Advertise here

fronter head gasket or water pump

ralph
Joined Jan 2011
4 posts

Hi I have a 2.2 2001. Petrol vauxhall frontera the heater always blows cold air.I don't seem to be loseing oil or water !some people have told me its the head gasket and some say its the water pump!I just don't know and don't want to waste monie any suggestions

Tuesday, 18 January 2011

Discussion Archived

deany2k5
Joined Dec 2009
64 posts

have a look at your oil see if it is milky, another one start it up and see if your header tank is back preasuring or bubbling

Alan

Tuesday, 18 January 2011

Discussion Archived

ralph
Joined Jan 2011
4 posts

Thanks for your suggestion!but there's no signof oil and water mixing and now back pressure!

Tuesday, 18 January 2011

Discussion Archived

deany2k5
Joined Dec 2009
64 posts

check to see if the thermostate has not been removed or it is not jammed open

Alan

Tuesday, 18 January 2011

Discussion Archived

Top Guy
Joined Sep 2008
1240 posts

If you say your not losing water or oil, an easy way to check if they are mixing is to check on the dipstick for tiny water bubbles if thats all clear then apart from you chucking out water through the exhaust.

Anyway, if your defo not losing water then its not your HG and it wont be your water pump as this doesnt effect the heater. As deano (i think) said check the thermostat, where does your temp guage sit when driving along? If it runs at cold or not much above it when goin along but happily sits half way when sat in traffic then it could be this.

If not i think the heater matrix has given up the ghost, are both coolant pipes goin into the bulk head hot?? Or it could be the actual centre console is faulty.

But these are purely guesses! Has this been happening for long or has just started to happen?

Nige

XBOX LIVE ADDICT (FING3R5)

Tuesday, 18 January 2011

Discussion Archived

tjp
Joined Jun 2007
660 posts

If your water pump wasn't working, you would have a lot more to worry about than your heater!

As suggested, faulty thermostat (likely) furred up heater matrix, air-lock in the heater, or even a faulty adjustment on the heater control.

Tim

Tuesday, 18 January 2011

Discussion Archived

ralph
Joined Jan 2011
4 posts

Thanks for all the advice !but tried all of it.had a new heater matrix ,thermostate ,no leaks defo no water in oil checked all heating system behind dash etc!the heater pipes going into the bulk head just seem to stay cold!

Wednesday, 19 January 2011

Discussion Archived

Top Guy
Joined Sep 2008
1240 posts

Right if you have tried all that and the pipes going into the bulk head have a look for a coolant pipe that splits 3 ways. I know vectras have these and they do fail. The 3 way has valve/flap that alternates between the branches and this can seize. I know on the vectra they were by the bulk head, considering you have a frontera it maybe be different. But well worth looking for as im stumped otherwise. Nige

Discussion Archived

ralph
Joined Jan 2011
4 posts

Thanks mate ill check that out!its funny you. Mention a vectre c0z I used to have a vectra years ago and it was a very simlar problem that forced me to scrap the car!I had no idea of the flap system so I will check thanks again!

Discussion Archived

Top Guy
Joined Sep 2008
1240 posts

To help you they look like this.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/sis.html?_nkw=V......tra+Corsa+Astra

Nige

Discussion Archived

Adverts Currently On Preloved

Place an ad here for free

» More vauxhall ads...

Important Note

All messages are submitted by visitors to this web site, and represent their own personal opinion. They do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Preloved.

You use this information at your own risk. Preloved can not be held responsible for any damages or loss resulting from the use of this site. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more details.