Overall Ratings

Overall

Based upon average ratings provided by 135 members - add your own review

Showing reviews 61 to 80 of 140.

mikew
Reviewed August 2003.

Performance Reliability
Parts Availability Overall Value for Money

I had a problem with my Punto same as Marcus, it just died, it would start and drive for a couple of miles and then stop. Turned out to be the fuel pump fuse being cracked, not blown just cracked. Now I need new bushes front and rear

Owned for 4 years.

Wood
Reviewed August 2003.

Performance Reliability

1996 55s - Bought this second hand only about 3 months ago, and at first appeared to be an amazing car, and only had 30000 miles on the clock. In the last three weeks ive had to replace (bearing in mind I had this car checked over by a qualified mechanic before I bought it!!) brake pads, side lights, front right tyre (when i bought it - but i knew about this) and then again front right tyre (complete balding on the inside) The tracking has had to be done and today had the recall brake pipes done. They have now told me there is some knocking (radius arm needs looking at - and i dont know what the hell that is - if anyone can help me - please email!) and the door strap needs checking cos it is making a bloody loud noise every time i open the door. I want to get rid of it but I cant be bothered, it just seems easier to deal with the problems as they turn up!!

Owned for 3 months.

bistoSPORTING
Reviewed August 2003.

Performance Reliability

I own a 1996 punto 55s and as it is my first car i cant really compare with anything, but i would say it is an average car, which starts to go rapidly downhill after a while. the car is at least still roadworthy, which is always a good sign, but there have been a few problems: the tracking goes out so quickly that last time i took it to the garage both front wheels were bald down the inside edge! as i drive it quite hard and the car is not used to being pushed to its limits, it has started complaining a lot more- i.e. the exhaust corroded and fell off a month ago, the rear suspension bushes are badly worn and cause an annoying constant knocking (this problem is common with almost all puntos i hear). also, because of the age of the car, small things are constantly going wrong now: brake lights & sidelights needing replaced often, radio aerial needs replaced, rear wiper has failed, interior light is leaking during rain occasionally, passenger door seal causes wind noise, the list goes on! but i wouldnt say this is a terrible car- absolutely no signs of rust, and the engine is as good as new! good points- a nice little runaround with good fuel economy and the engine sounds nice and racy at high revs! dont go for this car if you want something to modify as there is too much to do- gearstick is ridiculously large, would suit a truck better i think, and personally i dont like the feel of the steering wheel either. contrary to what i've said, this isnt a bad car by any means and if you're prepared to put up with regular trips to the garage this is an affordable little motor. if you do own one, i wish you good luck for the next MOT...

Owned for more than 5 years.

JT
Reviewed August 2003.

Performance Reliability
- -
- -

Hi, does anybody have any comments on the new fiat punto 1.2 elx 16v (2001)? I'm considering buying one, but was wondering whether it is plagued by the same problems as the older versions?? Any help would be much appreciated, thanks

-
Never owned

chris from pompey
Reviewed July 2003.

Performance Reliability

happily driving to work today and.....oh look the steering wheel has popped off in my hands! joy!dont buy a fiat punto if your reading this and you dont already have one. if you have one fill it with fresh meat and buckets of fish blood, then drive it into an amozon lake infested with piranah...

Owned for 3 months.

GeeBee
Reviewed July 2003.

Performance Reliability

3 years ago I bought a 97 Punto 70 TDSX. Very nice! Sun roof, steering mounted radio controls, decided to buy the warranty 3yrs).
The first year was a dream! Lovely runner, family happy at new car; spacious, economic, great performance.
Year 2 Needed its service and the dealership started to notice a few problems. Brake pipes/ tyres/ Boot lock!Suspension. Problems sorted: Quite costly.
Year 3: EVRYTHINGS GOING WRONG!!! Suspension, head gasket, cracked radiator, brake discs (recalled pipes) Suspension mounts?
Each time I visit the dea;ership, they seem to find another more expensive item that miraculously is not covered by the extended warranty. REALLY difficult to get in touch with them at any time. Cant get a courtesy car for love nor money. Costing me a fortune. THinking of giving up on cars and buying a ... BICYCLE!!

Owned for 3 years.

nobby
Reviewed July 2003.

Performance Reliability
- -
- -

1996 punto 55s. After reading most of the comments on this page it seems we are all in the same boat. I've had the car for two years with 18 months of cheap, reliable motoring but 6 months ago things went tits up. Heater matrix, brake pipe recall, cylinder head gasket, coolant pump and new bake discs. After forking out for this lot I thought I'd keep the car, but last week its developed a loud knocking noise from the top end. The garage told me they have to strip the engine to find the problem which isn't cheap. The cars worthless as it is but how much more money am I going to spend putting it right? The cars very cheap on insurance, tax, petrol and good around town but when things start going wrong there a money pit.

-
Owned for 2 years.

Nigel Armitage
Reviewed July 2003.

Performance Reliability

1998 Punto 60s bought at one year old, 9,000 miles (now 53,000) from a Fiat main dealer.
So far its not cost me too much and is very economical with plenty of room inside.
Its had one or two little faults like an odd oil leak from somewhere, the drivers door needs a good slam, the courtesy light fills up with water sometimes and drenches the passenger and rough idling.
The one worrying thing about it is that when I bought the car from the Fiat dealer I didn't know anything about the all important Red Key. The dealer and Fiat themselves are not in the slightest bit interested that I didn't get one with the car. I just hope it hasn't knackered its resale value too much.
I've found getting repairs done has been quite cheap as long as you avoid the dealer.
New tyre(£40), Cam belt change (£60), new discs (£30 fitted, Plugs and leads (£38). Nothing else really apart from a few bulbs. Never failed to start or let me down.
The handling isn't great and it has no power steering so it can be really difficult to park - it was a cheap car though so I can't complain.
The key issue makes me very nervous - fingers crossed it won't fail.

Never owned

Alun
Reviewed July 2003.

Performance Reliability

1996 55S. Bought Feb 2002 with 26,000 genuine miles on the clock. First car for my son. First MOT in May 2002 cost £4 to replace the orange indicator bulbs as they had faded. Excellent !!
Can't be bad I thought. Has been looked after since by keeping in line with service intervals ie Oil changes/brake pads at 36k.
37k - Exhaust fell off
May 2003 - MOT. Passed with no repairs required
38k - Replaced leaking rocker/'o'ring gaskets .. no problem & cheap to do.
41k - The nightmare has arived which is why I'm looking at all the forums to confirm my 'fear' - yep, the head gasket has gone. Overheating, erratic tick over but still drives fine with no lack of power.
Doesn't seem fair with regular servicing and low mileage that this sort of 'major fault' should occur.

And finally, a warning to anybody tempted to buy a new shape 1.2 Active Sport. The wife bought one brand new in August last year (and foolishly sold her T-Reg 1.2 60 with no faults and only 34k). And after looking at the various forums I can confirm that they suffer very similar problems.
Here goes:- Sticking door lock barrells-back to dealer twice, power steering warning light came on, serious clutch judder - back to main dealer for replacement parts. And it's only done 6k !!!

Owned for 4 years.

lxsparks
Reviewed July 2003.

Performance Reliability

MY 75SX ('96) is a great car and a joy to drive. The downfall is (and not suprising after reading everyone elses comments on here) - I'm going through exhuasts & brake parts like there's no tomorrow! I have now had the car for 4 years and I fear MOTs....

Owned for 4 years.

Adverts Currently On Preloved

FIAT GRANDE PUNTO 1.9...

1999 FIAT PUNTO - 55,000 MILES

FIAT PUNTO 2005/55 PLATE

FIAT PUNTO 1.3 MULTIJET...

1.2 FIAT PUNTO

FIAT PUNTO HAYNES WORKSHOP...

1.2 FIAT PUNTO

2001 Y REG PUNTO £400 ONO

Place an ad here for free

» More fiat punto ads...

JA
Reviewed July 2003.

Performance Reliability

I bought an X-reg 1.2 Punto new. It was fine for 2.5 years but now I am having endless problems. Have already had the whole engine replaced, a week after that job the ECU blows up. Probably not the last trouble I will have with the car. It seems to me that Fiats are Russian Roulette, my friend loves them - I'll never buy another one again.

Owned for 2 years.

Peter
Reviewed June 2003.

Performance Reliability

1994 55S. Bought 1997 with 20,000 miles on the clock. 6 years later, and the list of repairs is seemingly endless: lambda sensor, exhaust, clutch, handbrake, fuel pump, steering column brushes, brake pipes, 3 new road wheels (corrosion), and now the head gasket has gone. The car is regularly serviced (by Fiat!) and has yet to see 48,000 miles. Nice little car, but seemingly not built to last more than 5 years.

Owned for more than 5 years.

Sarah
Reviewed June 2003.

Performance Reliability

I have very recently bought a P reg Punto 55 SX and has 80'000 miles on the clock. After reading all of these negative reviews I'm scared I've made a huge mistake. Has any body got any thing positive to says to reassure me? On looks alone and first impressions I think the car looks great and is value for money. I hope?

Owned for 1 month.

emiliadarren
Reviewed June 2003.

Performance Reliability

I have had my S reg Fiat Punto now for about 18 months.I had a new clutch put in today 16/06/2003 and have just discovered that my clutch slave cylinder is leaking which will soon enough damage the gear box. I also have a leak from the rocker cover gasket where oil has leaked all over the engine and also had to change the brakes twice..... I will never buy another Fiat!!!!!!!!! [Log in to view email]

Owned for 1 year.

Mehul
Reviewed June 2003.

Performance Reliability

This is Mehul (London). I own a Fiat Punto 85 elx S reg. In excellent condition. My clutch has recently just given in, the mileage is 48,000 is this normal? And does anybody know a good place where I could get a new clutch fitted around London? Reguards Mehul

Owned for 3 months.

COLH
Reviewed June 2003.

Performance Reliability

To Dil
If the rattling you're getting from the back is the same as mine, it'll be where the back seat clips to the chassis for when you want to lower the seat. Took me ages to work it out. It's been back to the garage several times but they can't (or won't) fix it. I've tried sellotape & blue-tac around the little bar that the seat clips onto but to no avail. I simply slam it shut and that works for a few days until it seems to work losse again (although it doesn't feel loose). Maybe this is your problem - maybe not. Worth a try, though.

Owned for 3 years.

dil
Reviewed June 2003.

Performance Reliability
- -
- -

i own a punto 75 elx, i have problem where there is a rattling coming from the back.. any ideas what that may be and how much it'l cost??

-
Owned for 3 months.

jo
Reviewed May 2003.

Performance Reliability

I have had my punto now for 2 years and it has cost me a fortune on parts,now the ECU has decided to pack up and thats gonna set me back another £500,and im sick and tired of hearing from mechanics that 'this is the 4th punto sx this week with the same problem'. WHY on earth are the manufacturers getting away with this, surely they should be replacing these parts as it is obvious, (after reading the comments on this message board), that alot of the faults are identical and not the cause of wear and tear.

Owned for 2 years.

Graham Aylard
Reviewed May 2003.

Performance Reliability
- -
- -

Purchase a 1.7TD SX. With 70K on the clock.

I have had repacement radiator, started motor, rear suspension arms, brake pipes. Had a number of brake parts and tyres and the car has only let me down twice. Radiator pipe split and the rear shoes fell apart. Spent around £2k, if you do the 5000 maile oil cahnge yourself. (easy job)

No problems with the engine. All in all a great little car. I've had it for four years and the clock reads almost 200 000! I still think it will do another 50k!

-
Owned for 4 years.

mm
Reviewed May 2003.

Performance Reliability

I recently was given the punto55 Nreg as a present for my 18th.Its a very good car to drive and looks nice to look at.Also gets about 350miles+ on a full tank.Sadly however its been plagued with problems.Firstly the down pipe cracked and also the brake pipes had to be raplaced too, which was a fault in this model.The shockers have been replaced twice and the overhead cylinder gasket blew.The car kept misfiring and stuttering when moving away, still havnt found out the cause. The electrics are a bit dodgy everytime when braking it would make the indicator become irregular.My next purchase will not be a fiat thats for sure.

Owned for 2 years.

Showing reviews 61 to 80 of 140.

Important Note

All ratings and reviews are submitted by visitors to this web site, and represent their own personal opinion. They do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Preloved.

You use this information at your own risk. Preloved can not be held responsible for any damages or loss resulting from the use of this site. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more details.