Overall Ratings

Overall

Based upon average ratings provided by 55 members - add your own review

Showing reviews 1 to 20 of 54.

Flash Gordon
Reviewed February 2012.

Performance Reliability
Parts Availability Overall Value for Money

is it easy to fix a petrol leak coming from beside the fuel pump ??

great wee car cheap to run cheap insurance what more can ya ask for :)
none that i can think of
Reviewing a 2000 model.
matiz se plus
Owned for more than 5 years.

Lloydies
Reviewed February 2011.

Performance Reliability

Purchased from new in 1998 one of the first launched SE+ with A/C & given a top of the range radio/cassette.
Paid cash for it (half the price i'd also just purchased a new Vectra).
The Vectra was nothing but trouble with Independant engineers & GM complaints department trying to sort out numerous problems.

Could not believe the amount of room in the rear with so much headroom (I'm tall & well built).

The Matiz has behaved superbly from day one & here we are with a 13 year old car just about to clock up the 50,000 miles mark.
I hardly wash the car (have rarely waxed) & the comments i get about the superb paint quality as it's bright red.

It came with 3 years free service/parts which was a new idea in them days.
When it was fairly new i mentioned about a pitting on an alloy wheel, they put a new set on!!

Over the years it's cost me an exhaust (first one lasted 10 years).
A set of tyres (very cheap).
Had the obligatory cambelt change done due to age not mileage.
A set of brakes, a couple of brake pipes.
Two batteries (i change once they start to deteriorate).

Cheap tax, very cheap Insurance (group 2).

I sometimes forget to fill up the tank as the guage moves so rarely, seems to run on air!!

The Aircon i've had regassed once & it's always been icy cold in minutes, the heaters always been very efficient.

Apart from a couple rust scabs on lower rear arch & supermarket trolley dings the cars like new.

I could keep this car forever, it doesn't owe me a penny.

I often think shall i get rid of this car as we also have a 2litre Mondeo Ghia which drinks fuel, but i'm loathe to part with my little trusted Matiz (nicknamed The Bug).

Guys at work took the mickie saying i should've kept the box it came in as it'll be worth money in years to come (Dinkie toy). But they couldn't believe how agile & fast it was.

On the strength of my purchase, my brother, his friend & our neighbour purchased new Matiz's.

I never liked the facelift models that were launched.

Think reading from some of these comments that you've been unlucky :(

PS easy to park in tight spots where no other car can park, i've even nearly parked it in a shopping trolley bay ;)

Compact cheap to run stylish car
None
Reviewing a 1998 model.
SE+ with A/C
Owned for more than 5 years.

chic&cheery
Reviewed November 2010.

Performance Reliability

i have had my Daewoo Matiz SE since July 2006, bought it with only 16,400 on clock....mileage now at just over 65,000. Had just one older gentleman owner prior to me, he tootled about in it...i use it every day to do a school run which is 20 mins there and back, i do on average 250 miles a week just for school...!! Cheap to insure and fill with fuel, it's been a real boon for me. Not that roomy if you intend picking up large items but fantastic for running about in. Had a few things done at my local garage (anyone who has even travelled to a Chevrolet Dealer should REALLY just use their local garage, Dealers are useless!!). Engine Management light is on/off all the time.......apparently this is a BIG fault with the Matiz, so we ignore it and were told to as there is no fault with it!!! Had some wear and tear work done.......brakes, exhaust was rusty in mid-section, had new battery last year.........would i have another one? If i can't fine a slighrtly bigger car at the right price then i would definately get another Matiz...very nippy, a DREAM to park and quirky and cute......anyone who has serious problems with one of these has either got to be serously unlucky or they should really get to know a GOOD, LOCAL GARAGE/MECHANIC as i wouldn't touch a DEALER at all-they just rip you off!!!!!!! Brilliant first time car for newly acquired Licence Holder - get one!

CHEAP FOR FUEL/QUIRKY/VERY NIPPY
NOT THAT ROOMY
Reviewing a 2001 model.
SE
Owned for 4 years.

tess
Reviewed September 2010.

Performance Reliability

I bought my dawoo Matiz se+ about 3 months ago, and even though it's not the fastest or stylish car in the world, it's no BMW! But it is a very good little car. I use mine for work so city driving is very economical. £35 to fill the tank and it last me the week.

So far up to now I've only had to change a bulb. It's just hit 50000 miles, and the engine managment light has just come on. I've been told it's likely to be my erg valve it whatever! There had also been a rattleing fronm the exhaust, this needs replacing.

However, the parts are relativly cheap n easy to self-fit! A great run a about. I love mine, it's quirky and fun!

Cheap to run, quirky, lots for your cash
Rattles, cheap, not fast or a substantial car
Reviewing a 2002 model.
Se+
Owned for 3 months.

salty
Reviewed August 2009.

[enlarge]

Performance Reliability

i have owned my matiz for 8 months , but its been in the family for 4 years its a w reg se plus , its imaculate no rust drives like new and returns just over 50mpg round town and over 60 on a run , the egr valve has just failed but the only sign is exhaust gas smell inside the car when parked in traffic, its super quiet inside the only gripe i have is that 1st to second gear could be easier to get in , its just coming upto 39000 miles this week and wouldnt change it for anything at the moment, no finance means more money in the bank for me

reliable. smooth. quiet .economical. air con
gearbox a bit notchy
Reviewing a 2000 model.
se plus
Owned for 6 months.

Archer
Reviewed January 2009.

Performance Reliability

I've had 2 Matiz cars, one from new in 1998 and more recently a 2001 model bought on 2005. The first one did 24,000 miles without so much as a bulb blowing - faultless. The second has been very reliable and only has two problems apart from normal wear and tear. The first was the gear change, which became very stiff and was due to a collapsed rubber bush in the end of one of the gear change cables. The bush is about the size of a 10p piece but cannot be purchased alone - you must buy the whole damn cable assembly for about £60! The next problem was the engine fault light comming on twice. The Daewoo agent charged £38 just to tell me what the fault was and wanted over £200 to replace the EGR valve - so I bought the part and did the 15 minute job myself. Another garage then charged another £35 just to reset the warning light (5 minute job)... I've now bought myself a engine fault reader for £40 so I can diagnose faults myself. The second fault light I have yet to solve -eek. Overall a good car. Brilliant city car, easy to park with surprisingly spacious interior, cheeky looks, 42mpg urban and 49mpg motorway.

Ease of driving/parking. Low running costs. Interior space/design.
Cost of genuine parts.
Reviewing a 2001 model.
Daewoo Matiz SE Plus 796cc
Owned for 5 years.

mekeni
Reviewed December 2007.

Performance Reliability

Bought the car for £1500, second hand with 1 previous owner. T reg SE Plus. When I got the car, the alloys looked pretty awful as it rusted under the paint. For the few months, it ran pretty well. I could get to where I wanted to go no problem. After passing my test I used it more often. But it wasn't long before I started having problems.

1. The next day after passing my test, I drove out to some friends. It rained heavily for about 3 hours and that evening when I was about to head home, I opened the door and realised it wasn't locked! Tried to start and nothing came on. The security light was still flashing yet nothing worked. No lights on the front or the dashboard. Then jumped started it with another car. A mechanic came out, turned out the rain may have tripped the imobiliser! Made me wonder that if I can over ride the imobiliser by jump starting it, its going to be no trouble for a thief to take my car!

2. Couple of weeks later, the car died twice in the same week. Took it to the garage on both occasions (a different garage to where I got it from) first time they said the battery was alright in itself, the second time they changed the battery to one of these all new liquid batteries.

3. Front offside tyre kept deflating after re-inflating it several times. Took it to Kwik-fit and they found that the alloy had coroded inside and was leaking air. They polished and resealed the tyre for free! They also found a hole in the end exhaust and it was blowing so they placed a bracket on it as a short term fix.

4. The exhaust broke off its braces. The rear two braces holding the end of the exhaust and the back box had broken off due to rust. Had them soldered back on by a private garage for a tenner. Also had the blow hole soldered over.

5. Car would not turn ignition at all. Literally nothing. Called mechanic out. Asked for another key but I only had the master key. Had it towed to the original garage. They charged me £50 because they had to arrange an electrician to check the car out, only to tell me that they couldn't do anything because they didnt have the equipment. Paid £90 to get it towed to a Chevrolet garage as they now own Daewoo. They said it may possibly be the coding in the key not matching that of the immobiliser. They also found a faulty distributor. That cost me £238 PLUS £87 to recover the car from the AA (so I got charged to get it towed there and for them to recieve it!!)

6. Car was jolting while driving! One of the spark plugs wasn't sparking! Replaced them myself getting spark plugs from local motoring shop. Spark plug furthest from from distributor wasn't sparking. Replaced all three spark plugs just incase! What may have been a £60 job at the garage cost me £6 and 20 minutes of my time. Also had all 3 HT Leads replaced the next day just incase. Again also did it myself. Note: If you can do it yourself, do it! Save yourself some money!

7. Car would not turn ignition AGAIN. Mechanic was called out and asked for another key. Again, I still had just the one. Got it towed to the Chevrolet garage. Paid £50 for a replaced battery (when it wasn't the battery) and recoded the master key with the immobiliser. Note: I'm a 19 yr old girl and they didn't tell me they changed the battery. All they told me was that they found the key code was corrupted, therefore didn't match that of the immobiliser so they reset both codes and it was fine! I didn't know about the battery until my dad looked over the reciept and translated the short worded "crap" on the receipt!

8. Tyres changed due to wear. Not really a problem but still cost me money!

9. Car died again. Starter motor wouldn't tick over. Had it towed to Chevrolet again. It was there for 3 days and they replaced the computer inside which cost £400.

10. The clutch fell apart. Literally disintergrated. So had new clutch, new clutch cable, new C.V, 2 litres of gear oil, new speed cable, drained the cooling system and put new anti freeze. £552 yet they couldn't start it and spent 10 hours trying to start it before they decided to give it and had it taken on a flat bed back to Chevrolet! P.s They know us pretty well by now! As well as the breakdown crew! Gotta love Greenflag!

11. Took car back to local garage (not the one we got it from) to have the battery checked. Checked it over, replaced with a new one only to find that the car would not start and ended up having a recovery from greenflag. Mechanic made a note of possible ingnition coil fault. Car was taken to Chevrolet and the key was reprogrammed once again for a third time and sent back to us!

12. God knows how many more occasions ( just to save us some time) during November the car died and failed to start. All occasions the car was taken back to Chevrolet. They replaced the key and the chip the first time, all other times they just reprogrammed the coding in the car and key.

13. Now in december the car is back in the garage again after failing to start! All times this car has died, it's been taken out, stopped for a few hours and then failed to start!

I may have little knowledge of cars but I know for a fact that the coding in the key cannot just "corrupt" itself within a few hours while still being in the ignition or being in your pocket! It's not like I scratch it on the ground the whole time or drop it constantly. The garage fails to see that the key is not the problem even if it does give a temporary fix. Most aspects of the engine has either been changed or checked. I say most because I know for a fact that not every single part of the engine has been looked at else they'd have found the problem already! Different garages have given us different opinions and we relay these suggestions back to Chevrolet however they don't seem to take any notice. Despite having more new parts, the car is now only worth £300 in a part exchange (so they say) which I find not only insulting but also ridiculous. You'd think it would be worth more than that seeing as not even a small computer would cover that cost.

Nice little car, ran smoothly, I enjoyed driving it!
It keeps dying!
Reviewing a 1999 model.
Se Plus
Owned for 2 years.

edg
Reviewed October 2007.

Performance Reliability

i've had my car for a nearly 2yrs and it was my first car and i had a good deal with it it was £1695 the garadge was 2 mins away at the end of my road and he took £95 off it has elec windows power stearing cd player airbags the lots not bad for a cheap first car and an s reg ,the only thing is iwished it had a bigger engine sometimes but i do love my car and as i paid for it my self and tax and insurnace it worth alot to me would hate to sale it but would like a bigger car one day

cheap to run and buy cute at times
small engine neds more power
Reviewing a 1999 model.
its a speed
Owned for 1 year.

Nobel 200
Reviewed February 2006.

Performance Reliability

An elderley relative owns an early matiz and I am allowed to borrow it regularly to give it a good run. The three cylinder engine gives a distinctive buzz and is preferable to the newer boring 4 cylinder ones. The original styling is also cleaner.

The only gripe is the ride can be pitchy, but remember it is a compact car..., the brake warning light is on constantly. (There is no fault) and the loss of space due to airbags

Never owned

Zena
Reviewed July 2005.

Performance Reliability

I have an original Daewoo Matiz. S Registered (1998) In short, it doesnt get any older!!!! I've noticed a lot of complaints on here about this little car, but I have to say that mine's been a dream! She's getting old now, which means she is starting to cost, but is reliable, fuel efficient and dead cute!
Yes, they are noisy little cars, but lets be honest, at less than £6000 from new what do you expect? My only complaint is that I wish it had electric windows ( a pain in the rump when heading for the Dartford tunnel - driving and winding at the same time can be a pain!!!) and I REALLY wish it had central locking (so far I've locked my keys in three times!!!)

Would I buy one again? yes, definately, but would go for a 1l rather than the 796cc version!

Owned for 2 years.

Adverts Currently On Preloved

2002 DAEWOO MATIZ EZ PLUS...

DAEWOO MATIZ, 2003 (53),...

2001 DAEWOO MATIZ SE+ 5DR...

BATTERY DAEWOO MATIZ

SPARES AND REPAIRS

DAEWOO MTIZ 0.8

DAEWOO MATIZ W REG

DAEWOO MATIZ 04

Place an ad here for free

» More daewoo matiz ads...

Gillorient
Reviewed March 2005.

Performance Reliability

Our Matiz is almost 1 year old and in that year we have had a repeated problem with the air bag light coming on and after a trip to the dealers, going off temporarily before coming back on again. We have also had a problem with the MIL light which was cured after replacement of a valve (?) and following a service at which we were told the clutch cable had been replaced (safety recall for all matiz's) were told this week that it looked as if the cable had NOT been replaced!
Dealers simply show a couldnt care less attitude and Chevrolet offered us £20 in petrol vouchers for the inconvenience we have suffered during our 8 visits to and from dealers, mainly for the Airbag problem. This compensated us for 1 visit as on only one occasion have we been able to use a courtesy car, the other times we would have had to wait up to 6 weeks for an appointment. The other times my disabled husband has had to either hang about at the dealers for up to 5 hours, or get trains back (involving 2 changes) to where we live as the dealer we got the car from shut down about 4 months after we bought the car!
This car was purchased as a Motability car and the sheer inconvenience of having to travel anything up to 1 1/2 hours to the nearest dealer is amazing. Motability are assisting us in the cancellation of the contract-hire agreement and have told us that because of the problems we have had, they are expecting Chevrolet to waive any early redemption monies that may be due.
My opinion? Do not tough them with a brage pole. The car runs lovely when there are no faults, but the dealers are a disgrace.

Owned for 1 year.

chrisc
Reviewed January 2004.

Performance Reliability

Had my V plate SE+ since Oct 1999. My wife fell in love with the car. Cheap to run and insure a bit underpowered and the brakes are bad and so is the standard daewoo radio/cassete(go for sony upgrade option far superior tuner). Breeze around town, dream to park and if you drive it hard will do over 80!however we have had our fair share of faults with it.

4 x alloy wheels replaced (corrosion)

Rear offside wheel bearing replaced (noisy)

Airbag unit replaced(light on all the time)

Exhaust rubber mounts replaced nearlly on every service(noisy)

all above faults luckily replaced under warranty FOC.

I think majority of servicing problems arose because of the lack of dealers and having the car serviced at Halfords. However Daewoo dealer servicing is as bad. After every service car fels the same! In the past my other cars always felt new!
Last service (4yr/40K)cost me nearlly £300(My V6 Ford cougar was less than half that!)The AA Service center who did the service also tried to con me into replacing the timing belt at 40K when both the handbook and Daewoo say 60K so I told them where to go! Oh the front pads shattered (Common on Matiz's) hence the service was done early
My Matiz has nearlly done 40K now and the fuel cosumption is on the way up as is the engine noise, which is becoming all the more rattly! Oh and my wife is just off the phone saying the battery light is on all the time what next? Battery,alternator or both?
I have slagged its servicability off however in over 4 years of my wife and I driving our matiz it has never let us down or left us stranded. Its just a pity that the build quality wasnt a bit better.

Owned for 4 years.

Joe Peddos
Reviewed December 2003.

Performance Reliability

After reading all the comments I think I must have been fairly lucky with my Matiz SE+ which I bought from new and is now 2.5 yrs old. It starts first time gives good mpg or should that be mpl. I have only had to have 3 new parts fitted a front damper which was weeping slightly, the sender unit for the petrol gauge and a new radio all replaced FOC. To be fair I have had to wait for the parts but the faults have not been bad enough to stop me from driveing the car. I would certainly consider another one especially with the 3 yr package that comes with it.

Joe Peddos

Owned for 2 years.

tigerpig
Reviewed December 2003.

Performance Reliability

Bought Matiz EZ+ in Aug 02, with 500 miles on clock. Engine cut out twice since whilst driving along. Now, 7500 miles on clock, malfunction indicator lamp permanently on. Driving sluggishly, Daewoo can't look til Monday at the earliest, that's if I don't want a company car, or Tuesday if I do want a company car. Got to drive 20 miles to dealer too, lets hope nothing happens on the way there!

Any ideas how much I'll be charged to correct whatever's causing the MIL to stay on?

If only I had traded it in for a new Nissan Micra as I had been planning anyway! Should have done so last week. Don't think I'd buy another Matiz. Was okay for after I first passed my test however as insurance was v cheap.

Owned for 1 year.

tigerpig
Reviewed December 2003.

Performance Reliability
- -
- -

Bought my EZ+ 02 reg Matiz in Aug 02, with 500 miles on clock. Gear box hasn't been brill, and engine has cut out on two occasions when driving the car, thankfully only at max 40mph. However I fear the problems have started today....was driving along less than an mile from having left home and the malfunction indicator lamp started flashing, then went solid. Driving v sluggishly, drove back home (still haven't got to uni today!) phoned two local Daewoo dealers....both at least 20 miles away....one can't check it til Monday and no courtesy car, the other has a courtesy car if I wait til Tuesday! Let's hope its fixed for my exam at uni on Wednesday!
Only a couple of weeks ago I picked up a brochure for a new Nissan Micra, how I wished I already traded in my Matiz!
Anyone else had the malfunction indicator lamp come on permanently, if so what was the prob, and more importantly how much did they charge you to fix it? :o/ Surely this shouldn't happen to a car thats only 19 months old? 7500 miles on clock, owned by myself for 14 months. Only serviced 4 months ago!

-
Owned for 1 year.

Justin
Reviewed October 2003.

Performance Reliability

My wife has had her Matiz for around 2 years now with very little trouble.

Recently though the she broke down with a gear problem. The problem is that she can find 1st, 3rd and 5th but cant get it into 2nd 4th and reverse it just springs back into neutral.

Has anybody had similar problems??

I would be glad to hear from you

Owned for 2 years.

zippy
Reviewed September 2003.

Performance Reliability

The Matiz is the confusion of my life. A part of me loves it and thinks it whacky and fun the other half wants me to drive it through a brick wall (or trade it in to be nice).
I bought a T reg se plus along with a friend. Buying two cars meant we got big discounts and we only paid a 2995 each for totally loaded cars (even ABS,remote central,alarm).
Anyway, my friend enjoys whizzing about from place to place with no hassle, trouble free motoring and enjoying every moment of his bargain matiz motor. However myself am motoring from one repair garage to the other. I try to bear with it...hold out on the car...but after one year of constant faults then I'm getting really tired and fed-up.
Wheel bearing (2 visits to garage)
Fan belt
Plug fault then Ht leads fault
New alloys
New exhaust (ok - wear and tear)
Windscreen washer motor
Catalitic converter (big money)

Thankfully a lot of this was replaced (by sheer moaning)for free.

I love the Matiz but getting tired of fighting it's corner all of the time.

If you're thinking of buying one then get it checked over by a good mechanic as atleast peace of mind that you're getting a good one will ease your motoring days.

Owned for 1 year.

jkh
Reviewed September 2003.

Performance Reliability

i purchased a matiz se+ air con from toomy daewoo at basildon 5 months ago i bought the car fOr cash £4200 ITS A W REG 2000 ONE OWNER FSH 9600K problems so far have been non stop heres a list

#1 oil leak after daewoo service took 1 day to fix

#2 massive oil leak sump nut loose oil filter hanging off excessiveoil all over car and engine and driveway.back to garage took 2 days to repair.

#3garage called to bring car back again as engine gaurd had to be changed as old one had coroded badly sales rep replaced gaurd in our presance 1 day in garage.

#4 rubber on rear door split back to garage would not repair.

#5 stereo face is cracking take back to dealer again refused to repair.

#6interior light ceases to function back to garage light repred took 1 day to replace bulb???

#7 as compensation for all the problems we have encountered with car we are offered side protection strips,accept, takes two weeks to aquire parts 15 minutes to fit them

#8 car starts running badly cutting out rattling consuming excessive petrol lots of squeaks and rattles coming from cabin?
back to garage again told would take 2 days just over a week later got car back. whole engine management had to be changed.

#9 as i sit here writing this the car is in the garage again this time the bar in the ignition has completely snapped they estimate upto 6 weeks for parts but we'll see!

in conclusion be warned these are not a cheap and cheerfull runabout before i go any further i want you to know i have extensive mechanical knowledge of all cars except up untill now the daewoo range there deal is that no workshop manual is available and its near to impossible to obtain any daewoo parts required this car should never have been sold in the british market as quite frankly it is not up to the same standards of other small cars made by other manufacturers.

Owned for 6 months.

Mike
Reviewed August 2003.

Performance Reliability

I have only just purchased this Matiz secondhand)and find it to be quite an exceptional car (touch wood). I hadn't seen any of the reviews before my purchase. It was registered in 1999 and has 44K on the clock. It runs extremely well and starts first time every time. I am hoping that it will continue to perform trouble free for many years to come.

Owned for 1 month.

yones
Reviewed May 2003.

Performance Reliability

I recently bought a second hand daewoo matiz se+ a year ago. It has been fun driving it as it was good for it's money. Months later i had problems with the break lights, so i booked my car in slough, as the years warrently was about to run out. My Mother kindly drove all the way there and back. As she approched London, she told me that the car was pulling as she was changing the gears between 1-4. When i drove the car on the Tuesday it was okay, but by Wednesday it was realy bad. took it to a local garage and confirmed my diagnose's of the car. I spoke the dealers in Slough booked my car for further tests. As much as the matiz se+ are good for the money, but the parts are ever so expencice and take ages to order, and once one problem starts another occurs soon after. Are we better of with the Fords or what????

Owned for 1 year.

Showing reviews 1 to 20 of 54.

Important Note

All ratings and reviews are submitted by visitors to this web site, and represent their own personal opinion. They do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Preloved.

You use this information at your own risk. Preloved can not be held responsible for any damages or loss resulting from the use of this site. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more details.