Advertise here

Megane 05 oxygen sensor fault

Messages 1 to 7 of 7.

d5rek
Joined Aug 2007
7 posts

Hi guys,can anyone help me or more so the idiots at my Renault dealer?
I have an 05 Megane 1.4 Dynamique,which has a service/management light coming on.
The dealer is now on his forth attempt and has now had it for 2 weeks.
When they plug it in it shows a downstream oxygen sensor fault,this has been replaced,they have changed cat and coils but light still comes on and runs slightly rough after 20 miles are driven.
Does anyone have any ideas before I assault a service manager or burn this pile of scrap ?
Ps dont buy a Renault,they are junk and their customer service is a disaster(they do drive well though,it's just a pitty the windows go down by themselves,they start when they feel like it,the fuel consumption is sod all like they tell you,wheel bearings,dash rattles,rear wiper failure other than that it's great)
Any ideas anyone so we can educate a Renault FITTER oops sorry Mechanic at my local dealer (Arnold Clark)

Tuesday, 25 March 2008

Discussion Archived

bigtony
Joined Jan 2005
891 posts

hello. sorry to hear about your problems. you are not alone out there with your problems. when they are working, they are great cars to drive. do you know the exact fault code? let me know.
I really think if the renault dealer cannot sort it out , they should be contacting renault technical for help and advice. they are always there to help even if the cras out of warrenty.

Saturday, 29 March 2008

Discussion Archived

d5rek
Joined Aug 2007
7 posts

Not sure what exact fault code is but been told downstream oxygen sensor.
Called the other day and was told they have changed sensor,cat,plugs,coils,injection computer etc and still the fault is their.
They have now had the car for 14 working days and as far as im aware planned to change the ECU next,dont see what else could be at fault after that uther than the engine bay loom.
I will be asking him about what technical have said about it and as an ex Renault UK employee know all about Renault and their poor customer service.
Thanks for your response mate and happy motoring(hope you don't have a Renault?)
If I find out exact fault code I will post it on the listing.
Regards Derek

Saturday, 29 March 2008

Discussion Archived

bigtony
Joined Jan 2005
891 posts

hi derek. no probs. ah nope i dont have renault. got a peugeot but being french the electrics arnt no better!!!!!
hmm from whats been replaced i think i know what the fault code might be.. seems to affect newer cars with a more strict engine management control like yours will be , i think the fault code will be catalyst efficiency below threshold bank 1. this is quite a common fault code and can be difficult to sort out as all it is , that the engine managment is always montoring the performance of the catalytic convertor and if it picks up its not working efficiently above a set limit it will put the light on.. im not saying this will be the fault code but my guess will be it is. i have to say derek . that its really frustrating for you as a driver to have the light comming on al the time and feeling that its the dealers fault , but i have to admit i have heard and myself struggle to fix this fault code too. as it can be so many things. let me know what they say. i can assure you also a lot of people out there with problems like yours derek . its cause of the tight control of the emmissions now.

Saturday, 29 March 2008

Discussion Archived

d5rek
Joined Aug 2007
7 posts

Thanks for your help mate.
I know it is a hard fault to fix and can be a nightmare for us guys but when I first took the car to these guys it took them 2 attempts to sort out a wheel bearing and I had to jack the car up myself and tell them which one was at fault as they told my dad when he went to collect it that it was a loose airbox.
The garage seem to be a joke as they do not call and inform you of any progress and on my third visit to collect for the same fault they told me to take a seat for ten minutes as my managment light had came on and they were going to reset it first,it was at this point I lost it completely and bauled at the poor guy, had it never occured to them that there is a fault causing it and what was the point in resetting it as it still has the fault.
I don't think they could put a nut in a monkeys mouth.
Having worked for Renault(body/paint side) for almost 4 years before walking away due to some doddgy practices I can now see why when you google RENAULT FAULTS you are faced with 64 pages (some of which are hilarious) on the Parkers site,I now realise I made the right decission to walk away.
There are saddly very few real committed mechanical, paint and panel technicians like yourself out there( I am a tech demonstrator for a paint company and have seen some cowboys in ths game on my travels)
I can honestly say (especially after Thursdays episode with my wifes Megane when the window went down in the pissing rain when I locked the car and wouldnt go back up and had to tape it up with a bin bag) that I will never buy another Renault.(sods law its just out of warranty)
I wish I could run my Mk2 Rs2000 every day and be done with all the hassle.
Bring back twin forties,points and condensers !!
Thanks for being a shoulder to cry on Tony !!
Ps I taxi a 406Hdi which now has 200k on it and have had no probs other than switches.

Saturday, 29 March 2008

Discussion Archived

carlos
Joined Jun 2007
143 posts

hi d5rek, sorry to hear bowt your probs you need to know exactly wot fault code and wot text is with it some times technicians who dont understand system relie on diag computer which is only logical like spokky and can only relie on input from humans and if wrong answer is input then wrong diagnosis comes out of machine i have seen this so many times having worked in main dealers for 11 years post fault when you can i will try and help carlos

Saturday, 5 April 2008

Discussion Archived

d5rek
Joined Aug 2007
7 posts

Many thanks Carlos,
They have finally returned my car after almost a month and it seems to be fixed.
They say they have changed the injection computer as this was the problem.
The car is now up for sale(anyone want a lemon?)
Thanks to all who gave their help!!
Happy motoring folks(Don't buy a Renault)

Saturday, 5 April 2008

Discussion Archived

Messages 1 to 7 of 7.

Important Note

All messages are submitted by visitors to this web site, and represent their own personal opinion. They do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Preloved.

You use this information at your own risk. Preloved can not be held responsible for any damages or loss resulting from the use of this site. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more details.