Advertise here

Messages 1 to 20 of 20.

houston
Joined Nov 2007
33 posts

Hi guys, looking for help if poss. Just changed the head gasket on my Megane 1.6 8v, but it will not start. There does not appear to be any spark at the plugs, although it turns over like a good 'un. It is as if the immobiliser has kicked in, and i don't know what to do. I'm pee'd off coz the gasket change went so well. Help please!!!

Sunday, 13 January 2008

Discussion Archived

L.B.
Joined Dec 2005
3310 posts

Out of interest did you disconnect the battery by any chance ?
If memory serves with these there's an earth at the back of the engine you have to remove at the drivers side, did you put it back on ?
When you plip the button on your key fob does the led in the top instrument cluster go out ?
What age is this car ? this is relevant for knowing whether the key is infra red or radio frequency.

THERE'S NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT !

Monday, 14 January 2008

Discussion Archived

houston
Joined Nov 2007
33 posts

Thanks L.B. I did remove the battery, but only after finding it wouldn't start, only for half a minute and then replaced, but no joy.
The earth strap was put back on and is secure.
Don't know about the led staying on or not, i'll have a look tonight.
It is a 1996 P reg.
My son's mate asked if there was a cam sensor on it, but i didn't see one?
Would removing the battery for a longer period do any good?
Cheers mate

Monday, 14 January 2008

Discussion Archived

moz
Joined Dec 2004
701 posts

hi, sorry to but in ,,but i have just done the same job for a customer ..did you adjust the tappets..and recheck the belt timing you may find that s where the fault lies..hope this helps...cheers...moz

Monday, 14 January 2008

Discussion Archived

houston
Joined Nov 2007
33 posts

Thanks moz. I never touched the valves or tappets, so the clearences etc.. should be ok, and i did check the belt timing again and it appears to be spot on. However, i don't think either of these scenarios would stop me from having a spark, at some time, at the plugs, even if the timing was out would it?
Just going to have another look, keep the ideas coming please.
Cheers, John

Monday, 14 January 2008

Discussion Archived

L.B.
Joined Dec 2005
3310 posts

Hi houston did you notice if the immobiliser led goes off when you press the plip ?
The 1.6 8v doesnt have a cam sensor on it.
Ok you didnt disconnect the battery till you realised you had this problem, my thoughts are is it's possibly something you've done directly or indirectly.
If you are sure you have connected up the correct plugs to the coil (pretty hard not to really !) .
There's a couple of other things that come to mind here, 1st is the crank sensor sits on top tof the gearbox bellhousing, it hasnt somehow got disconnected/unplugged at it's connector socket or the wiring from it got trapped/caught up with anything.
This one is definitely worth a look not so much right at the sensor but the connector plug itself and around it.
The other is a possible fuse blown, check all the interior fuses first with an a led/lamp/meter or even a good visual of them but you may find you have to remove to be sure it depends on the type of blade fuses these newest ones arent so easy to see properly without removal.

Monday, 14 January 2008

Discussion Archived

L.B.
Joined Dec 2005
3310 posts

Just thinking about this again, I would first start with checking to see if there is a 12v supply going to the primary side of the coil first if this is present use an led or scope if you have one and check to see if you are getting a signal/pulsed earth to the negative side of the coil.
Once you've done that that will give you somewhere to start looking.

Monday, 14 January 2008

Discussion Archived

houston
Joined Nov 2007
33 posts

Cheers L.B. Checked the cam sensor and it seems ok, and yes the led goes out with the plip. When i turn the ignition on, and while it's turning over, all the while a red relay in a box attached to the inner passenger wing is buzzing.
My son has been on a different forum and saw a post on a similar problem, this guy was getting spark but no fuel. Turned out he had his petrol feed and return pipes on the wrong way round. I wasn't sure when i was refitting, could this be my problem?
Thanks for your help mate.

Monday, 14 January 2008

Discussion Archived

L.B.
Joined Dec 2005
3310 posts

It shouldnt stop a spark from being produced as the ignition system has priority over the fuel system for safety reasons.
That Is a different problem to you though is it not ?
You mentioned that there was no spark at the plugs.
The fuse box on the inner wing does contain various relays 1 of which is for the engine management itself and another is for the fuel pump so it's possible one of these were buzzing.
Even if you did put the fuel pipes on back to front it wouldnt stop the coil from producing a spark.
As I said try checking for a feed to the coils and also for a switched earth.
If the led is going out on the dash when plipped the immobilser sounds ok.

Tuesday, 15 January 2008

Discussion Archived

paul
Joined Jun 2003
237 posts

If no smell of fuel and no spark you can be sure thet the flywheel sensor is dirty or has a poor connection,easy to rectify,try pulling on cable to sensor whilst cranking normally starts.

Wednesday, 16 January 2008

Discussion Archived

Adverts Currently On Preloved

FIAT 500 1.3 MULTIJET 85...

CITROEN C2 1.4 HDI DESIGN 3DR

HORSE/PONY CLIPPING...

FORD KA 1.3 MY2001 LOW MILEAGE

16.3-17HH GELDING FOR PART...

EXPERIENCED FREELANCE...

PUSSYCAT FLORAL DRESS SIZE...

FIAT 500 1.2 POP 2DR...

Place an ad here for free

» More other makes and general discussion ads...

houston
Joined Nov 2007
33 posts

Thanks Paul, i'll try it tomorrow evening and let you know.
Cheers, John

Wednesday, 16 January 2008

Discussion Archived

houston
Joined Nov 2007
33 posts

Pulled on the cable while cranking but still nothing. Do you think trying to bump-start it would work.
Cheers mate

Thursday, 17 January 2008

Discussion Archived

houston
Joined Nov 2007
33 posts

Big thanks to Moz, L.B. and Paul. Checked everything you collectively suggested, and found a small earth wire at the back of the loom had been left off (by me). Refitted and problem solved. Thanks for all your help
Cheers, John

Friday, 18 January 2008

Discussion Archived

L.B.
Joined Dec 2005
3310 posts

Hi Houston, I think I know the earth wire you mean, anyway glad to hear you got it running again.

Saturday, 19 January 2008

Discussion Archived

QUOMAN
Joined Mar 2006
535 posts

well, if it turns out to be immobiliser issue then i know a man that can!

Wednesday, 23 January 2008

Discussion Archived

Click
Joined Jan 2008
9 posts

Hi guys, hope someone can help.
Is there an easy way to replace the blower motor speed control box. Mine will only run a full speed, prior to it' s failure there was a very strong electrical burning smell.
I have ahaynes manual but it does not give avery good description of how to remove the unit, and classic with nmodern cars it appeasr you have to start by removing the rear wiper (only kidding but it is not easy)
Is it possible to fit a replacemment elsewhere in the system.

Monday, 28 January 2008

Discussion Archived

L.B.
Joined Dec 2005
3310 posts

I've not long done a heater matrix on the wife's megane and it was an epic job ! however this is easier
You need to remove the wiper arms and cover to gain acess into it, the reason it's in the cool arflow of the blower motor is to stop it overheating and burning out.
The blower motor is tucked in tight at the n/s of the car.
If the car is non aircon it's not too bad to get to however if it has got air con things are a bit tighter to gain access as the aircon models have a recirc motor and evaporator housing as well and it adds to the wiring and bulk of the housing size some of the wiring has to be removed to gain better access.
There's an intake duct to remove out the way as well but not too bad to do.

Sunday, 3 February 2008

Discussion Archived

mangosteve
Joined Mar 2008
2 posts

do you no where the fuel pump fuse is??

Monday, 3 March 2008

Discussion Archived

egyptian magitian
Joined Mar 2008
1 posts

hi i have a megane 1.6 8v on a N plate, i have just incounted 1 of its usual probs that i see most people having, which is that it is not starting, i am not getting a spark from any of the leads, i have checked the 2 coils which i replaced 2 years ago. i have now just replaced the crank sensor on the bell housing. and still no spark. it turns over like a gooden but i am now baffled. help please.

Sunday, 23 March 2008

Discussion Archived

houston
Joined Nov 2007
33 posts

Hiya mate. I had exactly the same symptons, but mine was when i tried to start the car after changing the head gasket, turned out i had missed a very small earth lead when putting it back together. Make sure that you have every earth lead attached before you go any further.
Cheers, John

Monday, 24 March 2008

Discussion Archived

Messages 1 to 20 of 20.

Important Note

All messages are submitted by visitors to this web site, and represent their own personal opinion. They do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Preloved.

You use this information at your own risk. Preloved can not be held responsible for any damages or loss resulting from the use of this site. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more details.