Overall Ratings

Overall

Based upon average ratings provided by 15 members - add your own review

Showing reviews 1 to 14 of 14.

JT
Reviewed October 2006.

Performance Safety
Accomodation Overall Value for Money

I bought my triple keeled Achilles 24 twelve months ago and certainly don't regret it. She's a great little yacht that has taken me accross the channel twice and from the Solent down to the West country for 2 weeks this summer. She's responsive and handles well in all conditions. Upwind performance is steady but she flies downwind, especially in a blow. I seen speeds in double figures which is remarkable for a boat of this size and age. Sailing single handed is easy and the accommodation is perfect for this or with a close friend. I have slept 3 on my boat but storage space starts to become a bit of an issue, the 4th berth is just for bags! I would recommend the Achilles 24 to anyone reasonably fit. You don't need to be agile to sail her but you do to get in and out of the fore peak.

Owned for 1 year.

Mouette Solitaire
Reviewed January 2006.

Performance Safety

Great fun and safe as houses.
Always sails better when I leave her alone to get on with it.
Just learn to reef early

Owned for 3 years.
http://achilles24.users.btopenworld.com/

Viking
Reviewed October 2005.

Performance Safety

I have sailed an Achilles 24 for 4 years and consider her to be one of the best small yachts available my one has competed in some of the worlds most difficult ocean races, performed well and survived, she is the kind of boat that you can't part with.
I have been sailing for 30 years in all knid of boats offshore races etc and I have not yet found the limits of the Achilles 24.
Only disadvantage is she's wet in rough weather, and the accomodation is small, but its worth the trade off. If you are in the market for a small safe and responsive yacht then don't hesitate. Fair Winds!

Owned for 4 years.

Huw
Reviewed August 2004.

Performance Safety

I owned a triple keel Achilles from 1989-1992 & like most owners I only sold her to get a boat with more room inside.
After 11 consecutive days sailing to Milford Haven from Bristol & back I felt like a hermit living in a cave! However, they sail like a dream (unlike most bilge-keelers the triple sails extremely well) - enough to win club races on handicap. The early ones have a low bridge-deck, which could be dangerous if you ship a lot of water.
I like them so much I'm looking for another! Excellent value for a starter boat

Owned for 3 years.

sailingxx@aol.com
Reviewed August 2003.

Performance Safety

ideal boat for running aground
by mistake

Never owned

Preloved Visitor
Reviewed February 2004.

Performance Safety

i own a tripple keel at the momment and im having so much fun with it with no sailing experience i learnt very quickly with few mistakes she is very forgiving and is quick enough for my needs at 5 knots average sailed to cherbourg from dartmouth in 19 hours long trip for a little yacht but realy enjoyed it im thinking of moving up to a bigger yacht soon or maybe i will keep her for one last season she will be hard to part with and the negetive she is very difficult to manouver with an outboard as its past the rudder well best regards jason

Owned for 4 years.

Preloved Visitor
Reviewed September 2003.

Performance Safety

This was my first boat and I love it,a real buzz in a chop,makes you want too push it and handles like a dinghy,loads of fun,pops back up no worrys,try one you'll like it.

Owned for 3 years.

Preloved Visitor
Reviewed September 2003.

Performance Safety

Great boat. The sailing equivalent of 1970`s sports cars like the MGB. There may be more sophisticated and faster modern equivalents, but they don`t have the same classic responsive feel about them. And the small freeboard keeps you in close touch with your surroundings just like the low-slung seats of the MGB! Sail condition and trim needs to be spot on to get the best out of the boat. Very good value (you should be able to find a good`un for under 5k) if you put performance ahead of accommodation, which I certainly do.

Owned for 1 year.

Preloved Visitor
Reviewed June 2003.

Performance Safety

Loved this boat. The accomodation's basic, but if you want to sail, this is the one. But don't forget, it's only a little boat. For best results don't bother with an inboard engine, spray hood and heavy gear. It'll sail better and you'll save money!

Never owned

Preloved Visitor
Reviewed April 2003.

Performance Safety

A great boat for club racing, with ideal wind conditions in the 8-12knot range.Due to comparatively light displacement finds waves a bit of a problem if racing.

Owned for 5 years.

Adverts Currently On Preloved

BELLA SARA COLLECTORS...

FULL SUSPENSION MOUNTAIN...

GREEK WALL PLAQUE

Place an ad here for free

» More achilles 24 ads...

Preloved Visitor
Reviewed March 2003.

Performance Safety

This is a brilliant little boat. Easy to sail, very forgiving and very quick. It frequently outperforms much larger boats. If you like sitting around in marinas this probably is not the boat for you but if you want to SAIL you won't find much better.

Owned for 5 years.

Preloved Visitor
Reviewed January 2003.

Performance Safety

Excellent starter boat - tends to be wet in heavy weather without a sprayhood. Sailed the triple keel version with wife and two small children. Sitting headroom only but a lot of fun - sails very well - a 'real' small cruiser, solidly built, with a bit of pace .

Owned for 5 years.

Preloved Visitor
Reviewed October 2002.

Performance Safety

Ideal boat for beginner and experenced sailors. Choose fin keel option for sailing performance. Limited accomodation space, but generally value for money entry level yacht

Owned for 3 years.

Preloved Visitor
Reviewed October 2002.

Performance Safety

A very well designed small yacht with outstanding sailing performance.

Owned for more than 5 years.

Showing reviews 1 to 14 of 14.

Important Note

All ratings and reviews are submitted by visitors to this web site, and represent their own personal opinion. They do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Preloved.

You use this information at your own risk. Preloved can not be held responsible for any damages or loss resulting from the use of this site. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more details.