Advertise here

Vauxhall Astra Accelerator Problem

Messages 1 to 20 of 26.

william
Joined Jul 2010
3 posts

My Vauxhall Astra 1.6 8 valve starts okay runs for a bit then the spanner light comes on & the vehicle goes into limp home mode. I have had it checked on the code reader & it points to the accelerator pedal. I have replaced the pedal but the fault is still there, it seems like an electrical fault that only happens when it heats up I have also replaced the egr valve. its driving me crazy !!!!! can anyone help ?

Thursday, 22 July 2010

Discussion Archived

Top Guy
Joined Sep 2008
1240 posts

Did you replace the pedal yourself???

If so you will still need to go back to the garage to get the ecu cleared from the faults or it will still show.

Could be the EGR valve as tyhese can throw a spanner in the works.

Can you get the fault codes and post them on here.

Nige

Friday, 23 July 2010

Discussion Archived

william
Joined Jul 2010
3 posts

Hi Nige I fitted the pedal myself it didnt make any differance I took it back to the garage & had the fault codes cleared but it still goes into limp home mode I replaced the egr valve after this still no joy. There are six wires going to the accelerator pedal two of which should be low voltage feeds
only one wire was live I took it to an auto electricans who couldnt find the fault. Ive got it booked in to a garage on Monday to get the codes checked again & try to get to the bottom of this and find out about the missing feed
I'll post the fault codes on Monday.

Friday, 23 July 2010

Discussion Archived

william
Joined Jul 2010
3 posts

Sorry I didnt get back to you Monday I only managed to get the car checked on Tuesday. Ive had the codes cleared & rechecked
code P1120 accelerator pedal position sensor 1-2 correlation
code P1550 electric control malfunction throttle limp home mode
any other thoughts on this, it still looks like accelerator pedal problem
perhaps the pedal I got was faulty ?

Tuesday, 27 July 2010

Discussion Archived

clevertrevor
Joined Jul 2004
108 posts

You will almost for sure have a problem with the engine ECU not sending out a 5 volt reference to the first or second accelerator pedal resistance sensor. A good auto electrician should be able to work out how to connect the missing 5 volts to the needed one. I do it all the time. If you can't get this done, you'll need a new Engine control unit. Any amount of replacing the pedal will not work.....The modification can be easily done at the pedal..........

I've had a good whisky tonight but I'm pretty sure thats whats wrong with your car.

All the best.

If it moves, Drive it.
If it don't, fix it.

Good luck to you. Trev.

Monday, 2 August 2010
Edited Monday, 2 August 2010

Discussion Archived

douglas
Joined Aug 2009
7 posts

hi william did you sort your car out
as i am having the same as your problem with my astra 1.7 cdti thanks doug

Friday, 1 October 2010

Discussion Archived

clevertrevor
Joined Jul 2004
108 posts

You will almost for sure have a problem with the engine ECU not sending out a 5 volt reference to the first or second accelerator pedal resistance sensor. A good auto electrician should be able to work out how to connect the missing 5 volts to the needed one. I do it all the time. If you can't get this done, you'll need a new Engine control unit. Any amount of replacing the pedal will not work.....The modification can be easily done at the pedal..........

If it moves, Drive it.
If it don't, fix it.

Good luck to you. Trev.

Friday, 1 October 2010

Discussion Archived

douglas
Joined Aug 2009
7 posts

hi again trever sorry not had electrics cheked as every time i book it in the repair shop it stops doing and they cannot test it unless its doing it ? and its pissing me off
do you think its the ecu FAULT CODES ARE 1120 / 1122 FITTED NEW PEDAL STILL THE SAME

Wednesday, 6 October 2010

Discussion Archived

hunton
Joined Oct 2010
1 posts

i have a corsa that has exactly the same symptoms when you say you can connect the missing 5 volts a the pedal what does that entail,i have also fitted a new pedal

Tuesday, 12 October 2010
Edited Tuesday, 12 October 2010

Discussion Archived

douglas
Joined Aug 2009
7 posts

hi hunton iv not got it corrected yet but have had the ECU CHECKED and no faults there so i have booked it in to a AUTO ELECTRICIAN AS IT IS PISSING ME OFF WILL POST problem later in week thanks doug

Tuesday, 12 October 2010

Discussion Archived

Adverts Currently On Preloved

2005 VAUXHALL MERIVA

VAUXHALL ASTRA

VAUXHALL ZAFIRA AUTO...

55 PLATE CORSA

2013 VAUXHALL ASTRA

2004 VAUXHALL ASTRA

VAUXHALL VIVARO LWB CREW VAN

VAUXHALL VIVARO 2700 DTI...

Place an ad here for free

» More vauxhall ads...

clevertrevor
Joined Jul 2004
108 posts

Hi Douglas.
Send me your phone number and I'll ring you to try and explain what I've found in the past and how I cured it.
Email me,,, ok?

If it moves, Drive it.
If it don't, fix it.

Good luck to you. Trev.

Friday, 15 October 2010

Discussion Archived

douglas
Joined Aug 2009
7 posts

hi trevor 07815321293 thank,s DOUG

Friday, 15 October 2010

Discussion Archived

Raggz
Joined Oct 2010
1 posts

I have the same problem with my Astra. Have taken it to garage, who say they can't find anything wrong with it. I haven't tried replacing the pedal yet, but will suggest this to the garage. If it is the ECU at fault, how difficult and/or expensive would it be for the garage to repair/replace?

Tuesday, 26 October 2010

Discussion Archived

douglas
Joined Aug 2009
7 posts

HI WILLIAM AD THE SAME PROBLEM ASTRA H PISSED ME RIGHT OFF BUT WE SORTED IT NOW IT WAS THE THROTLE BODY IT NEEDS CLEANING AS IT SOME TIMES STICKS AND SENDS A FAULT CODE 1120 / 1122 HOPE THIS HELPS DOUG

Tuesday, 26 October 2010

Discussion Archived

douglas
Joined Aug 2009
7 posts

HI HUNTEN GOT MY VAUXHALL BACK ON THE ROAD IT WAS THE THROTLE BODY IT SOME TIMES IT STICKED AND IT WAS SENDING A FAULT CODE 1120 / 1122 GET SOME ONE TO CLEAN THE THROTLE BODY
HOPE THIS WORKS FOR YOU
DOUG

Tuesday, 26 October 2010

Discussion Archived

marv
Joined Nov 2010
1 posts

hi i am a roadside technician and i have come across this problem mant times ,it is a problem with the earthing points on the car thats why you have lost your 5v feed into the accelerator pedal ...

Tuesday, 23 November 2010

Discussion Archived

uniparts
Joined Nov 2010
71 posts

Hello.

That will be the Ecu one of the main faults that come up are the paddle senceor

Thursday, 25 November 2010

Discussion Archived

douglas
Joined Aug 2009
7 posts

HI MATE NO GOT IT REMOVED A SENT IT TO BE TESTED NO FAULTS IT WAS THE THROTLE BODY IT NEEDED CLEANING

Friday, 26 November 2010

Discussion Archived

rahul_ravi5
Joined Nov 2010
2 posts

Hi Trevor
I have had the same problem with my Vauxhall Astra 1.6 16v 51 Plate
Car starts off OK when cold. After a few miles around 15min drive Engine Management Light comes on and car goes in limp mode
Throttles with no power. Revs OK when Idle.
Getting Fault codes of P0120 and some similar code
My question is (in my case) If it's the 5 volts missing then It shouldn't happen after the car heats up, should it..?
This makes me think that ECU is faulty as after it gets hot it causes this problem.

Also If the Throttle Position body needed cleaning (as per some posts online) then same thing again It shouldn't happen after the car heats up, and should happen all the time.

Please Advise

Saturday, 27 November 2010

Discussion Archived

uniparts
Joined Nov 2010
71 posts

Hello are you still having this problem with the car?

Sunday, 28 November 2010

Discussion Archived

Messages 1 to 20 of 26.

Important Note

All messages are submitted by visitors to this web site, and represent their own personal opinion. They do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Preloved.

You use this information at your own risk. Preloved can not be held responsible for any damages or loss resulting from the use of this site. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more details.