Advertise here

whelping

Messages 1 to 20 of 25.

claire mariah
Joined Sep 2011
974 posts

has anyone been through there dog having pups,be nice to share stories ect......

Friday, 21 October 2011

Discussion Archived

FireDog!
Joined Aug 2011
1625 posts

Yes,what do you want to know?

I speak from the heart and shoot from the hip.

Friday, 21 October 2011

Discussion Archived

claire mariah
Joined Sep 2011
974 posts

well there 2wks on monday,feeding every 2hrs.growing,getting podgy lol mum being great! then today mum seems depressed,i have her n pups in whelping box in bedroom,would it be better to trasfer her downstairs into crate? then i have my 2 boys,they would then be confined to kitchen,cus mum dont want em near her babies....im trying to please all x

Friday, 21 October 2011

Discussion Archived

lauraflora3112
Joined Mar 2009
342 posts

Our dog was fed up by day two. We persevered with her until day 10 but by then she was a mess. Miserable, unhappy, restless, you name it. We took her out from the pups and only let her back in to feed. They were sucking her dry (she had 9) and no matter how much she ate she was losing weight so rapidly we took over half the feeds. alternating which pups got mums milk and which got Lactol. After another few days mum started shaking uncontrollably and we realised she was suffering from severe calcium deficiency and that's when we took over full time to help her recover. We got her milk dried up and carried on feeding the pups for a few days before we started weaning them on to mashed up dry food. We also booked mum in with the mobile dog groomer to cheer her up once the milk was gone and that did her the world of good! She still isn't back to normal and the pups are nearly 19 weeks now but she is steadily gaining some weight back. We fed her all the right things, did everything as we should but she was so very unhappy it seemed cruel to keep putting her through the rigmarole of feeding, plus with her being a big breed all the pacing and restlessness was a danger to the puppies who she trod on.

Maybe its time for some time out for Mum and somewhere a little more communial so she can have lots of loves and pets throughout the day. Imagine being confined to one room with all your kids for 2 weeks... aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh LOL

Friday, 21 October 2011

Discussion Archived

FireDog!
Joined Aug 2011
1625 posts

Have you a seperate dining room.Could you put them in there with a dog gate up?I always give my bitches vetzyme conditioning tablets,they are about £5/6.99 for 500.They help maintain a healthy coat and skin.Suitable for puppies and dogs ,especially in times of need like illness,stress and pregnancy.Help support natural immune system.Helps to gaurd against nervousness and 98% fat free.They always seem to help when they are starting to look abit ropey.Good stuff.

Friday, 21 October 2011
Edited Friday, 21 October 2011

Discussion Archived

claire mariah
Joined Sep 2011
974 posts

she is on calcium tablets....she dont seem ill,just depressed! i dont have a dining room for her to go in either.would it upset her to bring her n her pups down into the livingroom,then to take em back up when i go to bed?

Friday, 21 October 2011

Discussion Archived

FireDog!
Joined Aug 2011
1625 posts

It wouldnt hurt to bring them down,it will start helping them get used to every day noises as well

Friday, 21 October 2011

Discussion Archived

claire mariah
Joined Sep 2011
974 posts

firedog yes i have a dog guard.but feel sorry for them being in the kitchen,but will try it! shall i then take her back upstairs when i go to bed,or leave her down? many thanx x

Friday, 21 October 2011

Discussion Archived

lauraflora3112
Joined Mar 2009
342 posts

Ours were born in the living room so thats where they stayed, we eventually had to put a cage round to keep them in but everyone who walked by popped their heads over to say hello so they were the most well socialized puppies ever! They aren't bothered by anything! I think its maybe time to introduce them to the rest of the house, and make sure mum can get in and out when she wants to - time on her own is becoming important to her now

Friday, 21 October 2011

Discussion Archived

claire mariah
Joined Sep 2011
974 posts

pups were born in my bedroom,shall i move her downstairs then?

Friday, 21 October 2011

Discussion Archived

Adverts Currently On Preloved

TRIO OF LEOPARD GECKOS

YOUNG BABY BUDGIES

BEAUTIFUL PEDIGREE RAGDOLL...

JOJO MAMAN BEBE 3-6 MONTHS...

RABBIT HUTCH

STATIC CARAVAN

BABY GUINEA PIGS

DOG CAR CRATE

Place an ad here for free

» More pets ads...

FireDog!
Joined Aug 2011
1625 posts

Do what you feel comfortable with.We keep ours in our dining room with a dog gate between kitchen and dining room front room.We slept downstairs with them for at least 5weeks then when we went back upstairs we made sure there was nothing they could hurt themselves on and obviously checked their water as well.We havent had any for nearly 2years and im so looking foreward to the litter ive got planned.Its hard work but so worth it.Dont be a little surprised if there driving you a little crazy by 8weeks.Just be careful where you step and dont panic too much if you do tread on ones foot,they will make a hell of a racket if you do but if its a back one and they are holding there leg up you just need to hold the pup and gently massage the muscle at the top of the leg and hopefully it should soon be sorted.Ours were little buggers,when we slept upstairs and they heard the alarm go off at 7am,they would be at the dog gate squealing and yelling,when i could get passed them(it was like being mugged by a gang of hoodies)i would open the back door and all the dogs would rush up the garden.Brings back many happy memories.

Friday, 21 October 2011
Edited Friday, 21 October 2011

Discussion Archived

claire mariah
Joined Sep 2011
974 posts

firedog thankyou for everything,you made sense lol will bring her down tomoro...and yes im sure i have the worst to come lol ill be grey lol

Friday, 21 October 2011

Discussion Archived

FireDog!
Joined Aug 2011
1625 posts

If she is prepared to leave her puppies for a bit if so you could take her out for a walk.Our bitches were happy to leave there pups to go for a walk 4 days after the birth.Shes probably missing your company if she is upstairs.If you do get her out for a walk and go in any grassy areas make sure when she gets in that you wash her underneath and dry her properly.I say this although it probably the wrong time of year that she could pick up pesticides on her tummy and teats which would not be good for the puppies to injest.

Friday, 21 October 2011

Discussion Archived

claire mariah
Joined Sep 2011
974 posts

firedog i was told by my vet not to take her for a walk....if i bring her downstairs in the day,can i take her bak up to my bedroom,or do i leave her? sorry for so many questions x

Friday, 21 October 2011

Discussion Archived

FireDog!
Joined Aug 2011
1625 posts

If shes happy being left downstairs leave her down there as long as they are safe from the others.If you want to take her back up do that,theres no hard and fast rules.My bunty used to sleep upstairs but was a pain and used to pee on the landing at 7am.When she had her 1st litter she had them downstairs and didnt want to leave them and i couldnt even get her out the box to take it upstairs so ever since that day she has always slept downstairs.

Friday, 21 October 2011

Discussion Archived

Pam
Joined Dec 2004
1073 posts

Mom's getting a bit fed up now by the sound of things. She just needs time out for short periods. As the pups are still so young, I personally would not take her out for walks at the moment. Try bringing her down after pups have been fed. They should be quiet for a time so she will not want to get back to them. Start bringing the pups down for short periods, just to get Mom used to them being out of your room to start with. If she has been used to sleeping in your room, she may just create to get back with you of a night. Saying all this I bet she will be much happier with just having a break away from her little ones !!!

Saturday, 22 October 2011

Discussion Archived

helen
Joined Feb 2010
1234 posts

hi by 2 weeks old my bitch was more relaxed around the puppies,we used to find she was quite happy leaving them for longer periods of time,very often she would crash out in the living room and leave the pups in the dining room,but was always listening out for them and any little cry she would dart out like a shot to check them.
she was also more than happy to let the other dogs around the pups and very often the standard poodle would keep guard for her.

Discussion Archived

claire mariah
Joined Sep 2011
974 posts

hi all bought hattie downstairs this morning,changed her from welping box to crate,she seems alittle happier,now she is with us,although wont let the other 2 near her,so there in the kitchen.she just lays outside crate,coming for cuddles on the settee and only going in to feed them.not sure what she will be like when i go to bed,will leave bedroom door open so she can come up if she wants to.many thanx for all those that helped x

Discussion Archived

The Hawk
Joined May 2008
22992 posts

Helen, that's a good contraption.......mum has her own space but can still see the pups.

As Laura said, imagine being stuck in one room for 2 weeks with your kid?AAAAHHHHHH

I don't have kids but if it was my OH I'd still say the same thing....aaaaahhhhh!

'Age doesn't matter unless you're a cheese.'

Discussion Archived

louise
Joined Sep 2009
3207 posts

If your not comfortable taking her for a walk try taking her for a short ride in the car or someone elses car, she will think she's gone out. I do it with my girl whilst she's in season. Makes her happier to go for a ride than not go out at all x

Sunday, 23 October 2011

Discussion Archived

Messages 1 to 20 of 25.

Important Note

All messages are submitted by visitors to this web site, and represent their own personal opinion. They do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Preloved.

You use this information at your own risk. Preloved can not be held responsible for any damages or loss resulting from the use of this site. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more details.