Advertise here

Air bag Light coming on

Messages 1 to 20 of 49.

fisherman
Joined Nov 2004
3 posts

I have a problem with the airbag warning light on my 1998 pug 306D
It always goes out after starting but comes back on and flashes.
Sometimes It will stay off for days but once it does flash it will continue for the rest of the journey.
The fact it is an intermitant fault makes me think that the airbag is ok.Is there an easy fix or is it possible to disconect the warning light as it can be distracting at night.Any help would be realy helpfull!

Sunday, 7 November 2004

Discussion Archived

northants_guy
Joined Nov 2004
45 posts

Under the driver and passenger seat is and orange lead, i think it is to do with airbag and/or seat belt pre tensioner. If this is loose it could cause the airbag light to flash. Check it's connected properly and see how it goes.

Sunday, 7 November 2004

Discussion Archived

fisherman
Joined Nov 2004
3 posts

Thanks I will have a look and let you know if that is the problem

Sunday, 7 November 2004

Discussion Archived

Pants
Joined Nov 2004
5 posts

Fisherman, My wife's 306 Pug has exactly the same problem and has done since virtually new. Peugeot have "replaced the pre-tensioner wiring loom" for a longer one as apparently moving the seat can dislodge the wiring as a previous member suggested. This worked for a few months but... the problem returns to haunt me and give my wife another "call yourself an engineer" taunt.

If you or anyone else manages to resolve this annoyance I would be eternally grateful to hear of the fix... as would my restored ego.

Thnxs in anticipation

Friday, 26 November 2004

Discussion Archived

fisherman
Joined Nov 2004
3 posts

I have checked the connections of wires under both front seats and also pulled them about with the engine running when the airbag light was off it didn't seem to give me any answers as the problem still persists.last week the light went out every day as it should but came on again on friday just when I thought the problem had gone away!

Friday, 26 November 2004

Discussion Archived

Trace589
Joined Jun 2004
30 posts

I too have the same problem, but miraculously after the air bag light flashing for one whole year....it promptly disappeared on thursday last week...i was amazed and kind of miss the old flashing friend, fear not, i should imagine it will be back soon!!...it's not the bulb as it still comes on when i turn the ignition on but the goes out as it should normally do. These 306's definately have minds of thier own.

Trace

Monday, 29 November 2004

Discussion Archived

Pants
Joined Nov 2004
5 posts

Other sites are littered with similar 306 (and 406) anecdotes/complaints. All point to faulty pre-tensioner connections. This is supported by Peugeots own recall information:-

* Technical Information Circular No 1555 issued in 2000 re airbag warning light flashing then remaining on. Remove both front seats, carry out repairs to harness connectors, replace seats and clear fault from ECU.

* Recall on 2,409 306's 2/1/2001: possibility that an open circuit could occur in front seatbelt pretensioner harness connector leading to flashing of airbag warning light. Pretensioner harnesses to be replaced.

The best advice appears to be:-
1. disconnect and reconnect the under seat harness using WD40 or vaseline to coat the connector
2. Cut off the connectors and directly solder the wires together

H&S notice:- disconnect the battery >30minutes before doing anything to the airbag or pretenioner to allow detonator capacitors to discharge.

Tuesday, 30 November 2004

Discussion Archived

Mungo
Joined Jan 2005
1 posts

I have a 1999 406hdi and the air bag light has started flashing, do you think that this can be my problem???

Thursday, 20 January 2005

Discussion Archived

Pants
Joined Nov 2004
5 posts

Mungo,
IMHO It's the most probable false indication given the litany of 406 postings here and elsewhere. However do remeber that the warning light serves a legitamate function, warning of loss of pressure in the pre-tensioner and other fault conditions. If this is the first time such a fault has been inidcaited, I would seek professional advice first, someone with the necessary and proper diagnostic equipment, before ripping out the seats etc...

Tuesday, 1 February 2005

Discussion Archived

Stanley
Joined Jan 2005
74 posts

hmm my light is actully on the steering wheel and goes off as it should (touch wood) but my mates has the same problem and a good way would be to get the computer hooked up and ask them to remove the data thats makin it flash. Ok please correct me if this isnt possible just what i was told by some1.

Stanley

Tuesday, 1 February 2005

Discussion Archived

Adverts Currently On Preloved

PEUGEOT 206 1.4 HDI

PEUGEOT 206 1.4 HDI 3 DOOR

PEUGEOT 306 MERIDIAN 1.6CC...

PEUGEOT ZEST 106

AUTOSLEEPR RAMBLER...

PEUGEOT 307 PETROL ESTATE...

PEUGEOT 206 LX HDI 1.4...

SAXO VTR GOLD

Place an ad here for free

» More peugeot ads...

bigmac999
Joined Dec 2004
119 posts

If there is an intermittent fault logged in the memory, it can be cleared with suitable equiptment, but if the fault comes back the light will come on. The light will switch off by itself if the fault is fixed.

http://www.peugeot406coupe.com

Tuesday, 1 February 2005

Discussion Archived

Fred
Joined Jan 2005
12 posts

Had a similar fault on my wifes 306 Geneoa.
Introdced the car to the 'dodgy' Peageot dealer network who said it was a faulty switch.
£240 later it is fixed!

Thursday, 3 February 2005

Discussion Archived

welshy34
Joined Feb 2005
9 posts

my air bag light was on for months before i finally took it into pug.
they fixed the problem for me at a cost of £100 ( rip off merchants). two months later it came on again.... this time i tried the old trick of disconnecting both tensioning wires under front seats for 30 secs then reconnected... problem solved...
apparently, because the seats (306) slide the cable can "jerk" and send a false signal to the airbag warning light....
try this first before pug or try and find local mechanic with computer - - - THEY DO EXIST

Tuesday, 8 February 2005

Discussion Archived

engineer assessor
Joined Feb 2005
1 posts

Just read your hints on air bag lights. My 306 TD 1998 started flashing when you turn on the ignition, then stays on fully after 5 mins. So I dived under the drivers seat extracted all the crap that accumulates under there wobbled the wires around and "Bingo" job sorted, but for how long. who knows. Now for the next problem. I have"Swarm of bees" that seem to have gathered around the back of the radio any ideas out there anybody?

Monday, 21 February 2005

Discussion Archived

Little Geoff
Joined Nov 2002
15 posts

OK so this is just prelimanary as I have yet to put my car back together but I think I have found the problem to the peugeot airbag lights!!
Basically the car IS doing its job. It's just dodgy wiring....let me explain.
If you look at the little orange connectors that are used in the airbag and seat pre-tensioner systems, you will see there are two springy bits above the pins (male connectors) This is infact 1 peice of metal. A "V " shape down into connector.
These should get pushed away from the pin when you connect the two sides, however if this doesnt happen, with EITHER spring it make a complete curcuit in the system and the warning light comes on.
Basically it's telling you that the airbag system is working loose....
trouble is it's just a little sensative.
So far I have found 3 of these in my '96 106. One beneath each seat and one in the STEERING column. Which explains why everyone is thinking it's the seatbelt pre-tensioner set....they work loose the quickest.

My reasoning....
I had stripped my airbag system. Behind the steering wheel is the rotary connector which I removed (DO NOT OPEN THIS -It contains 2 meters of coiled copper wire!! VERY tricky to put back togther.) Having these isolated connectors out of the car. I messed about with a tester for about 3 hours to finally work this out. As you will see, not only does it explain why everyone was looking at the seat belt pretensioners. it also explains resolving (some of) the issue when you take those connectors away. But also why other people havnt succeeded. (the 3rd on in the steering column)

To resolve the problem I have simply pulled the spring part out. (it comes out easily) This should leave you with a fully functioning airbag system, but NO warning system)

Also worth metioning, is the you do NOT have to remove the airbag. or steering wheel. DISARM the airbag though!! The 3rd connector is in housing by the key ignition lock.

As I said, i am putting the system back togther tommorrow, and I will let you know how I get on. Thanks for reading all of this, but I hope it helps!!

Saturday, 16 April 2005

Discussion Archived

Little Geoff
Joined Nov 2002
15 posts

Well my car is back together....and I've still got a flashing light....
I took all the little clips out, put them back in...i tried everything....still got a flashing light. I can only assume now that I have duff seatbelt tensioners or a duff airbag....oh well....
anyone else with a bright idea...?

Saturday, 16 April 2005

Discussion Archived

Ace
Joined Nov 2004
440 posts

I would be tempted to deactivate the airbag circuit by removing the appropriate fuse - assuming this is legit. Having the seatbelt pre-tensioners or airbag firing on a normal journey doesn't sound like much fun to me. Otherwise get the airbag and pre-tensioners looked at by a garage.
Anyone know if the airbag system sends a fault code to the ECU? If it does then you can have it read to find out what is wrong.

Monday, 18 April 2005

Discussion Archived

Pants
Joined Nov 2004
5 posts

Certianly on my many visits to the garage, before understanding this as a systematic fault and pursuing the suggestions on this thread, they would "reset the fault code" ..... and charge accordingly of course.

Thursday, 21 April 2005

Discussion Archived

welshy34
Joined Feb 2005
9 posts

i too had this airbag light problem and although peugeot fixed it (£100) every now and again it comes back on. I rattle the orange wires under the drivers seat and hey presto no light.
I tried every fuse to try and stop it coming on but the only fuse that would kill the light also took out half of my dashboard electrics. If you find a way of disconnecting it please let everyone know..
GOOD LUCK

welshy34

Thursday, 21 April 2005

Discussion Archived

steve005
Joined May 2005
13 posts

i have had my 306 for a few months now its a 1998 306 in the last 2 days my car ia showing signs of the air bag light fault...joy. i have read many ways of trying to resolve the matter. could any one tell me is the air bag still safe and in working order??. i am confident that the fault is just the dodgy wirering as on some journeys the light goes out. but i am worried that if the warning light is on then my air bag will not work or go off when driving.

Tuesday, 24 May 2005

Discussion Archived

Messages 1 to 20 of 49.

Important Note

All messages are submitted by visitors to this web site, and represent their own personal opinion. They do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Preloved.

You use this information at your own risk. Preloved can not be held responsible for any damages or loss resulting from the use of this site. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more details.