Advertise here

2003 Ford Fusion 1.4 TDCI ECU problem

Messages 1 to 19 of 19.

Dadavid6
Joined Jan 2008
59 posts

My Ford Fusion was running fine one day when all of a sudden it cut out. I took it to a main dealer who diagnosed an ECU fault. The car has since had a new ECU, a new camshaft sensor and a new crank shaft sensor and the car is still not running. Has any one else had this problem?
The ECU is the same as the Ford Fiesta Mark 5 ECU.

Wednesday, 20 January 2010
Edited Wednesday, 20 January 2010

Discussion Archived

bigtony
Joined Jan 2005
891 posts

If you have had all that work done and it still doesnt run. i wouldnt pay a penny just yet! its obviously been incorrectly diagnosed ! would need more information of what faults are present, no communication to pcm? before can give more advise. Ive had problems with crank sensor pick up, especially the wiring to it and had one in the past do a similar thing just cut out non start and that was a bad conection of one of the multi plug on the high pressure fuel pump., cleaned and adjusted pins. fired up fine and never missed a beat. also have come across timing belt problems causing timing to be out.

Wednesday, 20 January 2010

Discussion Archived

Ford Tech
Joined Jan 2010
29 posts

as tony has already said, we need more info.
is there a mil lamp, or glow plug light on, does the vehicle crank but not start.
i mean there are endless amount of causes to your none start.

"give us some more info please".

Thursday, 21 January 2010

Discussion Archived

Dadavid6
Joined Jan 2008
59 posts

hi all . this car has only done 38000 miles the engine trun over . all dash light,s come as it shod fuel in tank ect . ecu/pcm is not talking to sensers on crank or cam .but as ford sid sensers are woking o.k try new ones but no good . finding out more today hop this help.

Friday, 22 January 2010
Edited Friday, 22 January 2010

Discussion Archived

bigtony
Joined Jan 2005
891 posts

Hello. it sounds like the pcm is not been powered up.more likely to be a wiring problem, bad earth somehere. Its going to take your ford garage some time to figure this one out, but i would be checking the main engine loom and wiring plugs and carrying out basic mulitmeter checks. are you sure the engine light comes on with ignition on? also have they carefully checked all fuses and relays for faults? sometimes dont overlook the basics!

Friday, 22 January 2010

Discussion Archived

Ford Tech
Joined Jan 2010
29 posts

TBH i have come across lots of different reasons why these fiesta dont start, from a short to ground on one of the sensors causing the pcm/ecu not to power up, to water ingress into egr valve (electronic) also causing pcm to no wake up. hopefully you will get some more ideas from the dealer today. good luck

P.S ask the dealer for any stored codes in the management system and post them on here then i can go onto ford etis (live) and relate that to any known concerns.

Friday, 22 January 2010

Discussion Archived

Ford Tech
Joined Jan 2010
29 posts

ask them also to carry out tsb 90/2005 which states.

Should a customer express concern about no start, poor drivability, black smoke , high fuel consumption, and other potential root cause have already been eliminated (fuel quality, exhaust gas recirculation (EGR), fuel return line….), the injectors need to be investigated. The attached service instruction identifies which fuel injector might be at fault and therefore must be renewed.

The purpose of this service instruction is to describe the function and operation of the fuel injector leak off test on the 1.4L Duratorq-TDCi (DV) Diesel and the likely customer concern, and the application of this test. The main reason for running this test is to determine if one or more of the fuel injectors produce excessive leak off return fuel, indicating a sticking, worn, or otherwise faulty fuel injector.

The required parts for the fuel injector leak off test described in this Technical Service Bulletin can be reused and should be stored with the Diagnostic Tool, Common Rail Fuel Injection (310-129). It is not necessary to reorder these parts for every single fuel injector leak off test on the 1.4L Duratorq-TDCi (DV) Diesel.

The corresponding workshop manual sections in the Service Literature will be updated accordingly.

there could be excessive leak off (fuel) back to the tank, or you could have air entering into injectors causing your issue.

Friday, 22 January 2010

Discussion Archived

Dadavid6
Joined Jan 2008
59 posts

Hi all,
Picked up computer printout from Fords with fault codes,

P0335.60.PCM ?
P0562.6o.PCM voltage low?
P0606.60.PCM ECM/PCM processer?
P1245.60.PCM gen. load low?
Injecters are working correctly.
Vehicle has been on scope, checked timing.
Glow plug light coming on when it is supposed to.
Despription PO191
FRP sensor range /performance, for add. info. refer to TSBno. 46/2005

Friday, 22 January 2010

Discussion Archived

fasty
Joined Jun 2007
1791 posts

personaly i would not be paying for the parts fitted as they are not the ones at fault i would want the ones taken off put back it sounds like a tricky one but the poke a stick at it approach and start bolting parts on cost you money surely if you find the part that has been changed is not at fault the old one should be put back

Friday, 22 January 2010

Discussion Archived

Ford Tech
Joined Jan 2010
29 posts

dont worry about dtcs for gen and low voltage because thats there due to cranking and voltage getting below 10.5v

the dtc you need to look at is the po335.

P0335 (Invalid crankshaft position (CKP) signal)
• NOTE: This trouble code is set when no concordance is detected between the CKP signal and the CMP signal.

Symptoms:

• Engine cuts out while driving.

• Engine will not start.

Cause:

• The CKP sensor wheel is damaged or loose on the flywheel.

• The CMP signal is not in order - no synchronization taking place.

• The CKP sensor and/or the CKP sensor bracket are loose.

• The CKP gap is incorrect.

• The CKP gap was set incorrectly and has damaged the sensor.

1. Check the CKP sensor wheel to make sure it is securely attached, has no bent/damaged teeth and there is no corrosion on the teeth.

2. Use WDS Datalogger to check the CKP signal, look for two clearly defined triggering teeth responses within a 720° captured event .

its also possible that the flywheel has caused this damage, remove the ckp sensor which should be right next to the starter motor and check its condition.

Friday, 22 January 2010

Discussion Archived

Adverts Currently On Preloved

SET OF 4 14" FORD ALLOY WHEELS

FORD MONDEO 1.8 MISTRAL...

FORD FIESTA 1.25 GHIA 16V...

FORD FOCUS 1.6 TDCI ZETEC...

FORD FIESTA EDGE HATCHBACK

FORD FOCUS 1.8 ZETEC 5DR...

FORD MONDEO 2 LITRE GHIA...

FORD MONDEO 2.0TDCI 130...

Place an ad here for free

» More ford ads...

Ford Tech
Joined Jan 2010
29 posts

and your other dtc is as follows.

P0191 (Fuel pressure sensor malfunction) - non-electrical fault
Symptoms:

• Engine will not start - glow plug warning lamp flashes.

Cause:

• In most cases this is a software fault. In the process, the system recognizes a fuel pressure which is implausible for the given conditions.

1. Turn the ignition key to ignition ON. At this moment, using WDS data logger, the fuel pressure should be below 90 bar.

2. If the fuel pressure is higher than 90 bar then this is a fault, as the pressure is dissipated after the ignition is switched off.

3. Upload the latest PCM calibration using WDS.

which simply means there might be a update for your management system .

Friday, 22 January 2010

Discussion Archived

Ford Tech
Joined Jan 2010
29 posts

So with all this info , lets start from the begining.

we will start with getting rid of the dtc for "frp" and the reason why the management system is seeing an issue with the fuel rail pressure, well thats normal, because if you are cranking and the fuel is not getting burnt so there will be an excess of fuel presure, and that is seen and recorded.
the dtc for battery and gen is already explained.

you have eliminated the ckp and cmp sensors. which thinking about it ive never seen one of these sensors fail.

so im my experience thats leaves flywheel and egr, taking into consideration that the battery is in good condition.

keep us informed!

Friday, 22 January 2010

Discussion Archived

bigtony
Joined Jan 2005
891 posts

Top input ford tech, even ive just learnt something new! carnt really add anything else to what you have put, just seems strange that its just cut out then this prob, still sounds like a wiring issue/bad connection for it to do that. tbh havant really had a lot of problems with them apart from what ive mentioned and leaking fuel pipes causing bad start.
I take it. there is comms with the pcm? as you have read fault codes. when these are cleared do the faults mentioned re appear? Id your dealer carnt fix have they contaced ford technical? do you know what they have said? surely not put loads of parts on it in a hope it fixes it?or is the dealer calling the shots?

Friday, 22 January 2010

Discussion Archived

Dadavid6
Joined Jan 2008
59 posts

I am very grateful for all your help and directly I know anymore. I will fill you in with the details . the dealer is not . calling the shots . thank,s david

Friday, 22 January 2010

Discussion Archived

Dadavid6
Joined Jan 2008
59 posts

hi all .dose having a diffent vin programmd in pcm immobilse the vevicle due to a confuct between vins programmd in pcm and instrment cluster -(hec)?

Saturday, 23 January 2010
Edited Saturday, 23 January 2010

Discussion Archived

Dadavid6
Joined Jan 2008
59 posts

Saturday, 23 January 2010
Edited Saturday, 23 January 2010

Discussion Archived

Dadavid6
Joined Jan 2008
59 posts

hi all fusion is sill not running . phoned ford uk . about problem sid go to main dealer . up the road . they got one just like my car . will not start . can not help. the car has been off the road now for 38 DAYSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. more info soon i hope david.

Monday, 1 February 2010

Discussion Archived

Dadavid6
Joined Jan 2008
59 posts

hi all find fault with car fuse 13 blown 20 amp fuel filter heater .BLOWN.this is conneected to pcm/ecu.new fuse fitted engine run,s ok now . fuel filter heater not need in UK. big thank you to all david @ susan

Wednesday, 10 February 2010
Edited Wednesday, 10 February 2010

Discussion Archived

bigtony
Joined Jan 2005
891 posts

hi great to hear its finally running. i hope they didnt charge you for all the parts that were not at fault.If you look back i did mention fuses and relays. never overlook the obvious. sometimes ford garages get carried away! i know ive been there learnt from it.Also keep an eye on it as there is always a reason why the fuses blow in the first place. usually a wiring or component fault. keep us posted on how it goes.

Wednesday, 10 February 2010

Discussion Archived

Messages 1 to 19 of 19.

Important Note

All messages are submitted by visitors to this web site, and represent their own personal opinion. They do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Preloved.

You use this information at your own risk. Preloved can not be held responsible for any damages or loss resulting from the use of this site. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more details.