Advertise here

Power Steering Problem with my Fiat Punto

Messages 621 to 640 of 675.

pete2bram
Joined Jan 2012
19 posts

Quite so Geoff however there is a way of testing this. Nearly always when a torque sensor is defective it will give an (out of range) error to the cpu and the power steering will drop out - then if the ignition is turned off and on it will re-set and the power steering will return. Also in a lot of cases when the steering is centralised a mild judder can be felt through the steering wheel as if it doesn't know if its being turned right or left. However this can also occur if the column has been changed and not aligned properly. Also yes you are right when you say the torque sensors are inaccessible and a replacement steering column is required.

Thursday, 9 February 2012

Discussion Archived

Julian
Joined Feb 2005
2642 posts

What is the point of messing around, it is far better to just replace the complete column assembly, especially now some of the reconditioners offer a lifetime warranty.

Discussion Archived

pete2bram
Joined Jan 2012
19 posts

Think you may find that they will only warrant IF their steering columns are set up by FIAT n FIAT will charge £300 for this service.

Discussion Archived

issy
Joined Feb 2012
1 posts

Hi This is my problem. My Son has a 2000 Fiat punto and the steering has gone light constantly on. His friend has bough a reconditioned one for his 2001 fiat punto and running well untill the head casket went and s now going to be scrapped. 2 questions the no's don't match can I still use the steering column? or should we change the engines over? any help much appreciated.

Sunday, 19 February 2012

Discussion Archived

pete2bram
Joined Jan 2012
19 posts

Hi there, It really does not matter that the versions do not match as long as you fit both the steering column and ECU from one car. There were various versions of Punto steering assist however,to my knowledge all versions are interchangeable
So YES you should be able to successfully fit the steering column from the scrap car as long as you also fit the appropriate steering ECU (all part of column).
I do suggest splitting the column at the upper universal, to gain access to the bolt you will have to remove the ECU in each case. The ECU is secured by one screw right at the left hand back (sat facing).
You can also remove em by splitting at the lower universal (which ever is easiest for you)....feel free to contact me if you need further advice.
Cheers
Pete.

Sunday, 19 February 2012

Discussion Archived

osmodia
Joined Aug 2006
9 posts

I have a 2000 Punto and it has had low battery problems for 2 years if left for more that 4 or 5 days. I traced this to the power steering. When the 50 Amp PS fuse was removed no drain at all!
So I removed the fuse and made two connectors to replace the fuse and wired in a 50 amp relay and fuse between the 2 connectors.
The relay is operated by a 12 v ign feed taken fron an usused relay on the same fuse box. Result is no drain! Total cost £10.

Thursday, 8 March 2012

Discussion Archived

pete2bram
Joined Jan 2012
19 posts

Ah you have 'got round the problem' rather than curing it...lol - whatever works (complicated fix tho) - so I'm not going to consult the wiring diagram and suggest possible reasons unless you want me to.

Thursday, 8 March 2012

Discussion Archived

osmodia
Joined Aug 2006
9 posts

Hi,
Yes, it was indeed a "get around" but as the car is not worth the cost of a proper repair I think it's ok!
The method was not complicated though, I measured up the space and worked out the wire lengths and made it all up in my shed, about 45 mins. Then took it to the car and plugged it in which took less than 5 mins. It can be removed and reverted to standard in 1 min (I just tried it) An added bonus of doing this is that the battery is now always fully charged and we dont get the occasional steering switch off shortly after starting and manouvering out of the drive.

Friday, 9 March 2012

Discussion Archived

pete2bram
Joined Jan 2012
19 posts

Hi again, don't get me wrong - I thing it's a really enterprising fix. As you have made it a 'plug-in fix' and Just out of interest, I'll get the wiring diagram out this weekend & locate (what will likely be the faulty relay) .
If you are able to test the theory it we can then post a fix for all other Punto owners that come across this problem as, not all will feel competent to expedite your clever workaround.

Friday, 9 March 2012

Discussion Archived

Maz
Joined Sep 2011
16 posts

Hi
You are quite right I have not been in contact for a while but you see the punto is going ok. Shouldn't have said that should I as I have got a long drive during the week.
Yours Maz

Monday, 9 April 2012

Discussion Archived

Adverts Currently On Preloved

VERY GOOD CONDITION

2004 FIAT PUNTO

VAUXHALL ASTRA 1.8I VVT...

FIAT IDEA 1.3 MULTIJET 90...

2013 FIAT 500

FIAT 500 0.9 TWINAIR PLUS...

KNAUS SKY TI 3 BERTH...

FORD MONDEO 2.2 TDCI...

Place an ad here for free

» More fiat ads...

pete2bram
Joined Jan 2012
19 posts

I'm sure you'll be alright Maz...let me know how it goes...lol
Pete.

Monday, 9 April 2012

Discussion Archived

clare
Joined Mar 2009
17 posts

Hi Pete,just wondering if you have any advice forme,as I have still got the punto on the drive,currently SORN.
Have all the usual problems as you can see from my previous posts,but I lose control of the steering totally,not just the power steering.
The wheel just locks and I have had to stop driving it.
Only happens when I have been driving along,then the lights go on and it happens....so never when I start her up.
any suggestions?
Thanks,Clare

Monday, 9 April 2012

Discussion Archived

osmodia
Joined Aug 2006
9 posts

Hi,
It seems very strange that you lose steering completely as the Punto steering, like all power steering, is power assisted. There is always a direct mechanical connection to the steering mechanism which will aways allow the vehicle to be steered regardless of the state of the electrics.
However, I have noticed on the Punto that at slow parking speeds (when this problem occurs mostly) the steering does "apear" to lock, in fact my wife has had trouble turning the wheel at all though I find I can steer it OK, though with great effort required! If the wheel seems to be locked but is "springy" from side to side then the car can be steered. If it is locked totally solid with no rotation movement at all then the steering lock must somehow have operated.(which i think is impossible).
Bare in mind that the power steering only operates at lower speeds and is not required at nomal cruising speed.
One of the causes of Punto power steering failure is a low battery, particularly if the alternator is not working properly. I heard of one person who only had probems at night with lights on!
Turning off the engine and restarting straight away is usually a temp fix.
My wifes problem was that as well as occasional failure (which always cleared with a restart) her battery would go flat after 4 or 5 days which I traced to the steering unit. I have worked a "fix" on that and now seeing how it goes.

Monday, 9 April 2012
Edited Monday, 9 April 2012

Discussion Archived

pete2bram
Joined Jan 2012
19 posts

Just a quick reply for now (read my previous posts Re: intermittant power steering. You are quite right about low batteries causing the problem. Unlike conventional power steering set-ups (hydraulic)m - the pinto is by electric motor/torque sensor & gearing all taking place upon the steering column. The torque sensor tells the motor in which direction to assist etc etc....I have explained this fully + various fault cures in previous responses...
Pete.

Monday, 9 April 2012

Discussion Archived

clare
Joined Mar 2009
17 posts

Hi Guys,thanks for the posts.
Just to say that lock may be the wrong word for the steering.
I cannot steer the car adequately as it becomes too heavy to control,but is not locked in one position.
Also,just to say that this happens at 30mph plus,andhas never happened at parking speeds.,which is why I considered it unsafe to drive.
This happened on a bend,whilst joining a busy dual carriageway ,fortunately at 0700 so not busy.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Clare

Tuesday, 10 April 2012

Discussion Archived

pete2bram
Joined Jan 2012
19 posts

Well Claire, you appear to be suffering from the proverbial "intermittent power steering assist" - you should have a warning light appear on the instrument panel when the power assist fails. Almost without exception early 2,000's (cars 7 to 12 years old) suffer this fault at some time. I have fully explained the problem in many posts on this site. The 'Fiat" resolution is to replace the complete steering column at a cost of some £700/800. However there are many known solutions ans cures for this problem - most of which I have already outlined. If you want more specific help I will need to know more. When the steering becomes heavy can you cure this by stopping and re-starting the car - does the warning light appear - how long does it take for the fault to manifest - does the 'city' mode make the steering lighter ??? in fact as much information as you can give me & I'll try and help with your problem.

Wednesday, 11 April 2012

Discussion Archived

scottmull
Joined Apr 2012
3 posts

i have a 2003 fiat punto
This car has a mind of its own for a start i think it was one of the models that was meant to be recalled for an ECU change.

First the power steering light was off and the wipers were funny i would turn them on and they would not work for a while then start working for a bit then randomly stop Veryyyyyyy dangerous in the rain.

But then the power steering light come on the power steering was still working and the wipers worked perfect, it stayed like this for 5 days then last night bam power steering light went off and wipers went funny again.. think anyone could explain that one?

Sunday, 22 April 2012

Discussion Archived

pete2bram
Joined Jan 2012
19 posts

That smells distinctly like a 'chassis earth' problem...i.e: engine earth to chassis or steering column to chassis. I will have a look at the wiring diagram for you later and get back to you with the most likely suspects.
Oh yes...the ECU change (on recall) made no difference to the punto's steering power assist as most problems laid within the 'torque sensor'...your description of problems does not fit with known power steering assist faults so think you are safe there. Are there any other electrical hiccups you have noticed. I'd rather be overloaded with information than be short of it.
Cheers
Pete.

Monday, 23 April 2012

Discussion Archived

pete2bram
Joined Jan 2012
19 posts

OK then Scott, as promised I have looked at the wiring diagram and your MOST LIKELY suspects in order of probability are:
1). EARTH STRAP E5 Located in RH foot-well -
2). EARTH STRAP E3 Located upon the LH inner wing (under bonnet) -
3). The Negative Battery Terminal itself or it's Strap to chassis

. These are the ONLY common factors to both the steering assist and the wipers. DO let me know how it goes as we can benefit other Punto owners with information.
Cheers
Pete.

Tuesday, 24 April 2012
Edited Tuesday, 24 April 2012

Discussion Archived

Magik Joe
Joined May 2012
12 posts

Go here: http://www.segm.co.uk/Punto.htm

No fix no fee on this common fault. 100% success rate to date.
Birmingham based.
Joe

Tuesday, 1 May 2012
Edited Tuesday, 1 May 2012

Discussion Archived

Messages 621 to 640 of 675.

Important Note

All messages are submitted by visitors to this web site, and represent their own personal opinion. They do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Preloved.

You use this information at your own risk. Preloved can not be held responsible for any damages or loss resulting from the use of this site. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more details.