Advertise here

rover 25 1st gear difficult

Messages 1 to 15 of 15.

batty
Joined Sep 2007
5 posts

My rover 25 1.4 is getting difficult into get into first and reverse gear, when driving all the other gears are fine but when going from neutral to first it can be a real struggle,theres no noise, it doesn't happen every time but enough to become annoying, If i was to replace the clutch is there any advantage to using a genuine rover part or not.
Cheers.......

Sunday, 16 September 2007

Discussion Archived

badger
Joined Aug 2007
10 posts

hi, im not sure the clutch is at fault, im not sure how the gearbox is set up but it may just be the gear linkage needs adjusting to allow more movement of the selector for those gears

Discussion Archived

tjp
Joined Jun 2007
657 posts

sounds like clutch drag to me. is the clutch adjustable?
if you do get a new clutch, it would be worth getting quotes for genuine and pattern parts, then you can decide if the genuine clutch is worth the difference, with regard to how long you're keeping the car etc.

Discussion Archived

batty
Joined Sep 2007
5 posts

The clutch cable is automatic adjusting, not to sure about the gear linkage. A rover clutch kit is £105 a non genuine part is half the price but i know some non genuine clutches are made by the same companys that supply the car firms.

Discussion Archived

tjp
Joined Jun 2007
657 posts

might be worth trying the gears without the engine running, i would say that if the gear linkeage was faulty, you still wouldn't get the car into first or reverse.

Discussion Archived

r200
Joined Jul 2005
1278 posts

Wont be a clutch fault if all other gears are ok,something you may have to live with as a lot of rover boxes do the same,imo its nothing to worry about,all my rovers were hard on occasions to engage reverse so its not uncommon

Discussion Archived

badger
Joined Aug 2007
10 posts

yeah mine too tbh, 1st and reverse take a little more effort although not difficult

reverse and 4th occasionally jump out if not engaged properly which i always assumed was a minor error in the gear linkage and so assumed the same with yours

Discussion Archived

batty
Joined Sep 2007
5 posts

Its mainly first gear, its just really frustrating when at a junction or traffic lights with a queue of traffic behind you and not being able to get it in gear. I dont really want to spend money on a new clutch and be stuck with the same problem. I havn't had the car long, i'm really pleased with it this is the only thing i can fault it on....

Discussion Archived

tjp
Joined Jun 2007
657 posts

i still think it could be clutch drag, as you are far less dependant on the clutch fully dis-engaging when you are on the move than when you are stationary.
what ever the cause, as the other writers have said, it might be something to just live with.

Monday, 17 September 2007

Discussion Archived

batty
Joined Sep 2007
5 posts

I've ordered a new clutch kit today and am going to have it fitted saturday, hopefuly this will cure the problem i cant believe this is something i have to live with....

Tuesday, 18 September 2007

Discussion Archived

Adverts Currently On Preloved

LAND ROVER RANGE ROVER...

ROVER 75 2.0 CDTI...

ROVER 75

NEW MOT, RED ROVER

LAND ROVER RANGE ROVER 4.4...

LAND ROVER RANGE ROVER 3.0...

RANGE ROVER ALLOY WHEELS

LAND ROVER RANGE ROVER 3.0...

Place an ad here for free

» More rover ads...

tjp
Joined Jun 2007
657 posts

hi, i hope that my advice turns out to be correct, let us know how you get on, as it will add to our knowlege too. good luck!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007

Discussion Archived

batty
Joined Sep 2007
5 posts

Fitted a new clutch today and what a difference its made, its very smooth and the bite point is a lot lower now a job well worth doing, the pedal is still a bit higher than the brake pedal though i might change the cable next to see if it improves it theres a chance it might have streched......

Saturday, 22 September 2007

Discussion Archived

tjp
Joined Jun 2007
657 posts

glad everything's ok now, would have felt guilty if i was wrong...

Discussion Archived

r200
Joined Jul 2005
1278 posts

probably a worn synchro cone on 1st gear,otherwise all other gears would be the same.

glad its sorted though as it is annoying,as a ps change of gear oil may help as well

Discussion Archived

BrianM
Joined Nov 2006
1309 posts

Is the clutch pedal the same height as the brake pedal or is it much lower? How hard is it to press to the floor. Could be that the adjuster has not adjusted! Try pulling the cable through the bukhead but hold the outer in the bulk head to stop it pulling out. If the pedal is hard to push then it could be the cable strands are going & are trapped inside making it hard to push. You probably won't be able to adjust it. If nothing else just change the cable & see if this cures it. The only other problem would be that the pressure plate is giving up. The only cure will be a new clutch. I would check & replace the cable first.

Discussion Archived

Messages 1 to 15 of 15.

Important Note

All messages are submitted by visitors to this web site, and represent their own personal opinion. They do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Preloved.

You use this information at your own risk. Preloved can not be held responsible for any damages or loss resulting from the use of this site. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more details.