Advertise here

jack russel stiff rear legs

tony
Joined Feb 2009
12 posts

i have a jack russel 12years old when she gets up in the morning her rear leggs are stiff is this normal or should i give her mor exersize

Sunday, 28 February 2010

Discussion Archived

Frog
Joined Jan 2009
9072 posts

Well, due to her age, this could be arthritis setting in. It is normal for a dog this age to have some stiffness, just like elderly people do.
A good thing to give her would be cod liver oil and/or glucosomine capsules, the human kind you can buy from heslth shops. These help keep the joints in good condition.
If it seems like she is in any pain at all, then a visit to the vet might help as she may be given tablets to ease the swelling, stiffness and pain.

Sunday, 28 February 2010

Discussion Archived

PDFG
Joined May 2009
3868 posts

She is getting to be an old dog, stiffness and joint problems come with the ageing process, I would certainly not over exersise her, there are lots of meds that can be given to old dogs with this type of problem, I would pop her in to your vet to be checked over and take his/her advice on how to keep her fit and active as long as you can.

Sunday, 28 February 2010

Discussion Archived

tony
Joined Feb 2009
12 posts

thank you i will try the cod liver oil

Monday, 1 March 2010

Discussion Archived

picasso
Joined Apr 2005
1138 posts

try devils claw root, it helped my old stallion with his arthi...id rather use natural remedies than the chemicals the vets will give you...obv take him to the vets just to out rule anything serious but it does just sound like old age.

Monday, 1 March 2010

Discussion Archived

midge
Joined Feb 2010
9 posts

i was told by my vet many years ago when i had a german shephard to give him one teaspoon of coconut oil. apparently its the only oil that soaks into the joints. was cheap at the time and the dog loved licking it off a spoon. good luck.

Tuesday, 2 March 2010

Discussion Archived

Important Note

All messages are submitted by visitors to this web site, and represent their own personal opinion. They do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Preloved.

You use this information at your own risk. Preloved can not be held responsible for any damages or loss resulting from the use of this site. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more details.