Advertise here

ALL CARVER CASCADE WATER HEATER, GAS FIRE, FANMASTER,P4 QUESTIONS HERE

Showing results 61 to 80 of 4052.

gary
Joined Mar 2002
2443 posts

£210??? for what, I overhaul dozens of these heaters a year and rarely do they cost this much, plus with me you get a 6 month warranty.
Most fitters will assume the control circuit is faulty on the burner module and just replace it which can add as much as £125 but in truth it is almost unknown for this to be the real cause. The most common reason for the plug to blow is it's age?, it is filled with wax that the water in the tank attacks and eventually eats it's way though.
I charge a flat fee to overhaul this heater, plus parts and a burner module supplied as part of the job, (if required), is just £43... a saving of £20 on my normal retail price.
Gary
http://www.arcsystem.biz

Tuesday, 5 April 2005

Discussion Archived

steve
Joined Apr 2005
12 posts

thanks for your answer the problem now is my caravan is sited in skegness.is it possible for me to tackle this job myself.and what parts would i need.can you supply these.

Tuesday, 5 April 2005

Discussion Archived

gary
Joined Mar 2002
2443 posts

Quote: "problem now is my caravan is sited in skegness"

Well guess where I am every weekend...and Metz..he lives there, well the posh end in Wainfleet actually and I am at the other end opposite the airport... Your not on Water Leisure??

Tuesday, 5 April 2005

Discussion Archived

steve
Joined Apr 2005
12 posts

hi gary im not on water leisure but just up the road on mill road fishing lakes.trouble is i cant always make weekends i will be on site next wednesday and thursday.if you think you can sort problem for me i will send you my email adress and you could give me a price.thanks .

Tuesday, 5 April 2005

Discussion Archived

Jo
Joined Apr 2005
3 posts

Hi Richard,

I just bought an Abbey Oxford it has a casacade 2 water heater and no instructions. Would it be possible for me to download the manual and if so how do i do it. Thanks

Jo

Wednesday, 6 April 2005

Discussion Archived

gary
Joined Mar 2002
2443 posts

Yes I know where you are...pass it coming and going. Ring me if you like 0115 9213175 or 07901 544431
Gary

Wednesday, 6 April 2005

Discussion Archived

Richard
Joined Mar 2005
13 posts

yes - feel free to download - just go to the web address given earlier in this thread and download the appropriate one (cascade 2.zip)

http://www.ukwebb.plus.com/cascade

Wednesday, 6 April 2005

Discussion Archived

AndyCS4U
Joined Mar 2005
44 posts

Hi gary, just a quick note. Im affraid i fall into the catagory of fitter whome would of changed the module if the plug had blown. Yet another usefull bit of information. Force of habbit i guess, the obvious fact that these heaters and there plugs are getting old never occured to me. The obvious is not always so obvious untill some one points it out. Thanks for that, you have probable saved some one a lot of money this summer. Never too old to learn!!

Regards
Andy

Wednesday, 6 April 2005

Discussion Archived

gary
Joined Mar 2002
2443 posts

Hi Andy, I to found out the hard way?. Having overhauled a cascade the owner also went to Skeggy and his brand new plug 'blew'. The very same company that quoted Steve charged him £180 to change module, fusible plug and for some reason the control switch...why??.
Customer to say the least was not happy and although I did not charge him for the module in the first place, (because I had 'lost' his perfectly good one amongst others), I repaid him a fair sum to sort things out with him.
On testing the returned one it worked perfectly shutting off at 65degC and was subsequently sent out as a exchange unit over 18 months ago without problem.
Answer must have been it was a faulty fusible plug from new...but what really gauled me was I was also in Skeg and only half a mile away at the time....sods law I suppose.

Wednesday, 6 April 2005

Discussion Archived

Mark
Joined Oct 1999
1463 posts

Not wanting to "butt in" on your conversation guys cos you lot are more experienced in this field than i am, but all this changing the module when the fusible plug blows was originally caused by "Carver" in the 1st place- and i quote the March 1985 service bulletin (a)" the purpose of the fusible plug is to act as a safety device, should the burner assembly continue to operate, as a result of a failure within the module. Recently there have been a few cases, where swarf on the seat of the gas valve has meant that the heater continues to heat up beyond the set temperature. In due course the fusible plug melts, releasing the hot water/steam, which extinguishes the burner flame. Melted solder on the burner is a good witness mark, as to this sequence having taken place, and of course water will leak from the fusible plug. AFTER SUCH A SEQUENCE BOTH THE MODULE AND FUSIBLE PLUG MUST BE CHANGED"
(b) Since the severe winter weather, it has been noticed that when filling the Cascade 2, water can leak from the fusible plug, even before the heater has been switched on. Recent testing has found that some plugs have suffered from water freezing in the plug itself, causing the "solder slug" to be forced out of its plastic holder, and drop inside the tank. In this case it is NOT NECESSARY TO CHANGE THE MODULE, but only the fusible plug. But do check that the burner etc., is fully dried out before trying to light the unit. The latest fusible plugs should not suffer from this freezing condition"
But of course you know this and i sit here with my ears burning and the computer ready to overload with the replies.... and im in a bad mood cos my horses have lost ha ha.
Have a nice weekend, Mark http://www.callendercaravans.co.uk

Friday, 8 April 2005

Discussion Archived

Adverts Currently On Preloved

Place an ad here for free

» More caravans ads...

metz
Joined Dec 2004
41 posts

Hi Mark, No need for burnering ears as far as I'm concerned the more information the better. George

Friday, 8 April 2005

Discussion Archived

AndyCS4U
Joined Mar 2005
44 posts

Hi Mark, As George said no need for burning ears, the more information the better, and sorry to here about the horse loosing!
Unlike some politicians i am always interested in other peoples veiws and ideas, there is so much to be learnt from the sharing of information. Your quite rite i also have service bullitin No 5 from March 1985. I guess it is from this that i got into the mindset that modules had to be changed with the plug. I think the thing that has changed from then to now, as Gary correctly pointed out is time. The plugs, like all of us, are now getting very old and are more likely to breakdown under use. Maybe if Carver were still with us they would be sending out a new sevice bullitin to this effect?
I have noticed some of your postings Mark and i wish i had a memory like yours! and your record keeping must be incredable!
I see you are in Caravan sales yet you are way too knolagable to be a salesman, must be the boss?

Friday, 8 April 2005

Discussion Archived

Mark
Joined Oct 1999
1463 posts

LOL George yep im the BOSS. If them lot had time to do all this they would be sacked! :-) http://www.callendercaravans.co.uk

Saturday, 9 April 2005

Discussion Archived

jameshs2004
Joined Apr 2005
1 posts

after i fill up the water tank connect the gas then switch the heater on the green light comes on,you can hear the clicking of the spark and the burner igniting but after the sparker stops the flame just goes out.ive had the outside cover off and watched this happening. MANY THANX JAMIE

Sunday, 10 April 2005

Discussion Archived

Richard
Joined Mar 2005
13 posts

Hi Jamie

This is exactly what happened to mine - If your capable, follow Gary's instructions on the first page of this thread,
basically , carefully remove the burner, clean everything, and re-assemble. but read Gary's instructions first. It took me about an hour or so.

I'm sure if it still doesnt work contact Gary and he will assist you further.

Just remember its gas your playing with so please be careful.

Sunday, 10 April 2005

Discussion Archived

PDD
Joined Jan 2003
8 posts

Hi the water from my cascade 2 isnt very warm problem is the wheel that is supposed to be under the flap behind the cowl appears not to be there. the unit is stamped 1999 has this been modified ? and does anyone know how I make hot water hotter?

Thanks

Paul

Sunday, 10 April 2005

Discussion Archived

gary
Joined Mar 2002
2443 posts

Hi PDD!!, the adjustment wheel disappeared in mid 92 so that answers that question but 99 raises a another one...what month??.. If it's September or particularly 8th October onward then it's been faulty since new and the only solution is a replacement.
In general though these dates cover a period when they dropped the temperature a 'little' but only to about 55degC..still hot.
Gary
http://www.arcsystems.biz

Monday, 11 April 2005

Discussion Archived

gary
Joined Mar 2002
2443 posts

Hi Mark you are not butting in but adding to the jigsaw which helps me at least see the overall picture. When I read 'solder'? I thought you were talking mk1 which does that when it overheats and the mk2's plug is 'now' filled with wax! not solder. Reading on though it would explain why they changed to wax to prevent frost damage, but sadly not 'age' damage...catch 22?. (I remember the winter of 84 very well),
'Swarf' on the gas valve is interesting as this is almost the only cause of overheating now. Today perhaps it's not swarf but something enough to stop the valve shutting and allowing enough gas though to confuse the flame sensor and therefore for the flame to stay lit....to say nothing of a rarther large gas leak?
We had a fusible plug tested recently and it failed to 'fail' below 100C which is the cut of point for a pass for CE approval, it was still going at 103C. Nevertheless I still think it is a valuable 'last ditch' safety device.
On a lighter note I have to say my horse romped home..I only wish I had followed my instinct and placed a bet?, instead I only got £20 off the sweepstake...Oh well

Monday, 11 April 2005

Discussion Archived

Mark
Joined Oct 1999
1463 posts

Hi Gary hope u enjoyed ya weekend. I did back Hedgehunter so im quite happy (until the next faulty heater comes along!) You obviously take your business very seriously and its a credit to you. Our job is to keep all the customers happy all of the time! ha ha. and do it safely! Our warranty work certainly costs me a fortune in replacement burner modules!! Best wishes, Mark. ps have you seen what Karens gone and bought? oops sorry Karen :-)

Monday, 11 April 2005

Discussion Archived

gary
Joined Mar 2002
2443 posts

"Hi Could anyone please help, my carver mk2 water heater is completely dead! the water system fills up fine , and I have a fully charged battery but when I try to operate the unit from the control panel, the green light comes on, but there is no spark or anything!! Can anyone please help."
Do you only get the green light or is joined by the red light after about 8 seconds?
If green only and the van is 1992 then it could well be the control switch at fault, if you do get the red light though then it will be the module which needs replacing.
When you say "control panel" do you mean a 'rocker' switch with three lights which is part of a larger distribution panel?, this would mean the actual control switch will be hidden under a bunk close to the water heater. The commonly used control should be a brown box on the wall with an up/down type switch, this switch is sometimes omitted when used like this as you have one in the distribution panel but the box and control will still be there.

Tuesday, 12 April 2005

Discussion Archived

Showing results 61 to 80 of 4052.

Important Note

All messages are submitted by visitors to this web site, and represent their own personal opinion. They do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Preloved.

You use this information at your own risk. Preloved can not be held responsible for any damages or loss resulting from the use of this site. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more details.