Advertise here

tigra misfire

tommytwotanks
Joined Aug 2006
2276 posts

we have recently bought a 2000 tigra 1.4, after about a week its started to misfire at tick over/low revs, revving it over 1500 rpm the miss seems to disappear, my first thought was to change the plugs and then leads, but even after changing the plugs and leads it still has this misfire, some people have said its the coil pack or lambda sensor or egr sensor, but that's getting expensive

any thoughts on this please

tommy

you're so confused, you don't even know it

Saturday, 23 April 2011
Edited Saturday, 23 April 2011

Discussion Archived

spanky
Joined Jan 2007
203 posts

Engines around this age suffered from tight valve guides,and in certain conditions it causes a missfire by stopping the valves moving freely.To find out if its this run a fuel treatment through the system,this lubes the guides and the miss should go.If it does you have the choice of fixing it properly(head off ,valves out reamer the guides)or carry on putting treatment in it.

Saturday, 23 April 2011

Discussion Archived

tommytwotanks
Joined Aug 2006
2276 posts

hmmmm, it had a recon engine 18,000 miles /3 years a go

Saturday, 23 April 2011

Discussion Archived

Top Guy
Joined Sep 2008
1240 posts

Are we talking a bad misfire tommy or do you mean your engine is hunting on tick over.

Does it misfire through the rev range?

Nige

XBOX LIVE ADDICT (FING3R5)

Sunday, 24 April 2011

Discussion Archived

tommytwotanks
Joined Aug 2006
2276 posts

TopGuy,
ive been doing my homework, ive done a compression test and all four are good they are between 210 and 220, it's had new plug's and leads, and a good blast of carb cleaner down the air filter pipe lol, did that job yesterday
so i thought i would run the engine today to see if it had made any differance, well yes it started ok, run great for 5 minutes or so until the "air injector pump" stopped, within 5 seconds the engine began to run rough/lumpy, is there a test i can do to find out if its a sensor and why does it run lumpy when this pump stops, i thought this was meant to cut-out when engine temperature was ok, so im not sure what i can do

this pump that im on about is in front of the battery, and between the coil pack and the pas reservoir bottle

ps, above 2000rpm you cant really hear it misfire/lumpy

tommy

Thursday, 28 April 2011

Discussion Archived

tommytwotanks
Joined Aug 2006
2276 posts

i went and asked a chap that ive been to a few times over the years, he runs a used car garage and repair shop, i told him what car and the symptoms, like it runs ok while the "air injection pump" is going, as soon as the pump stops the engine becomes lumpy, he said we've had a few like that, it's the idle control valve, bit of a bugger to do mind, aren't they always lol

is he right in saying it's the idle control valve

tommy

Thursday, 28 April 2011
Edited Thursday, 28 April 2011

Discussion Archived

Top Guy
Joined Sep 2008
1240 posts

Hmmmmm see if the paper clip test comes up with anything, it might have a old fault that comes up once in a while on the engine management.

If its fine on tick over when cold and isnt lumpy at all then it wont be the coil pack this breaking up would mean constant misfiring.

It could be over fuelling, floor the engine once warmed obviously and see if the exhaust is popping when i drops back down through the rev range.

Nige

Saturday, 30 April 2011

Discussion Archived

tommytwotanks
Joined Aug 2006
2276 posts

yes it does pop when the engine is warm/hot when i rev it, it seems to do this when the air injection pump has turn off, you wouldn't think the engine had a problem until it gets to the point when this pump turns off, then it's lumpy at tick over, and lumpy/missing a bit up to about 2000rpm, then it clears and is fine, take your foot off and it pops on the way down, when its at this point the rear box sounds like the baffle is missing, but that might be just the box getting hot and distorting inside, when cold it sounds ok

no engine management light

whats the paper clip test ?

tommy

Saturday, 30 April 2011
Edited Saturday, 30 April 2011

Discussion Archived

Top Guy
Joined Sep 2008
1240 posts

The popping is the unburnt fuel, should never happen on a tigra, its some thing you would have on a scooby or evo due to over fuelling when they are tuned to like 400+ bhp.

Does it start ok when the engine is hot? Or does it struggle to fire tommy?

But below is the link for the paper clip test

http://www.topbuzz.co.uk/info/fault_code......fault_codes.htm

Nige

Saturday, 30 April 2011

Discussion Archived

tommytwotanks
Joined Aug 2006
2276 posts

ive just rechecked the starting, and it starts fine when hot or cold, ive cleaned the sensor in the air inlet pipe from the air box with carb cleaner, is that the maf sensor, put a little drop of injector system cleaner in the tank because its only got about a gallon or so in it, lol

my question today, if it was the exhaust, like the baffle, ive put my hand over the end and it's not blowing, would this give the popping sound or make it sound like its got a slight blow, when i rev it and the engine is returning to tick over, because the exhaust sounds ok until it's warm enough for the air injector pump to cut out, or is it simply a injector problem, i only mentioned injectors because it 's starting to do my head in,

but the injector's work ok when started and above tick over, AAAAHHHHH

Monday, 2 May 2011

Discussion Archived

Adverts Currently On Preloved

Place an ad here for free

» More vauxhall ads...

Top Guy
Joined Sep 2008
1240 posts

you can bash your hand against the silencer and if the insides rattle then the baffles are knackered but i cant see it effecting the running of the car mate.

It could be your fuel filter, obviously when the engine is cold the ecu asks for more fuel so will pump it through.

Obviously you say that the misfire disappears after 2000 rpm, but say you sit in the car and let the revs build slowly does it struggle and want to cut out when doin this?

Im at a loss.... Can of petrol and a box of matches.... lol

Nige

Monday, 2 May 2011

Discussion Archived

tommytwotanks
Joined Aug 2006
2276 posts

when starting hot or cold, you wouldn't think anything was wrong,

starting cold, i dont need to touch anything it starts great, rev's smoothly until the air injector pump stops, then becomes lumpy, little bit of popping, and sounds like the exhaust has a slight blow, had a orion 1600e that lost the tail pipe, had a similar sound, as the rev's drop

starting hot, i dont have to touch anything, fires up like a gooden goes up to about 1,500 - 2,000 rpm smoothly no problem, as it reaches tick over it gets lumpy,

if the ecu thought that it was cold when in fact it was warm/hot and put in more fuel than it needed, would that give the problem i have, if so where is the sensor located for that, is it a water temp or air temp sensor

im starting to think it's an injector, dont know why, but i just feel the only way im going to sort this is the take it to a garage, and get ripped off in the process

tommy

Monday, 2 May 2011

Discussion Archived

tommytwotanks
Joined Aug 2006
2276 posts

out of desperation, i put a question on "honest john's website" which was passed on to one of there "experts" he came back to me saying that he thought it might be the crank/cam sensor, i don't know, what do you think

out of interest today i called into the main dealers to ask how much one single injector is, when he told me i wanted to sit down, not sure if it was plus vat, but he just said £148, i said what, for one,

tommy

Tuesday, 3 May 2011

Discussion Archived

Important Note

All messages are submitted by visitors to this web site, and represent their own personal opinion. They do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Preloved.

You use this information at your own risk. Preloved can not be held responsible for any damages or loss resulting from the use of this site. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more details.