Advertise here

Help Zebra Finch Has Laid An Egg !!!

Messages 1 to 7 of 7.

dwt7let
Joined Jun 2009
4 posts

Hi
Today I was given a male and female zebra finch and tonight she has laid an egg. I don't know what today, have put some more sawdust at the bottom of cage to try to keep the egg warm. Please could someone
advise and sell be a breeding box not too big that will fit on to our cage.
I believe they lay an egg a day?
Just want to help them!!
I am in the Crosby Area.
Kind Regards
Lorraine

Sunday, 9 May 2010

Discussion Archived

nails
Joined Jan 2010
682 posts

Hi Lorraine, the only thing that will keep the eggwoarm is the Hen or an incubator, sawdust won't keep it warm, don't know anything about small caged birds i am afraid, just chickens, but all birds are the same, they sit on the eggs and keep them warm, hatch them out if they are fertile, if you are going to breed i believe you need to put a nest box in, not sure if you need to remove male, nearer to hatching, you do with chooks otherwise they get killed! Sorry can't be much help.

1 dog, 6 Cats, 10 Sheep, 40 Chickens, 4 Geese, 5 Ducks,1 Royal Python, 2 Corn Snakes.
Justgiving.com/Donna-Moon

Sunday, 9 May 2010

Discussion Archived

haze
Joined Oct 2008
6210 posts

they do an ornamental nest thingy in poundstretcher they are round and made out of a straw like material i bought a few for a friend who had built himself an aviary and they were a great success with his finches they nested in them immediatly i think they were just short of £2 or maybe even cheaper i cant recall,there in the pet section

im a bit tempramental 50% temper and 50% mental !!
preserve wildlife ....pickle a squirrell today !!

Sunday, 9 May 2010

Discussion Archived

Bel
Joined Mar 2009
3787 posts

i brought 2 new finches for hubby to go with his other 2 i asked the pet shop owner they won't breed will they? he said no if they haven't got a nesting box well a couple of days later i found 4 eggs in their seed tray was told to leave them alone and put shreaded paper in which they have used to cover the egg and also brought eggfood as heard it's good for the birds and as all the nutriants in that bird seed hasn't brought it from pets at home for £3.99.
well now i have chicks in the seed tray i've only seen 2 but there maybe more but don't want to disterb the babies.
i read that you leave the eggs for 3 weeks and carry on checking to see if anymore as been layed if they have'nt hatched at 3 weeks then they're dud eggs baby birds are born bolod and blind and think it takes about 7 days for them to get there feathers and 3 weeks to leave the nest.
as for keeping the eggs warm the female and male does that job as one of them should always be on the egg.
I hope this helps in some way as like you i'm a complete novice and had the shock of my life to

I love my life being a mum and wife :Dxxxxxx

Charmed and Blessed with a wonderful family and wonderful friends :Dxxxxx

Sunday, 9 May 2010

Discussion Archived

The Guinea Pig Hutch
Joined Apr 2008
895 posts

hi,
you can buy a nest from the pet shop don't cost a lot and use kitchen towel and coconut fibre in it, or use half a coconut shell drill 2 holes in it and cable tie it to the cage i found this to be better than shop bought ones and they are easyer to clean.

they will not sit on the eggs until she has finished laying she will lay one a day, when i had zebra finches they had 8 eggs each time but only 5/6 hatched each time, make sure you go get some egg food also feed boiled egg and crushed up egg shell also if your birds are picky with what veg they will eat now is a good time to start giving them it as they seem more open to trying new things when nesting,

i found my babies started to leave the nest around 4 weeks, eyes opening around 14 days, done not rehome until 7/8 weeks so you can watchthem and make sure they are eating and drinking on there own first if you take them away to soon they will die,

also you will find as soon mum and dad have kicked babies out of the nest they will start to breed again finches are worse than rabbits lol good luck

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Sunday, 9 May 2010

Discussion Archived

countrylover
Joined Sep 2009
541 posts

Zebra finches=rabbits of the bird world..lol (wild rabbits,before i get shot down by rabbit owners lol)
So easy to breed ,as long as they have nests to lay in, good food and water.
If you dont want to breed,dont provide nests and just remove the eggs.Just because they lay doesn't mean you have to let them sit.

Monday, 10 May 2010

Discussion Archived

miss sunshine
Joined Jun 2009
476 posts

I agree with trish :-) they have to have all the nesting equipment to breed, and hatch. as bad is it sounds the eggs go in the bin if you dont have the breeding box and essentials.

Monday, 10 May 2010

Discussion Archived

Messages 1 to 7 of 7.

Important Note

All messages are submitted by visitors to this web site, and represent their own personal opinion. They do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Preloved.

You use this information at your own risk. Preloved can not be held responsible for any damages or loss resulting from the use of this site. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more details.