Advertise here

hamster weeing blood:(

Messages 1 to 9 of 9.

LP
Joined Apr 2007
536 posts

last night i noticed my hamster has weed out blood!!!
i cleared that corned just incase it was something else like food and not my eyes playing tricks but he has done more over night so whilst im at collage my mum is taking him to proberly be put to sleep:(
the oly thing is the hamster belongs to my 8yr old brother who is very attached to the hamster and handles him daily without having to be pestered, gives him a treat everynight without fail befor he goes to bed and cleans him out without having to be asked as well, all off his own back and has never had to be forced.
well i dont know how me and my mum could breack the news to him as the hamster seems fine except the blood in his urine, which i though was a lot of blood for such a little hamster.
he is 3yrs old and has been going bald on his head and thinning hair everywhere else over the past few months, which we have just put down to his old age and he rubs his head on the coconut house when he goes in their which is why i think he has less hair on his head than he realy should have(his head isnt bald as such it has just gone very thin around the edges).
any ideas?

Friday, 13 May 2011

Discussion Archived

tanzi_07
Joined Feb 2010
5833 posts

Hamster could have a water infection, best to see the vet as you say x

Friday, 13 May 2011

Discussion Archived

krackers
Joined Sep 2010
346 posts

Best thing taking hammy to the vet , you never know he could just need antibiotics and three years is a good age for a little hammy .
** Fingers crossed**

Friday, 13 May 2011

Discussion Archived

fidp
Joined Jan 2011
267 posts

He needs to go to the vet.
It might sound harsh but an important lesson for children to learn from having pets is that they do die and how to deal with that.
Hope it doesn't come to that but 3 is quite a good age for a hammy.

1 member said thank you, this message was helpful.

Fi

Friday, 13 May 2011

Discussion Archived

LP
Joined Apr 2007
536 posts

yer my mum is had booked a vets appointment early the morning for this afternoon.
i just dont knw how to have the news broke to him gentley as he truely loves the little hamster, i do know of some otheres in pet shops that look identical but the thing is from experiance all the ones from the pet shop can and will bite, where as this little hammy has never stepped a foot out of line and can easily be handled by anyone:)

Friday, 13 May 2011

Discussion Archived

fidp
Joined Jan 2011
267 posts

Mum of 2 young adults here. I wouldn't try and replace the hamster without him knowing. He will know if as you say the hamster is really tame and you are then proving that you are not to be trusted.
IF it comes to the crunch. Explain that the haster was old/ill and that the vet has done the kindest thing for it because it couldn't be made better. If he wants have a funeral/burial ceremony. And then I would suggest asking him if he would like to have another hamster and get him a nice young one from a breeder and get him to help tame it. He may want one just the same - we had quite a run of black cats! - but may decide to have a completely different one - his choice. My son wanted to hold his first mouse when it died when he was about 6.
In the end the message is that animals don't live as long as us and we have to find a way to deal with that.
On the +ve side it may be OK. Hope so.

1 member said thank you, this message was helpful.

Fi

Friday, 13 May 2011

Discussion Archived

cazzycoodle
Joined Jan 2010
1337 posts

Don't try and replace it, Fi is right, children need to learn about death, and learn to deal with bereavment. It's part of life and it can't be avoided. I would bring the hamster back from the vets and let your brother see him if he wants to say goodbye, then he will see that his hamster looks peaceful. My first bereavment was when I was 9, my dad died, it was hell. Let him deal with the reality of the situation, after all, you could maybe get away with switching a hamster, but you wouldn't be able to do the same with a dog etc

Friday, 13 May 2011

Discussion Archived

krackers
Joined Sep 2010
346 posts

I agree with the previous threads. my duaghters guninea pig died when she was 10 and she buried it in her nanas garden and planted a tulip bulb. She has the best photo of her barbie on the wall next to her bed.
and now we have a dog. (deffo dont think could have done this if i just replaced Barbie)

Friday, 13 May 2011

Discussion Archived

LP
Joined Apr 2007
536 posts

hi everone just letting you know my hamster(garfield) has now been to the vets and they have said thie not too sure what it is but think like you all said it could possiably be a kidny/bladder infection and so have sent us home with some anti-biotics to give him for the time being, if he doesn't improve once the course has finished they said it could very wll be something more seious like potentialy tumour thats too small to feel but it causeing the blood:(
so thank you all:)
he gets to stay with us for at least another weeek or two for the anti biotics to take affect:)

Friday, 13 May 2011

Discussion Archived

Messages 1 to 9 of 9.

Important Note

All messages are submitted by visitors to this web site, and represent their own personal opinion. They do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Preloved.

You use this information at your own risk. Preloved can not be held responsible for any damages or loss resulting from the use of this site. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more details.