Advertise here

rover 45 wont start

Messages 1 to 16 of 16.

kat1305
Joined Oct 2010
12 posts

hi i have a 2003 rover 45 1.4,i have just had the head gasket changed and now my car wont start at all,i did think it was the battery but having charged it fully it still wont work i would be grateful of any help

Wednesday, 16 November 2011
Edited Wednesday, 16 November 2011

Discussion Archived

BrianM
Joined Nov 2006
1309 posts

It is difficult to give advice without some more info. Did it start at all after having the head done? Does it fire & then stop?

Discussion Archived

kat1305
Joined Oct 2010
12 posts

hi no it did not start after the head was done its coughed a couple of times but not really tried to fire at all

Discussion Archived

BrianM
Joined Nov 2006
1309 posts

Check the camshaft timing is correct. Is the immo going off/ central locking working from the fob. Tow it around the block in gear to get oil pressure & fill the tappets.

I use an new technology to manage my health. ( I use to have arthritis ) http://www.healingchip.com It is not a healing chip, curious? then check it out.

Thursday, 17 November 2011

Discussion Archived

kat1305
Joined Oct 2010
12 posts

the timing is right and the central locking is working fine from the fob,is there any other way to get the oil pressure as i dont know anyone with a towbar

Discussion Archived

BrianM
Joined Nov 2006
1309 posts

Towing is the best option, most cars have a tow eye these days or just loop around the rear suspension. Don't need to be going too fast or far. You could try with another car connected with jump leads & engine running to get a fast turn over on the starter. If you can check the compressions.

I use an new technology to manage my health. ( I use to have arthritis ) http://www.healingchip.com It is not a healing chip, curious? then check it out.

Discussion Archived

kat1305
Joined Oct 2010
12 posts

hi i tried jumping it and checked the compressions they were fine but no joy with it starting though

Thursday, 8 December 2011

Discussion Archived

BrianM
Joined Nov 2006
1309 posts

Is the temp sender & gauge connectors correct way around, if not then the choke doesn't work.
You need to establish if you have fuel & a spark. Turn the ignition on & listen for the pump running. It only runs for a few seconds. If you can't here it then undo the fuel line at the injectors to see if you have pressure. If no pressure then check the switch behind the radio is not activated.
Did the crank sensor - coil pacs get reconnected & the vac sensor on the inlet manifold. Remove spark plug & lay it on the engine with the plug connected to the lead, it must earth to the engine. Crank it to see if you have a spark.
Let us know how you go.

Friday, 9 December 2011

Discussion Archived

kat1305
Joined Oct 2010
12 posts

hi everything is connected and we can hear the fuel pump going, there was a spark when we checked the spark plugs on it

Friday, 9 December 2011

Discussion Archived

BrianM
Joined Nov 2006
1309 posts

You are going to have to double check everything i'm afraid. I think the temp senders connectors are the same & can be swapped. You should also check that it is giving the correct reading to operate choke mode. If the ecu thinks it is hot then you wont have enough fuel to start. Make sure you have fuel pressure & if you can check that the injectors are getting a pulse. Your compressions should be close to 175lb if only 125 then you have problems. This has the two coil packs on the back of the engine, yes? not the old engine with a dis cap & rotor arm. You may need to start metering the engine sensor connectors back to the ecu to check for breaks, wiggle test.
Try spray easy start into the throttle housing, or petrol while cranking. If low compressions then easy start.

Friday, 9 December 2011

Discussion Archived

Adverts Currently On Preloved

FIAT SEICENTO 1.1 LITRE 03 REG

30+ VHS FILMS WITH...

ROVER 75 CLUB SE

BANJO FOR SALE

2008/08 LAND ROVER RANGE...

ROVER ESTATE

ROVER 100 ASCOT DIESEL

TRIUMPH TR7 V8 GRINNAL...

Place an ad here for free

» More rover ads...

kat1305
Joined Oct 2010
12 posts

hi i have re done the timing on the car but now we can hear air coming from the back of the engine and it still wont start do u have any idea where the could be coming from

Sunday, 15 January 2012

Discussion Archived

BrianM
Joined Nov 2006
1309 posts

Is it compressed air pushing back out from the bores through the inlet manifold. Either the head is not on correctly, split inlet manifold or the timing is not right.

Monday, 16 January 2012

Discussion Archived

kat1305
Joined Oct 2010
12 posts

hi we took the head back off and checked the inlet manifold which is not cracked,then we put it back together now there is no sound of air but we have a yellow spark and it still won't start

Saturday, 25 February 2012

Discussion Archived

BrianM
Joined Nov 2006
1309 posts

Get a can of easy start & spray it into the inlet manifold while you crank it over. If the cam timing is good then the engine will run on the easy start. If it wont run then re check the cam timing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM5oA2X03z8
If runs then stops then electronics. Does the fob work the central locking, is the immo light going off on the dash. Have you re-sync'd the fob to the car after having the battery off.

Tuesday, 28 February 2012

Discussion Archived

82choochoo
Joined Dec 2009
21 posts

May sound silly but if uve had the head off then cam pullys must of been removed, have you got the inlet cam dowl in the *In* slot on cam gear and exhaust dowl on the *ex* slot on cam gear as you can mix the pullys up

Hope it make sense

Wednesday, 29 February 2012

Discussion Archived

kat1305
Joined Oct 2010
12 posts

hi we have had to have the head repaired as the tensioner bolt hole had double threaded and the timing was jumping straight out so here's hoping that it will work when we try again

Thursday, 22 March 2012

Discussion Archived

Messages 1 to 16 of 16.

Important Note

All messages are submitted by visitors to this web site, and represent their own personal opinion. They do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Preloved.

You use this information at your own risk. Preloved can not be held responsible for any damages or loss resulting from the use of this site. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more details.