Advertise here

New Idle control valve - now over revving

Messages 1 to 6 of 6.

not a clue
Joined Jan 2010
5 posts

Hey so i posted about a week ago, about my fiesta stalling
when decelerating and being unable to idle. Having done everything i felt i could do to it - including:
- clean idle control valve
- new air filter
- check hoses
- new fuel filter
- new oil filter and oil change
- redex through the engine
I took it to a garage where they had a diagnostic machine. He told me the idle control valve was faulty and replaced it for me with a genuine ford one - as the previous was not a genuine ford part. It idles fine and i took it for a test drive round the block. So I went home

Today i have driven down the motorway, and now it over revs at every roundabout/junction, when the clutch is in, and when the car is in gear it continues to accelerate with no use of accelerator pedal.

What is wrong now!!!!! Any thoughts? Anyone?

It is the most frustrating problem everrrrr

Thanks

Saturday, 23 January 2010

Discussion Archived

bigtony
Joined Jan 2005
891 posts

what engine size is it?, could be a number of things. throttle position sensor, clutch switch, air leak, gearbox speedo sensor. sticking throttle.

Saturday, 23 January 2010

Discussion Archived

not a clue
Joined Jan 2010
5 posts

Hi thanks. It's a 1998 1.3 (actually 1299cc)

Sunday, 24 January 2010

Discussion Archived

bigtony
Joined Jan 2005
891 posts

hello. I have had a idle speed control valve do this in the past and it was a faulty part. genuine also. have fitted many but only once faulted.
i certainly would be looking at the throttle position sensor. common prob on this engine. ford have a tsb on this and you replace part of the wiring harness. somerimes if you unplug it and plug it back in it can also fix it. maybe better to take it back to the garage for them to have a look. also check all the breather pipes carefully

Sunday, 24 January 2010

Discussion Archived

nathan
Joined Jan 2010
2 posts

Id be tempted to disconnect the icv and run it like that to see if it cures it.
You'll have to keep your foot on the throttle untill it warms up.

Sunday, 24 January 2010

Discussion Archived

surfingkris1
Joined Feb 2010
4 posts

may be fixed if not wot car and engine exactly, 1.3 enduro etc.....
had the same problem with a cheeky lil ka 1.3 enduro. after going rd the houses like you have i decided to try replacement throttle body id already taken it off and cleaned but still same problem. now there were only 2 options left as far as i could work out. on the bulk head there is a wiring loom incased in rubber, you need to bypass one of the wires in there, or the other problem was still with the throttle body, when you disconnect the throttle body 4 bolts each corner and the electrical connection at back. whilst this is off/disconnected you will need to go into the main fusebox and remove the ECU fuse. refer to manual. when this fuse is out leave out for aprox 10 mins and do wotever work on the throttle body. when you reconnect the body and connection then put the ECU fuse back in.
Try the throttle body first if that dont work, go to ford for the part, the wiring req is available there.
if it helps it helps, she was a tricky lil ka

Tuesday, 16 February 2010

Discussion Archived

Messages 1 to 6 of 6.

Important Note

All messages are submitted by visitors to this web site, and represent their own personal opinion. They do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Preloved.

You use this information at your own risk. Preloved can not be held responsible for any damages or loss resulting from the use of this site. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more details.