Advertise here

taking dogs to spain

Messages 21 to 27 of 27.

LoopyBuddy
Joined Jun 2012
1665 posts

Hi my family live in Almeria !! I have never taken my dogs before but would like to take Buddy next year but having looked into it I don't think I will be going as there are no airlines to Spain which allow the dog to travel in the cabin and I could not bear to put him in the hold - I don't fancy the drive either bit too far - but please keep us updated as I'd be interested as to how you get on - I might change my mind if I can get a bit if good advice - a word of warning though your dog must be harnessed into the car on a proper seatbelt attachment in Spain it's against the law to travel otherwise and in Almeria I know they are very strict !! Yes the dogs do get a tough deal out there the Spanish don't believe they have souls - apart from that they are lovely people with a fabulous culture I love Spain I'd like to live there eventually :-))

Thursday, 25 October 2012

Discussion Archived

KJ
Joined Oct 2007
5163 posts

Loopy. I've seen people with their hunting dogs in trailers, pulled behind their cars quite a few times in Almeria.

'' A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere. '' Groucho Marx

If cats could talk they'd lie to you.

There is no faith which has never yet been broken, except that of a truly faithful dog.

Discussion Archived

stick it c.b.a
Joined Dec 2010
540 posts

Oh mine travel in cages in the back normally. Is that acceptable as well? X

Discussion Archived

LoopyBuddy
Joined Jun 2012
1665 posts

KJ I think maybe the trailer thing is ok because basically they're not too bothered about the safety of the dogs but more so what damage a loose dog could cause in an accident to passenger and driver inside the car - maybes they're just strict with English people ?? My dads friend was fined on the way back from the kennels when he forgot to take the harness for his westie - not sure about the cages I guess it would ok as they're secured but you'd have to check.

Discussion Archived

Anne
Joined Nov 2008
134 posts

Hi Caroline - I take my cairn terrier down to Spain three times a year in the car - you will need to get a pet passport and have a rabies injection to start with - we travel with P&O from Dover to Calais only a 75 minute crossing and the dog stays in the car and the dog is checked by the staff. We ALWAYS put her dog harness on and stop every three hours on the way. We have found that the Campanile hotel restaurant chain in France is very good - its very clean and has a restaurant on site and you have the dog in the room for only 5 euros and you can take them in the restaurant with you. They are about 60 euros a night depending on time of year. We take 2-3 days to travel down to Moriara which is inbetween Alicanti and Valencia and the roads are great - they are nearly all dual carriageway and lots of places to stop and get something to eat and drink and let the dog out and you would be surprised how many English people you meet on the way and if you have a dog they all talk to you. I look forward to going down and we stop in the Pyenees for lunch - Elsa our cairn is very good in the car and always has lots of water. On the way back we go to a local Spanish vet 3-5 days before we travel and he examines her and signs the passport to say that she is fit to travel and although the law has changed now so that you dont have to frontline dogs we always do and give her a wormer as well before we leave. Once you get used to driving on the wrong side of the road you will be fine you just need confidence. Let me know if you need any more info. Anne

Friday, 26 October 2012

Discussion Archived

stick it c.b.a
Joined Dec 2010
540 posts

Thank you anne for the info. I really don't feel confident enough ro drive to spain my hubby makes me worse he's the worst back seat driver in the world panics at the slightest thing always anticipating and warning me about hazards that arent even there or distracting me by warning me about things too early he drives me insane just in the uk. And the worst rhing is he can't even drive hasn't even got a provisional. I got 100 percent on my theory and hazard perception on my theory and did it in half an hour. My driving instuctor said he had never had a pupil do that in all the years he had been teaching. I only ever have a problem until my hubby got in the car. So driving abroad is a bbig no no I would either end up divorced or on a murder charge ha ha x

Friday, 26 October 2012

Discussion Archived

stick it c.b.a
Joined Dec 2010
540 posts

apologies, terrible grammar cant see my phone any more even with my glasses on x

Friday, 26 October 2012

Discussion Archived

Messages 21 to 27 of 27.

Important Note

All messages are submitted by visitors to this web site, and represent their own personal opinion. They do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Preloved.

You use this information at your own risk. Preloved can not be held responsible for any damages or loss resulting from the use of this site. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more details.