Advertise here

Coughing budgie

Messages 1 to 8 of 8.

Anna
Joined Oct 2006
3 posts

Hi
Can anyone help!! My budgie started to cough about 10 days ago, almost as if she had a husk stuck! She also make a sqeeky noise when she breathes but not really wheezy or snotty!
She has been on antibiotics for a week with no change. Does anyone know if it is possible something is stuck where it shouldn't be as apposed to her having a chest infection. Apart from these symptoms she is very bright, eating and drinking!

Thanks

Anna

Thursday, 19 February 2009

Discussion Archived

rin tin tin
Joined Mar 2007
11717 posts

I think the safest person to ask is a vet on this one as you have to be so carefull with budgies , i would take her back to be checked out again .

A DOG IS FOR LIFE ! ! and def not for Christmas , please be his forever friend and care for him as you would a precious child , and please everyone just be nice to each other and your pets !

Discussion Archived

deb
Joined Sep 2008
113 posts

Hello I bred bugies for a long time, but not now. It's proberly due to the seed being to dusty. Where do you get your seed from? If from a pet shop loose, then you have to be very carfull, because alot of places
scrape it up off the floor when it drops out of hoppers. Your best buying it in packets out of suppermarkets, as its properly treated. Also see your vet if it does not seen to go, as budgies will give up if ill. Have you given you budgie grotes and vitamins. Grotes are a biger seed full of oils to help health. Vitamins you can buy to put into the water.... Hope he feels better soom...

Discussion Archived

rin tin tin
Joined Mar 2007
11717 posts

Must agree that we only ever bought the good packet seed when we had budgies , same as rabbit food etc, always good stuff , never the made up bags .

A DOG IS FOR LIFE ! ! and def not for Christmas , please be his forever friend and care for him as you would a precious child , and please everyone just be nice to each other and your pets !

Discussion Archived

Scosha
Joined Sep 2004
1661 posts

Hi..Yeah i agree with debs..
My dad breed budgie for years he allways sayed that the dust in lose budgie seed was very very dusty... I would buy Trill

Take back to the vet say your not happy mybe your vets not to a bidgie vet if you know what i mean...

"Pets are like chocolates..... one is never enough"
Xx Cancer SUCKS!xX

Discussion Archived

Anna
Joined Oct 2006
3 posts

Thanks to everyone for their replies.
I have had a single budgie for 13 years and had her on trill but last year got an aviary. Since having a number of different birds I now feed aviary mix (out of a made up bag) and finch seed so you maybe right. None of the other birds have a problem but that is something to consider!
All the birds are inside for the cold months so I can put her on trill while she is separate from the others and see what happens.
I havent been to a vet yet but I am a large animal veterinary nurse so I will try to track down an exotics vet I know and see what he thinks.
Sometimes I think experienced bird keepers may have more ideas and experienced similar things!

Discussion Archived

darkgarden
Joined Apr 2007
6 posts

have you tried a nebulizer or when u run your shower take her in the bathroom in the cage and let her breath steam .

Thursday, 26 February 2009

Discussion Archived

Anna
Joined Oct 2006
3 posts

Hi

She has improved alot but does still cough every so often so I will give it a go!

Many Thanks

Thursday, 26 February 2009

Discussion Archived

Messages 1 to 8 of 8.

Important Note

All messages are submitted by visitors to this web site, and represent their own personal opinion. They do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Preloved.

You use this information at your own risk. Preloved can not be held responsible for any damages or loss resulting from the use of this site. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more details.