.2 8V puntos!! Great thats another couple of hundred pounds!!

But before doing what I have to I recommend calling an auto electrician, get them to check all the fuses and connections for the power steering, especially the big blue fuse which is located in a black box on the right of you battery under the bonnet.

This black box cotains what looks like a board of fuses and opens out like a book, make sure all the connections are tight.

Then check the fuses under the steering column, details of which are which in the manual.

Then if you can using a volt meter test the power supply to the pump, if there is power supply then you know that probably its the actual pump thats broken like mine!

Dont take to fiat dealer!! They will say its the whole steering column and charge you around 600 pounds!

Let me know how you get on

Tuesday, 7 February 2006

Discussion Archived

horse whisper
Joined Feb 2006
3 posts

Hi i to have problems with my power steering mine comes on and off on occasions makeing driving difficult its only just started to play up ive been to three garrages they have charged me between £40 & 60 each time and cant find anything wrong what can it be how did you get on with yours

Friday, 10 February 2006

Discussion Archived

horse whisper
Joined Feb 2006
3 posts

Hi Jack how did you get on? im having problems to

Friday, 10 February 2006

Discussion Archived

horse whisper
Joined Feb 2006
3 posts

Hi Emma im having the same problem have you sorted yours out yet? let me know ive been to three garages and they cant find any thing wrong its costing me a fortune just finding whats wrong thats before what it will cost to repair it

Friday, 10 February 2006

Discussion Archived

Adverts Currently On Preloved

2008 FIAT 500

2000 FIAT PUNTO

2005 FIAT DOBLO

FIAT PUNTO

FIAT SCIECENTO SPORTING...

2007 FIAT GRANDE PUNTO

FIAT PUNTO, 2004 (04),...

FIAT 500 LOUNGE 1.2 (2012/62)

Place an ad here for free

» More fiat ads...

IFN76
Joined Feb 2006
8 posts

Does your power steering cut out without turning? Also, does it tend to cut out when it's very cold outside? Just interested to find this out as this is what happens to me. Mines works again after i've switched off and back on again. Does yours?

Friday, 10 February 2006

Discussion Archived

emma
Joined Feb 2006
14 posts

Hi there

From my experience your sounds like a loose connection!

Under you bonnet you will see a box to the right of the battery it black and square with 2 metal clips.

Take the top off this box and you will see a panel of fuses. check they are all secure. then this open out a bit like a book, check the connections to the fuses. The one for the power steering is the fat blue one.

If this doesnt solve it look under the steering colum at the fuses and again make sure that they are secure connections.

You will need a volt meter, check the power supply to the power steering pump/ motor (it lokos like a silver barrel shape).

If power is reaching it ok and all the connections are secure then there is a problem with your pump/ motor.

Because in Fiats these are electrical and not fluid you need someone with minimal electrics knowledge, dont take to fiat garage as they say replace the whole thing (costs about 500 pounds!!) but it can be fixed! This is what was wrong with mine!

If you take this part out and open up you will probably see that one of the connections has come loose, so this is what you need to try:

took off the steering engine. After I took off the plate with the relays on it (you must unsolder the connections to the relays to do a good job), I saw that it had some iron fallings from the magnet right in the position of the relays. I cleaned with abrasive band, I remade a junction on one relay .... I also put some varnish (isolating glue) to isolate the connections. Put it all back on.
It could resolve your problem.

Let me know what happens

Emma

Monday, 13 February 2006

Discussion Archived

PuntoMan
Joined Jul 2005
57 posts

Hi,
I recently bought a Punto steering ECU, which was guaranteed working. Apparently, it will cure 9 out of 10 of the sorts of problems people are having with Punto steering. In my case, it didn't help - so mine must be the remaining 1 out of 10! If there's any interest, I'll put it on eBay in the next day or two. All I want is to get something like my money back.

Monday, 13 February 2006

Discussion Archived

Steven
Joined Mar 2002
8 posts

Hi,
I have a 2000 V sporting and my steering does the same but mostly yes on cold day's i went to fiat paid £48 to be told it was the torque sensor and i need a new power steering shaft at a cost of £641.41. I'm now wondring if this rally needs done ???

Steven

Wednesday, 15 February 2006

Discussion Archived

MarkP
Joined Feb 2006
1 posts

Hi Guys, I bought a 2000 W punto Sporting last week, and lo and behold it had the same problem you are all describing, ie power steering cutting out, especially on left lock. Now I didn't have have my city button on ( as I thought that was just for parking ), a friend of ours ( whose a mechanic ) looked at it, says he's reset the P/S control unit (not sure how he would do that) and says the city button should be used when in town, and only taken off for motorway driving. He says this is because the P/S comes directly off the steering column and has a cut out (presumably connected to the torque sensor), and if your turning without the city button on, it can stress the P/S motor too much and cuts out, especially on full lock. Haven't replaced any bits on mine, but keep the city button on now, and it's been fine ever since. Just wondered if the people who are having this trouble have their city button on ??
Mark.

Wednesday, 22 February 2006

Discussion Archived

furrynavel
Joined Mar 2006
5 posts

Hmmm, I have exactly the same problem with my second hand 2000 (V) ELX punto that I have had for almost three weeks. I returned it to the garage I bought it from as luckily it is still within its 1 month warrenty, they couldn't find anything wrong at all as it didn't show the fault when they had it. The mechanic suggested I take it to my local Arnold Clark Fiat dealership to run a diagnostic.
£60 odd quid down and they cannot find a problem at all, then yesterday the day after it had been in the power steering failed 4 times on a 20 min journey to my sons school.
Luckily it only happens when I am travelling really slowly, but also on the straight not just when I am parking or turning heavily.
It wasn't until I read this thread that I realised it has only been on very cold weather days (why??).
So I took it into the service department at Arnold Clark where luckily the fault happened as the mechanic was in the car otherwise I would have probably been another £60 out of pocket. So apparently it is the torque sensor and apparently they cannot fix or replace this but have to replace the whole steering colum at about £700.
I took it back to the Ford garage where I originally got it and I am just waiting to hear from the foreman of the service department to see if they will authorise this work. Fingers crossed.
How has everyone else got on with this problem?

Wednesday, 1 March 2006
Edited Wednesday, 1 March 2006

Discussion Archived

Steven
Joined Mar 2002
8 posts

I think it's a waste of time getting Fiat to replace the steering rack as it's not the rack it's the sensor. As Fiat told me themselves there is nothing stopping it doing it again even with the new rack.

My advice is same as previous post on very cold mornings turn on your city button and it will take pressure of the steering.

Wednesday, 1 March 2006

Discussion Archived

furrynavel
Joined Mar 2006
5 posts

The power steering also fails if I use the city button aswell. Could a auto electrician fix the sensors or is it a lost cause?

Wednesday, 1 March 2006

Discussion Archived

Steven
Joined Mar 2002
8 posts

Apparently the unit can be openend up and fixed it might be a problem with a connection get your power steering control re set see if that works.

Wednesday, 1 March 2006

Discussion Archived

furrynavel
Joined Mar 2006
5 posts

The garage are going to replace the whole steering column for me to see if this helps, it will include new sensors too so fingers crossed it works.

Thursday, 2 March 2006

Discussion Archived

Messages 1 to 20 of 675.

Important Note

All messages are submitted by visitors to this web site, and represent their own personal opinion. They do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Preloved.

You use this information at your own risk. Preloved can not be held responsible for any damages or loss resulting from the use of this site. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more details.