Advertise here

vectra burning oil

clark
Joined Jul 2006
104 posts

hi my vectra justed scraped threw mot due to the cat not getting hot enough the problem was it was burning oil and was cooling the cat down so it couldnt get to the temp it should,
today i checked for oil leaks and found one on rocker cover gasket on removing it plug 3 and 4 were deep in oil i have now replaced the gasket and fingers crossed curded oil leak but there is signs of oil around the inlet throttle body i think its coming from the breather pipe off the rocker cover the larger pipe of the two .
is there something like a trap to stop oil getting into there as this could be where the burning oil is coming from .
can i get a trap with mesh in it to stop it,
all responses would be a great help

jim

Friday, 12 January 2007

Discussion Archived

spanky
Joined Jan 2007
203 posts

Vauxhall did do a breather mod a few years ago for this engine that was put in to stop throttle body contamination.It fits into the large bore pipe in the right front of the rocker cover.You have to cut the elbow shaped hose and put the breather in there.If this dosnt help you may be have worn bores in the engine(expensive im afraid).I work at a vauxhall dealership and we still keep them in stock but i dont know how much offhand.Its a flat topped black box with wire wool inside and should come with two hose clips.Easy to fit,just cut the hose leaving you enough to connect the breather(about 2 inches each end)Hope this helps,let me know how you get on

Friday, 12 January 2007

Discussion Archived

clark
Joined Jul 2006
104 posts

hi
its not the front hose it the one thats come from the cambelt side near the airfilter box from the rocker cover to trottle body it seems to be carrying oil into the throttle body hence burning oil,

i need to stop the oil being blown into the inlet throttle body via the rocker breather

jim

Friday, 12 January 2007

Discussion Archived

spanky
Joined Jan 2007
203 posts

the hose i pointed out is in the breather system and is where the rocker cover gets its breather supply from,clean this supply will mean the rocker air will be clean .

Saturday, 13 January 2007

Discussion Archived

Important Note

All messages are submitted by visitors to this web site, and represent their own personal opinion. They do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Preloved.

You use this information at your own risk. Preloved can not be held responsible for any damages or loss resulting from the use of this site. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more details.