Advertise here

Please help advise me on mating my Labrador

Messages 1 to 20 of 73.

Hailey
Joined Sep 2010
5 posts

Hi
I have decided to mate my Labrador bitch but as she has always been our pet I have never looked into how to mate her. My friend has a beautiful boy and we have decided tonmate them together.
I have searched the Internet to find out which days are best to mate them and a lot o the sites conflict with each other. Please can someone with experience tell me the best days to mate them on.
Many thanks Hailey

Sunday, 3 October 2010

Discussion Archived

Live.love.hope
Joined Aug 2008
696 posts

I'm not going to judge you but be prepared!

Firstly, do you know what to do throughout the pregnancy? The risks involved with mating your bitch? Are you prepared to hand feed some pups if mum cannot tend to them all herself?

Secondly, the best times to try her are withen 8 days of her season to 12 days (in my experience), allow them to run around in the garden and mark each others scents, sniff around each other etc. Then if your bitch is ready to mate, she will stand with her tail to the side for the male to mount her (may not happen straight away), he will then try to mount her once he's ready. Once he's entered its crucial you hold the bitches collar to stop her from moving! The male will then turn sideways with his back leg over the bitch, this is called the "tie", where he's pumping sperm into her, this can last from anything from 5 minutes to an hour. But make sure u hold the pair of dogs and don't allow them to move until they're untied, as this can cause serious harm to both dogs.

They cannot move away from each other until the females vulva mucles loosen, and the males penis unswells.

Hope i helped.

Life's a gamble

Sunday, 3 October 2010

Discussion Archived

d.k.b
Joined Jul 2009
5582 posts

okay from a breeders point of veiw, have either dog had any tests done for hip dyplaysia an big problem in labs i believe. also have you checked the pedigrees against each other, though some common ancestors are good you dont want to breed to closely, all important factors before you consider putting two dogs together.
every bitch is different as to when the optimum time for mating, some are ready early others later in they're season, as you intend to use your friends dog you can try them at regular intervals, say every other day after she starts showing signs of being ready, scratch her rump just above her tail base, she should stand and thrust her hips backwards curling her tail to oneside. mate her once, leave it a day then try again.
once thats over you dont need to do anything until about 6 weeks [second trimester] when you'll need to make sure shes on a good quality food [puppy] and gradually increase the amounts, but give her smaller meals as she wont beable to take in large amounts in one sitting if its a big litter. gentle exercise is important too.

It's a Chihuahua invasion :D

Sunday, 3 October 2010

Discussion Archived

AJW
Joined Apr 2010
3638 posts

How old is she and have both she and the dog been health tested for possible genetic problems?

Sunday, 3 October 2010

Discussion Archived

yvonne
Joined Oct 2009
1010 posts

Hi, agree with what has already been said. But
without being rude why do you want breed from your bitch,do you want a pup to keep.
Also is the dog proven as I would not recomend mating 2 maiden dogs.
Would be more sensible to use a proven dog first.
There are so many dogs out there,have you thought what you will do with the pups if they dont sell. if you decide to breed I am sure you will g
et loads of advice and
help.

1 member said thank you, this message was helpful.

Sunday, 3 October 2010

Discussion Archived

Kira Piggy Nanna
Joined Jan 2010
1633 posts

have you got homes lined up for all these puppies as if not you could end up keeping them - are the people good owners or could one of the puppies end up in a rescue home? - why not visit your local dog rescue see how many dogs are so desperate for homes.

I love my guinea pigs - I have 8 guinea pigs - 7 boys 1 girl and Noodle my chinese hammy

Sunday, 3 October 2010

Discussion Archived

stevie
Joined May 2010
23 posts

Please please pleae think about why you are doing this, there are thousands of unwanted puppies in rescue centres across the country and this will always be the case if people just keep on breeding. I strongly feel that animals are not there to have money made from them...why breed, no fun particularly for your dog, risks involved and already dogs needing homes...sorry I just don't undertsand it. Just because they will make lovely puppies, this just isn't a reason. Sorry, just what I feel very very strongly.

5 members said thank you, this message was helpful.

if only people were as wonderful as animals

Sunday, 3 October 2010

Discussion Archived

becs
Joined May 2009
267 posts

the best days to mate your bitch on are days 13 and 15 or her season this is when we do it and have never missed!, good luck if you need any advice email me I have been breeding for years x

A dog is for life!

Sunday, 3 October 2010

Discussion Archived

CaptainHowdy
Joined Sep 2008
895 posts

Have you looked into what is involved in breeding dogs? Have you got plenty of money put aside? What will you do if something goes wrong, have you got a good vet on hand night and day? Have the dogs BOTH been heath checked, hip and eye tested?How old are both dogs, have they been mated before? Why exactly do you want to breed them?

Also are you prepared for the chance that your dog may have some major unexpected complication during or after the pregnancy whereby you might lose her?

After all that is it really worth the risk of loosing your dog just for the sake of a 'cute' puppy?

2 members said thank you, this message was helpful.

Monday, 4 October 2010

Discussion Archived

Tigeress*
Joined Apr 2010
2309 posts

Please think about it, before you go ahead.. There are so many unwanted dogs in the rescue centre's and im sure you dont want one of your pups in there.. Make sure you have homes lined up for them to. x

Kittens are born with their eyes shut. They open them in about six days, take a look around, then close them again for the better part of their lives.

R.I.P My Millie & Devlin.
Dog - Lexxie
Cats - Kimmie & Mitchell
Turtles - Raphael & Donnatello

Monday, 4 October 2010

Discussion Archived

Adverts Currently On Preloved

FLOOR TO CEILING SCRATCH...

STUNNING KC PUG PUPPIES ,...

STANDARD OR MINIATURE...

BLUE EYED WHITE MINI LOP DOE

YOUNG RETIRED ADULT BOY...

2 SOLID HUTCHES FOR SALE

BABY BLUE FRONTED AMAZON...

ADORABLE BULLDOG PUPPIES

Place an ad here for free

» More pets ads...

petal23
Joined Dec 2009
2044 posts

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this but have you thought about the puppies wandering round your home pooing and weeing as puppies do and also the chance of them not selling and being left with puppies you can't sell. Also the long term that a buyer may ask you take a puppy back even after many years you should be there first point of call if they need to rehome. Could you care for a puppy if it was born deaf or blind etc?

rip leah hun xxx

demons run when a good man goes to war.

Monday, 4 October 2010

Discussion Archived

Kira Piggy Nanna
Joined Jan 2010
1633 posts

i smell a troll?

I love my guinea pigs - I have 8 guinea pigs - 7 boys 1 girl and Noodle my chinese hammy

Monday, 4 October 2010

Discussion Archived

Mary
Joined May 2007
6951 posts

What makes you think that Kira?????

Whoever said 'You cant buy happiness' forgot about little puppies

Monday, 4 October 2010

Discussion Archived

Hailey
Joined Sep 2010
5 posts

Explain?

Tuesday, 5 October 2010

Discussion Archived

hayley
Joined Mar 2009
8832 posts

I agree with what has already been said.

Coming together is a beggining.Keeping together is a progress.Working together is a success.Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.

Tuesday, 5 October 2010

Discussion Archived

Hailey
Joined Sep 2010
5 posts

Thank you, you have been most helpful.
This I'd not something we have just suddenly decided to as some of the judgmental people on here are implying. We have waiting for the right for all of us concerned. I work from home so will be with them all the time.
Although it would be true to say that if she has a large litter then we haven't already got buyers for them all but we do have 5 family and friends that want on of their pups as well as me. We have been paying a DD to the vets for the past year so we have alot saved up with him if anything bad does happen and both of our dogs have been health checked.
Sorry to reply to all but I wanted advise so those that have given it thank you very much for your help. I have had a dig from a rehoming shelter years ago and it bit a friend so that has put me off. Both dogs have the most fantastic temperament and can be trusted with our children and that is the main reason family and friends want to have one of their pups.

Tuesday, 5 October 2010

Discussion Archived

susieq
Joined Nov 2008
188 posts

So they have fantastic temperaments, but are they outstanding specimens of the breed? Are they excelling in the show ring or working field? Have they had relevant health tests? Do you know what you are looking for in the pedigree, are the pair well suited? Do you realise you are responsible for every puppy for the whole of it's life? Are you aware of the complication pregnancy can bring - I know of several people who have not only lost the entire litter but also their much loved pet bitch. If you breed and raise a litter properly you will not make any money, you could infact find yourself worse off. There are rescue centres across the country filled with Labs needing good homes, I'm sorry but I would advise leaving breeding to the professionals. If you decide to go on regardless you need to purchase 'the book of the bitch', and find a local mentor who can help.

2 members said thank you, this message was helpful.

Tuesday, 5 October 2010

Discussion Archived

elvislover
Joined Jan 2009
463 posts

try to get hold of .... THE BOOK OF THE BITCH '...i'v read it through it's fantastic tells you from start to looking after puppies 'also go on utube and watch the MATING 'and the BIRTH 'showes everything to expect 'and not as easy as you think it's going to be theres a lot of work involved 'like holding your girl while they are tied and feeding the right food while she's pregnant .Good luck hope all goes well :0)))

Thinks that I will live out my days as if I were a dog. If I can't eat it or hump it, I'm going to piss on it and walk away.

Tuesday, 5 October 2010

Discussion Archived

AJW
Joined Apr 2010
3638 posts

Maybe you didn't see my question: *how old* is she?

When you say they've both been health checked, which specific health tests have they had? (When some of us mentioned health testing, we were not talking about their general health, but about testing for genetic conditions such as hip dysplasia)

Tuesday, 5 October 2010
Edited Tuesday, 5 October 2010

Discussion Archived

Live.love.hope
Joined Aug 2008
696 posts

I think some of you need to stop judging her, firstly no matter what you say she can breed her dog wether you like it or not, as you don't own the dog I think your in no position to dictate. I'm also sure if they're being bred for pets then does being show standard matter? Another thing, also the professionals had to start off somewhere didn't they! But look were leaving it to the professions has got us? Inbred dogs bred for looks, not health. You all mention health tests yet I bet when you breed your dogs you don't have this done, have prob brought a puppy from a pet home aswell. She asked for advice, not nasty remarks. With young children i wouldn't risk a rescue dog either.

Life's a gamble

Tuesday, 5 October 2010

Discussion Archived

Messages 1 to 20 of 73.

Important Note

All messages are submitted by visitors to this web site, and represent their own personal opinion. They do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Preloved.

You use this information at your own risk. Preloved can not be held responsible for any damages or loss resulting from the use of this site. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more details.