Advertise here

Peugeot 106 D lumpy running after start-up

Messages 1 to 5 of 5.

chris
Joined Feb 2009
3 posts

Hi. Ive just run a test of all the heater plugs on this engine, because since I got the car recently, it has started ok but is smokey (white, smells like unburnt fuel) and runs very rough for two to three minutes until properly warm. The smoke is not visible after this.
Anyway, all the plugs glow well and appear to be fine. What else could give these symptoms?
Regards, Chris.

Sunday, 22 February 2009

Discussion Archived

Al's Pug
Joined Feb 2005
2342 posts

hi

you don't ssay the millage and service history of vehicle ?

when was the air and fuel filters last changed?

also this could be poor injector spray patern, prehaps a good injector cleaner added to the fuel is al that is required.

Another possable would be the pump timing, unfortunatly this is not a diy job as a dial guage is required on the pump to set up the timing, we had this same problem on a 205 d/turbo and it turned out to be that the pump timimg had been disterbed when the cam belt and head were replaced after belt failure by the previous owner.

Al

if it aint broke don't fix it !

Sunday, 22 February 2009

Discussion Archived

chris
Joined Feb 2009
3 posts

Hi Al. Thanks for your reply. Had the car a month. Mileage is at 110k. The service history is unclear, although Cam belt change, oil filter change this month by me. Cam timing/fuel pump timing unchanged. The problem disappears completely after five to ten minutes of running, and when warm the motor runs sweetly, suggesting a cold start problem. Classic heater plugs failure? All work fine, so i'm looking elsewhere.
Didn't change fuel filter, alas ran out of time. Possible fuel feed/injector cleaning issue? I will try these. Thanks. Do you know about the fuel pump having a cold start feature, possibly controlled by the coolant hoses? If so could you advise as to it's operation and adjustment?
Thanks, Chris.

Monday, 23 February 2009

Discussion Archived

Al's Pug
Joined Feb 2005
2342 posts

hi

you should try the fuel filter and injector cleaner.

the pump settings are very difficult to set up without the proper tools and know how, you'l do more harm than good by try and error adjustments.

Out of interest, was it smoking like this before the cambelt change ?

Al

if it aint broke don't fix it !

Tuesday, 24 February 2009

Discussion Archived

chris
Joined Feb 2009
3 posts

Hi Al. Thanks for your response. Yes, smoke was present before Cam belt change. And only for five minutes or so until engine warm. Water present in fuel pehaps too? A Filter change is a good idea. I'll get some diesel fuel additive too. Cheers!

Tuesday, 24 February 2009

Discussion Archived

Messages 1 to 5 of 5.

Important Note

All messages are submitted by visitors to this web site, and represent their own personal opinion. They do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Preloved.

You use this information at your own risk. Preloved can not be held responsible for any damages or loss resulting from the use of this site. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more details.