Advertise here

vectra 2.2 timing chain 2004 model

Messages 1 to 17 of 17.

jim
Joined Sep 2007
54 posts

hi i have just bought a 04 vectra 2.2 direct and the dealer told me the chains never need replacing is this correct? as i find it hard to believe if any one can help would be gratefull

many thanks james

Saturday, 2 July 2011

Discussion Archived

scooby
Joined May 2009
484 posts

if they are timeing chains then i would say prob they may not unless something goes wrong with them so you can never realy say they wont need changeing but as a rule they last for many years but if its a timeing belt then yes it will need changing at regular intervals.........

i can only give you ideas but not always the answer to your problem.... :-)

Saturday, 2 July 2011

Discussion Archived

jim
Joined Sep 2007
54 posts

So does it not matter about milage etc, I am used to the belts which is why I'm well out off my comfort zone!!!

Saturday, 2 July 2011

Discussion Archived

scooby
Joined May 2009
484 posts

im used to the old timeing chains that were fine for many thousands and thousands of miles ive had a second hand car for seven years and never touched the chain ....at some stage they did need to be changed even tho i never had a problem with one but they will stretch and wear in time like motorbike chains but the tensioner took that up......the first signs used to be a rattle ..but as you know it depends on how good the chains are like on bikes the cheaper the metal the quicker they stretch and as you know they tend to use cheaper materials on newer stuff so i could not say what mileage if you want more info i would ask top guy on here he seems well clued up on the vauxhalls

i can only give you ideas but not always the answer to your problem.... :-)

Saturday, 2 July 2011
Edited Saturday, 2 July 2011

Discussion Archived

jim
Joined Sep 2007
54 posts

nice one will look out for top guy

thanks for the info!!! vauxhall dealer was a waste off time!!

many thanks

Saturday, 2 July 2011

Discussion Archived

Top Guy
Joined Sep 2008
1240 posts

hi James i could feel my ears burning... lol

Right all 2.2 engines are timing chain, these should last the life of the car, there was a recall on these engines but a few years back concerning the lubrication nozzle and tensioner failing and making the chain run dry and snap.

If your engine number is higher than 11065400 then your engine is not affected by the recall given out.

As these are oiled directly from the engine oil, i would go for oil n filter changes every 6000 miles, sod what vauxhall think of every 10-20000 service intervals, just to be on the safe side.

If the timing chain becomes rattly then i would go for a replacement chain or the cheaper option of a can of petrol and a box of matches as these are not cheap to replace as they are main dealer part only and will set you back about £1000.

But rule of thumb here is dont touch the main dealer, you will get as good a service from an independent garage at half the cost.

Nige

XBOX LIVE ADDICT (FING3R5)

Sunday, 3 July 2011

Discussion Archived

jim
Joined Sep 2007
54 posts

so if the chain is rattling and the engine number is lower than stated is there no way main dealer will repair as this was a recalled problem?

Sunday, 3 July 2011

Discussion Archived

jim
Joined Sep 2007
54 posts

sorry top guy but while im picking your brains is there any other common faults i should look out for? just bought a 2004 vectra 2.2 direct design, i really like the car but cause the milage is high im just wanting to check its all ok really, only bought it as it was on at a really good price and its had the same owner from new! and the guy has said if there is any problem i find in 7days he will sort it out! which i think is fair

many thanks

Sunday, 3 July 2011

Discussion Archived

Top Guy
Joined Sep 2008
1240 posts

Hi Jim

The recall was only on the petrol engines and done some looking up and this was pre 2002 so all clear there.

Faults... Its a vauxhall vectra (i just dont like them... lol) Diesel 2.2 are prone to drinking oil, both can have annoying little electrical glitches which come n go, clutches not cheap as they are dual mass fly wheels, coil springs are common failure.

Good points they are good cruisers and if you look behind the headlights there is a switch on each that if your goin abroad flick the switch and you have continental dip and if well looked after should run n run.

Just out of curiosity how many miles and how much did you pay and if the guy had it from new i hope you have extensive service record.

Nige

Sunday, 3 July 2011

Discussion Archived

stuartb
Joined Dec 2010
2 posts

Hi there a really good website to look at for help and advice Is http://www.vectra-c.com loads of helpful people and advice there. That where i go as i own a vectra c 2.0 turbo and have found the guys there very helpful

Sunday, 3 July 2011

Discussion Archived

Adverts Currently On Preloved

VAUXHALL INSIGNIA 2.0 CDTI...

VAUXHALL OMEGA 2.0I 16V...

VAUXHALL ASTRA 1.6I ENVOY...

VAUXHALL COMBO 2000...

VAUXHALL ASTRAVAN CLUB 1.7...

VAUXHALL ZAFIRA 1.6I CLUB...

VAUXHALL TIGRA 1.8I 16V...

VAUXHALL VECTRA 2.0 DTI...

Place an ad here for free

» More vauxhall ads...

jim
Joined Sep 2007
54 posts

It's done 108000 with full service history give £1000 fo it, the guy was a single guy and the interior is like new, the car drives well and looks like it well looked after he has just put new disc and pads all round and had it serviced two weeks ago

Sunday, 3 July 2011

Discussion Archived

Top Guy
Joined Sep 2008
1240 posts

got yourself a bargain there then, 108,000 is nothing and to be honest that is beyond cheap as you would be lucky to get that for less than £2500.

Be well worth doin a my car reg check make sure there is no finance outstanding or that it has been in a smack.

Nige

Sunday, 3 July 2011

Discussion Archived

jim
Joined Sep 2007
54 posts

Have do all the checks even though the seller was a friend off the family, I was quite sure it was a steal when he told me needed to sell it quick as he lost his job!
Thanks for the Info and advice gona hopefully get it taxed tomorrow and then I can get it out to play lol

Sunday, 3 July 2011

Discussion Archived

JBOW
Joined Sep 2011
2 posts

HI

Can you help w ehave a vauxhall vectra 2.2 ptrol estate we have had it less than a year and the engine has blown. Our recovery guy said it was the cam chain but garage saying no it isnt. that is is no oil, (It had oil puit in by the garage in july!) Question is can a slipped camchain cause engine failure?

Any help would be great it is under warrantly but they are denying any responsibility

Thursday, 1 September 2011

Discussion Archived

stuartb
Joined Dec 2010
2 posts

yes a slipped cam chain can wreck the engine if the chain slips the pistons will hit the valves and wreck

Discussion Archived

JBOW
Joined Sep 2011
2 posts

thx for that now I need to prove it was the slipped chain that that has wrecked the engine

Discussion Archived

82choochoo
Joined Dec 2009
21 posts

The 2.2 petrols was common for the chain tensioners going. ive done quite a fue of these in vectras and the astras. as advised regular oil changes as the cylinder head will suffer and the cam runs dry the cam caps basicly weld them selfs to the cams and replacement cylinder heads ent cheap and like rocking horse s**t to find a good second hand one

Thursday, 15 September 2011

Discussion Archived

Messages 1 to 17 of 17.

Important Note

All messages are submitted by visitors to this web site, and represent their own personal opinion. They do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Preloved.

You use this information at your own risk. Preloved can not be held responsible for any damages or loss resulting from the use of this site. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more details.