Advertise here

how do i replace vectra crankshaft sensor???

Messages 1 to 14 of 14.

kingkelvin
Joined Sep 2004
2 posts

My vectra 2.0 p reg needs the crankshaft sensor changing, is it an easy job for me , and does the computer need to be reprogrammed or something once this is done. my local garage told me £35 to change it but i would like to do it .can anyone help me?

Friday, 17 September 2004

Discussion Archived

prouty
Joined Jun 2004
185 posts

I know someone who had this done and he paid £60.00 the Comp should reset it's self i take it you have the Engine Management light on? i think you should let the garage do it, its a lot of covers to remove to complete

Sunday, 19 September 2004

Discussion Archived

dave
Joined Oct 2004
4 posts

did you manage to change sensor, ive got same problem

Saturday, 23 October 2004

Discussion Archived

kingkelvin
Joined Sep 2004
2 posts

the sensor cost £30 from a supplier and it cost me bout £90 to have it fitted and the computer re-calibrated,the car was running terrible before and the difference now is unbelievable,so dont worry if the car runs like a bitch now cos its easily sorted,the haynes manual gives u step by step to replace it but u still need the computer done (£30).

Saturday, 23 October 2004

Discussion Archived

paul
Joined Jun 2003
237 posts

Don't worry about the computer's stored codes, they only need clearing,will not alter the way engine runs if they are not cleared,it only stores a code so you know what the problem was.

Monday, 1 November 2004

Discussion Archived

dave
Joined Oct 2004
4 posts

hi kelvin- took me about half an hour to change after throwing haynes manual away.extra hour to change cam sensor,not really mechanically minded but no problems with right kit.star sockets needed.If anybody has problems then please e-mail,i bought both sensors for less than 60.00.

Wednesday, 3 November 2004

Discussion Archived

jason7579
Joined Nov 2004
2 posts

Can you let me know where you got your sensors from as my local Vauxhalls wanted over £60 for just one!!!

Friday, 12 November 2004

Discussion Archived

dave
Joined Oct 2004
4 posts

market harborough leicestershire u will find their number on ebay type in vauxhall vectra crankshaft sensor or camshaft sensor

Sunday, 14 November 2004

Discussion Archived

jason7579
Joined Nov 2004
2 posts

Hi, I've now got both Sensors. Can anyone tell me what size star sockets/additional tools needed. I've got a big socket set, the usual tool box stuff (screwdrivers pliers etc.) Also does anyone have a link/walkthrough on how to change the sensors.

Thanks
Jason

Wednesday, 8 December 2004

Discussion Archived

dave
Joined Oct 2004
4 posts

to replace camshaft censor remove air filter, belt and timing cover you should then be able to see sensor,unscrew and lift out.The crankshaft sensor is difficult to see but follow wire on top of the cam down at front left of engine unscrew and replace.I think star socket is 11 which i think is 6mm,good luck.

Wednesday, 8 December 2004

Discussion Archived

Adverts Currently On Preloved

FIRST INTEREST ? A LONG...

16HH GOLDEN DUN 9 YR OLD...

MATTERS OF LIFE 1 DON?S...

FIAT 500 1.2 POP 2DR...

AUSTINSUITE TEAK SIDEBOARD...

FORD KA 1.3 MY2001 LOW MILEAGE

JUST FUR FUN PET SERVICES

CITROEN C3 1.4I SX 5DR

Place an ad here for free

» More other makes and general discussion ads...

boiler
Joined Feb 2005
1 posts

I recently had my Vauxhall vectra 1.8 16v diagnosed by a vauxhall dealer as needing a crankshaft sensor. The symptoms were a sudden juddering whilst driving and the yellow electronics warning light coming on.
Not willing to pay £200+ I decided to do it myself. The part cost £37. The Haynes manual was very misleading and depending on which engine was fitted the sensor was either at the back on the left hand side (facing the car) or at the front on the left hand side.
On my engine (16 valve double overhead cam) the sensor was at the front. The best way of getting to this is to remove the metal plate on top of the exhaust manifold and removing the dipstick tube, which requires the removal of a couple of bolts. the dipstick tube is a push fit into the crankcase. The bolt securing the sensor can then be seen. The cable from the sensor runs up around the cambelt cover and plugs into a socket by the air intake pipe leading from the air filter housing.
Since replacing the sensor the car has been running very well.
Hope this is of use.

Thursday, 3 February 2005

Discussion Archived

Julian
Joined Feb 2005
2642 posts

Hi, you can change the sensor yourself but it's probably bets to get a garage to check and clear the fault codes.

Tuesday, 8 February 2005

Discussion Archived

richard
Joined Mar 2005
1 posts

hi there its easy to replace the sensor all you need it 10mm 17mm 8mm unsrew the 17mm first on the cam cover then unsrew the 3 10mm bolts that hold the cam cover on then slide the cover up and out then you will see like a star shaped bolt in between the 2 cogs use the 8mm to uscrew it then change the sensor now put it all back together then job is done you dont need to take it to a garage for it reprogrammed it will reset its self hope this helps you

Saturday, 5 March 2005

Discussion Archived

Julian
Joined Feb 2005
2642 posts

I think you are talking about the camshaft sensor, the crankshaft sensor is normally at the left lower front of the engine, It is held in by either a torx or allenheaded bolt.

Sunday, 6 March 2005

Discussion Archived

Messages 1 to 14 of 14.

Important Note

All messages are submitted by visitors to this web site, and represent their own personal opinion. They do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Preloved.

You use this information at your own risk. Preloved can not be held responsible for any damages or loss resulting from the use of this site. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more details.