Overall

Based upon average ratings provided by 31 members - add your own review

Showing reviews 1 to 20 of 27.

xmissmachinex
Reviewed October 2011.

[enlarge]

Performance Reliability
Parts Availability Overall Value for Money

I bought an NC24 as my first big bike after passing my test and I couldn't be happier. I have had some problems with the rectifier (but these bikes are notorious for it) but generally it's fantastic to ride. It has a nice low seat height, which for a relatively short girl like me makes it a hell of a lot easier to get on! Having only paid £650 for it, there's not one thing I can fault it for. Finding parts can be a bit of a pain, but you come to expect that when buying an imported bike.

Reviewing a 1987 model.
Owned for 3 months.

corsagsi87
Reviewed August 2011.

Performance Reliability

hi there i have just brought a 1988 nc24 and im having a bit of trouble with it its not sparking its turning over but no spark i have replaced the cdi unit and both sets of coils and the regulator rectifier but still nuthing i have now brought a fly wheel with the coil things behind them but im having trouble removing the fly wheel the rest ov the bike is in great condition im in the process of converting it to a streetfighter if any body as any idea ov wot it may be or how to fix the fly wheel problem plz let me no thanks

value for money
electrical problems
Reviewing a 1988 model.
Owned for 1 month.

Hartley
Reviewed April 2008.

[enlarge]

Performance Reliability

I've just got an nc24 3 month's ago for £195 as a non runner put fresh fuel and plug's in it an it started straight away. Fantastic bike very quick on the twisty bend's and good to show the boy racer's up in there scooby's and corsa's. Just in the process of respraying mine gloss black with hm plant decal's and a cbr600 rr3 underseat exhaust will look and sound awesome can't wait. Just replaced fork seal's, sump gasket, exhaust gasket's, plug's, oil and filter now run's sweet. I am also going to be raising the rear by 30mm better handling and look's, fantastic bike for £195.

Fast, reliable, good looking, fairly easy to maintain.
Have to remove the engine to remove the exhaust header's
Reviewing a 1987 model.
Honda VFR400R NC24 1987 D reg 399cc
Owned for 3 months.

shaunmadstuff777
Reviewed September 2007.

Performance Reliability

anyone who has a vfr grey import will have 37mm inner sizes to their front shocks but all good motorbike store will establish whick ones are required as this company done it for me off the shelf. It will have the imensions stamped on the top of the old sills hope this helps

Owned for more than 5 years.

macd
Reviewed August 2003.

Performance Reliability

I love my NC24 but am having problems with parts. I cannot find the correct fork seals to fit. I ordered the ones i thought were correct but they are too big. Mine need to start with 37 not fourty something like the ones i was given. Have my forks been changed before i bought it? Any ideas anyone. Thanks.

Owned for 3 months.

midnight esctacy
Reviewed April 2003.

Performance Reliability

I just shipped my 1994 NC30 over from japan to the USA. Of course parts are going to be hard to find but I could not sell him and get a "normal"bike. I think this bike is a great bike for us women riders!

Tiffany

Owned for 2 years.

Askari
Reviewed November 2002.

Performance Reliability

I have had VFR400 NC24 for around 4 years now, very beautiful bike, tought to maintain. Just order the Hanes manual to service the bike, I had problems with the brakes, too soft, Also I have fitted a CBR900 master cylinder to make the brakes work better. I Have fitted a CBR600 rectifier. Old model CBR600 had same rectifier like VFR400 NC24. I have also put a Large size cooler fan and re-located the rectifier to the rear seat where there is no engine heat to burn it. I am Just looking for aftermarket Large volume radiatior.

NC24 runs better with Airfilter removed.

Owned for 4 years.

manic mechanic
Reviewed November 2002.

Performance Reliability

I have recently bought a 1990 nc30
and it has the best comfort and handling
of any bike i have ever been on.

I paid £850 for it as it was a non-runner but when i got there i found the fuel was off and the brakes had seized i turned the fuel on and the bike started first time (with some choke and revs),(after getting over the lock up on the brakes) i went round the block slammed on the brakes and they cleared up instantly. I have had it tunned and the carbs ballenced it was already de-restricted and had braided hoses it now runs perfectly and is worth £2100
It sailed through its M.O.T.

Owned for 6 months.
http://www.400greybike.co.uk

Steve Powell
Reviewed October 2002.

Performance Reliability

I have had an NC24 for 6 years and done over 160,000Km on it. The regulator has gone a couple of times but other than that very little has gone wrong. I've chainged the oil every 5,000Km and given it 2 mins of riding to warm up before readlining it and it still burns no oil.
I've also had an NC30 for 3 years and ridden from India to England on it. The handeling is far better, so are the brakes but it won't pull to the rev limiter in top like my NC24 does - such a shame.

Owned for 5 years.

Kelsoe
Reviewed September 2002.

Performance Reliability

I have had my nc24 for over two years now and had no trouble with it till about a month ago when the fork seals went out. It also is in need of an engine rebuild but I cant find anyone that knows how to do it. If anyone knows of someone in California USA that can do it please let me know. Otherwise I love this bike it is a blast to ride.

Owned for 2 years.

Adverts Currently On Preloved

LADIES 'MISS SELFRIDGE...

1920S FOLDING TYPEWRITER -...

BUTTON BACK ARMCHAIR

VW BRAKE LININGS AND...

2005 AMMANN AV95N

PAINTING ON CANVAS

KC REG SMOOTH COAT...

MARSH DAISY COCKEREL

Place an ad here for free

» More second hand ads...

TerryW
Reviewed September 2002.

Performance Reliability

I have an '86 NC21 VFR400K (no fairing) and it's the most fun bike I've ever owned. Everything I'd read about handling, torque etc. is true, and, although I've only had it a few months it's run like a swiss watch. Recommended!!!

Owned for 3 months.

Tws750
Reviewed September 2002.

Performance Reliability

i bought my wife an NC30 2 weeks ago and i've ridden it more than she has.What a blast these little bikes are.Handling is just superb,has enough power to upset bigger bikes,like the CBR600 last night(hee hee) and the V4 roar through a scorpion end can is just so infectious.I haven't had so much fun on a bike for a long time and without hitting 3figure speeds!
The lower gears,especially first,are a bit high but it has enough torque to pull cleanly and quickly to suprise bigger machines.
I've read rave reviews about riding these bikes most of which seem true now i've ridden one for a while.Great fun,huge grin inducing fun.There's nothing like blitzing flash harry on a gixer/blade/Rwateva on something half the size,and laughing uncontrollably afterwards.No doubt its not quite running right or something.Face it-you just got trashed by a baby bike.HA HA.
It does what you want,when you want,sounds fantastic and still looks the part.Mine,sorry,my wifes' is immaculate.Absolutely spotless and ten years old.More than impressed.
Buy one.You wont be disappointed.If you cant,or you fancy something else-get a ride on one somewhere,cos there aren't many bikes around like these.Its worth the experience.
Unfortunately for me, i'm back to the YZF cos she wants it back.doh!

Owned for 1 month.

markj
Reviewed August 2002.

Performance Reliability

owned two cracking bikes both vfr400s strange my first one the nc21 seems to blow away nc24 but the nc24 seems to have a bit of slippage in the higher gears but there nice bikes anyone with any ideas on how to get shut of the slippage please e-mail me with any ideas

Owned for 2 years.

Madgreekman
Reviewed July 2002.

Performance Reliability

I have nc24 for a couple of years and I am very satisfied with this machine.I have tested (yeah , provoke is the best word) with other 400's and i found that inspite its almost 14 years old it is still a racing gun.The only bike that has overcame me is a nc30 and maybe cbr400rr '99 and thats because my valves had to be adjusted .
Now I am looking to tune it up although it is difficult to find someone to know how set it up.

Owned for 2 years.

adam
Reviewed May 2002.

Performance Reliability

i have had this bike now for about 7 months and i can say that i havent had a problem with the bike in the 7 months of the ownership (only when i first bought it and it needed a regulator/rect, because it was cooking the battery.the only modifications that i have done to this bike is put a scorpion end can on it.this makes a hell of a difference to the sound of the bike at lower revs.
the only couple of complaints i have is the front forks are too soft and when pushed really hard seem to hit the front mudgaurd!!
also there is a horrible flat spot between 6000rpm and 8000rpm.
you are very limited to the make of tyres you can have (best around is the bt39s)which as soon as you put them on you feel more in control of the bike and they are sticky!!.
i have no problems with genuine or pattern parts as i work in a bike shop.Soon i want to improve the power and handling of the bike so if anyone has any suggestions on how to improve it,i would like to hear from you!.
also if anyone knows where they can get a full performance exhaust system from i would love to know.
The only tips i can give you on getting a minter is to look carfully around the headstock/radiator area to make sure it hasnt been in a front end smash.also if it has a aftermarket paint job ask the owner why it has been done or if he has any information on the paint job,as this is a giveaway that the bike has been down the road.

Owned for 6 months.

VFR400rh
Reviewed November 2001.

Performance Reliability

Owning a tuned(well,Dynojetted and
Race-canned) NC24 is a Blast!!
Absolutely top machine,sadly
overshadowed by it's sexier
sister,the NC30..Derestricted jap
Import, putting out a respectable
138mph on standard sprockets. Get
her above 9 grand and watch the
revs shoot up like an exocet
missile..Awesome.
problems? None bar the legendary
dodgy rectifier/regulator..once
swapped for an aftermarket
version,you'll be hard pushed to
find problems. Keep it
serviced,with decent
oils,etc,apply sprinklings of
tender loving care,and the bike
will return the compliment with
countless miles of pure F U N ..

Owned for 1 year.

Gareth
Reviewed August 2001.

Performance Reliability

I have owned my NC24 for a year now, and it hasn't had an easy life! its been crashed twice,ridden through a winter,taken to the redline more times than i can remember,and i can vouch for its reliability! handling is exellent, considering it's seen as one of the less sporty 400's,and can be hustled down twisty back roads at a pace that can surprise riders on bigger bikes,although the 16" front and 18" rear wheels responsable for the quick steering and flickability can make finding sticky rubber difficult.
Comfort is also something i rate,with the fairly high bars taking less weight on the wrists than the later NC30.
Parts availability is a problem area, as the NC24 was a Japanese market only bike,and there are few in breakers.
Problem areas to look for are: the exhaust down pipes are prone to rotting where they meet the collecter.-tricky to replace as well,as you have to drop out the engine to remove them! the regulator/rectifier can burn out-although it uses the same part as an early CBR600, which is nice!
One definate strong point is the engine,which is very reliable,and has superb drive for a small capacity motor, and being a v4,sounds stunning when its really ridden hard,especialy with an aftermarket can.
They are cheap to buy too,considering you can pick up an imaculate 1987 bike for £1400, the insurance is very resonable, and the only down side is the cost of maintaining it if it has been poorly lookied after.If you can find a clean example then they make a good buy- it is worth shopping around,and dont buy the first one you see.
Feel free to e-mail me with any related questions.

Owned for 1 year.

Preloved Visitor
Reviewed June 2003.

Performance Reliability
- -
- -

Amigos

Do you know if the rectifier of the CBR600 97 or more fits on the CBR600 93?? i am fed up with the "original", it blowns every [Log in to view email]

-
Never owned

Preloved Visitor
Reviewed January 2003.

Performance Reliability

i got a little black and silver nc30 from my man for my 25th birthday and haven't looked back. she is my first bike and looks absolutely trick, despite going into her 9th year! easy to ride, she has given me much (much needed!) confidence.
Parts are hard to come by, cos i live in south africa, but on the bright side, we have all year round riding weather so i get to nail it every weekend. the bike is still pretty standard except for the paint job, but 2003 will see her kitted out with a new can, jet modification and a dynotune. then i'm going out to play with the big boys!!

Owned for 2 years.

Preloved Visitor
Reviewed January 2003.

Performance Reliability

wow!!!!!!!!!1

Owned for 1 year.

Showing reviews 1 to 20 of 27.

Important Note

All ratings and reviews are submitted by visitors to this web site, and represent their own personal opinion. They do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Preloved.

You use this information at your own risk. Preloved can not be held responsible for any damages or loss resulting from the use of this site. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more details.