Suzuki RF900R

Overall Ratings

Overall

Based upon average ratings provided by 24 members - add your own review

Daytrp
Reviewed March 2014.

Performance Reliability
Parts Availability Overall Value for Money

A classic rocket ship the Suzuki RF900R.

I can't say enough good things about this bike- It is one of the unsung heroes of the early superbikes. It was only produced from 1994 to 1997 when it was replaced by the very successful Hayabusa lineup. It never really had the chance to build a big reputation. As far as looks, some loved it some hated it. I personally loved it. It is long, sleek, and looks like it is moving even when its standing still.

Officially it is a sport touring bike. It has a very comfortable seat for both rider and passenger, with a slightly more upright (and really quite comfortable) riding position than sport bikes like the GSX-R. Wind has never been an issue, even up into the triple digit speeds. They produced about 140 horsepower from a liquid cooled, Inline 4 cyl 933cc motor coupled with a 5 speed transmission. It has 4 downdraft carburetors and a manual choke and a dry weight of around 450lbs (205kg). I got around 35-40 miles per gallon with mine.

It had a published stock top speed of around 170 mph (273 kmh). I have talked to other RF riders who claim faster. What i can personally say is that I had a ton of bike left when I rolled off the throttle at 145mph. I never saw the need to go any faster. For cruising on the highway it is super comfortable at 75-115mph with effortless acceleration, steering and breaking. From a standstill it can get to 110mph in a hurry, and has enough torque to easily pop the front wheel up off the ground. It could hang with my wife's triumph '07 sprint 1050, though she could beat me off the line.

It corners very well, and has the foot-peg clearance to really lay down during cornering. If you are a knee dragger you will not be disappointed. It leans from left to right as if it were weightless and eats hairpin turns for lunch.

I bought my 1994 RF900 used in 2000 and never saw the need to get another bike. it has been a pleasure to own and ride. It is simply so so so much fun. They are quite rare around where I live, and they are a conversation piece at bike gatherings.

Handling, power, reliability, comfortable
Wait time on parts
Reviewing a 1994 model.
RF900R
Owned for more than 5 years.

Daytrp
Reviewed March 2014.

Performance Reliability

A classic rocket ship the Suzuki RF900R.

I can't say enough good things about this bike- It is one of the unsung heroes of the early superbikes. It was only produced from 1994 to 1997 when it was replaced by the very successful Hayabusa lineup. It never really had the chance to build a big reputation. As far as looks, some loved it some hated it. I personally loved it. It is long, sleek, and looks like it is moving even when its standing still.

Officially it is a sport touring bike. It has a very comfortable seat for both rider and passenger, with a slightly more upright (and really quite comfortable) riding position than sport bikes like the GSX-R. Wind has never been an issue, even up into the triple digit speeds. They produced about 140 horsepower from a liquid cooled, Inline 4 cyl 933cc motor coupled with a 5 speed transmission. It has 4 downdraft carburators and a manual choke and a dry weight of around 450lbs (205kg). I got around 35-40 miles per gallon with mine.

It had a published stock top speed of around 170 mph (273 kmh). I have talked to other RF riders who claim faster. What i can personally say is that I had a ton of bike left when I rolled off the throttle at 145mph. I never saw the need to go any faster. For cruzing on the highway it is super comfortable at 75-115mph with effortless acceleration, steering and breaking. From a standstill it can get to 110mph in a hurry, and has enough torque to easily pop the front wheel up off the ground. It could hang with my wife's triumph '07 sprint 1050, though she could beat me off the line.

It corners very well, and has the foot-peg clearance to really lay down during cornering. If you are a knee dragger you will not be disappointed. It leans from left to right as if it were weightless and eats hairpin turns for lunch.

I bought my 1994 RF900 used in 2000 and never saw the need to get another bike. it has been a pleasure to own and ride. They are quite rare around where I live, and they are a conversation piece at bike gatherings. With elegant lines and sportbike roots, This motorcycle is one badass piece of cycling history.

Handling, power, reliability, looks
Some parts take a week or two to acquire.
Reviewing a 1994 model.
RF900R

RED BOB
Reviewed June 2013.

Performance Reliability

a friend of mine offered me one of these beauty's,i wasnt sure as she had been left for two years gathering moss and seagull mess.for £600 i thought what the hell,got her home and despite a new battery she wouldn't fire up ;so turned her over to a friend with magic mechanic hands.he came back later holding in his hand something "time team" would have been proud of,"think these are spark plugs he said and the petrol is more like white spirit!! new plugs and petrol and she burst into life ;well after 25yrs away from the motorcycle life this baby came as errr shock ! my last bike was an dohc 750 triple yamaha . i took it easy for a few miles then let her rip on a very straight road ,i felt like roger rabbit on that fairground ride with mouth and eyes being forced ever wider ;what a rush ,totally agree with all the other comments about reliability etc if i were to nit pick i would say that first gear is a bit low as one post has intimated so in thick traffic shes a little bit of a handful but what the hell small price to pay for this package.

reliabilty,predictable,steady and solid platform
shes a big bike length wise and a little touchy in heavy traffic.
Reviewing a 1998 model.
black and red
Owned for 3 months.

mick b
Reviewed October 2012.

[enlarge]

Performance Reliability

Had my RF900R for over 12 years now, what a fatastic bike. Never missed a beat even on my many trips to WSB in Assen Holland. Some people say it looks strange and bulky but they obviously haven't rode one. Comfortable to ride and has the power when needed. Starts first time everytime even when parked up for winter period. I had many bikes before this but since buying it back in the late 90's ive never wanted anything else.

Everything about it.
Nothing
Reviewing a 1996 model.
RF900R

Daktoe
Reviewed April 2010.

[enlarge]

Performance Reliability

Very Nice and fast bike, easy to handle.
I put a ABM steeringplate on it with a LSL superbike handlebar, and its even more easy to handle now.You can drive it in the city whitout problems, and on the open road its a devil in disquise.
I just love it.

Fast and furiuos for its age
none at the moment.
Reviewing a 1997 model.
nice paintjob from the factory
Owned for 1 year.

Daktoe
Reviewed April 2010.

[enlarge]

Performance Reliability

Nice bike to drive, i'am 1.90 meter high and i'am sitting relaxed on the bike, i have change the steering plate with a ABM plate and put a superbike handlebar on it. And now its even more easy to handle the bike.

A devil in disquise,
at the moment none
Reviewing a 1997 model.
Owned for 1 year.

Yesugi
Reviewed March 2009.

[enlarge]

Performance Reliability

Have owned one '96 (T) model for three years; just bought a second. My 41st and 44th bikes, respectively.

There is simply nothing better for covering long distances, fast and even economically. I've made the rear sprocket smaller by one tooth (42 now), which makes this mellow rocketship even more-so; and at my weight (170 lbs, with gear), it still pulls from a stop, at idle, and smoothly accelerates from 2000rpm in top gear.

Smooth, quiet, and remarkably fast (especially in a high-speed roll-on, starting anywhere above 100mph), this sweetheart eats miles like a fat kid eats Jell-O -- huge gobs at a time.

Though I've raced in the past, I don't play-race this one; it's simply much too fast to approach its limits responsibly on the street. Tires have included Metzelers, Conti Road Attacks (loved 'em), and now Michelin Road Pilot 2, but I haven't tried the latest ones yet.

Other mods: Corbin saddle, Heli-Bars, twin automotive horns, double cigarette lighter receptacle (for GPS and cell phone); Moto-Pak bags (tank, rear, and saddle), Yoshi exhaust; K&N air, lots of safety wire; EBC HH brake pads; custom paint.

I see that some other listers complain a bit about the lack of performance options for this bike. Friend, if you truly can outride it, you should be on the track, full-time.

Power, reliability, comfort, smoothness, fuel mileage
It's a little heavy -- but it's a 900, after all.
Reviewing a 1996 model.
Two: one is totally stock purple/yellow; other as-described and -pictured
Owned for 3 years.

waynedl
Reviewed July 2007.

[enlarge]

Performance Reliability

Goes like stink, is virtually indistructable and can be bought for a song.
What else could it be, but the Suzuki RF900.

I've seen people give it a 3 for parts availability though, I've given it a 1, you can get any part to replace a broken one, but there's no tuning / custom parts available for it.

Power, strength
Lack of customisation.
Reviewing a 1995 model.
Owned for 2 years.

Ralph
Reviewed January 2006.

Performance Reliability

I bought a 1994 RF900RR about three months ago. It has the 1995 Lucky Strike paint scheme and an oval Scorpion race can. A friend of a friend had to sell it quickly and at £1000 I couldn't say no could I ? It's got 33k miles on it and sounds sweet and smooth when warmed up. The previous owner warned me not to kill myself on it as " it's savage " ! He's not wrong ! Once I got used to it though I found it smooth in town traffic and out in the sticks goes like a warhead. It feels controlled and stable, smooth through the twisties and simply glides you to your destination. I have had a sticking choke cable problem ( common fault ) and battery drain issues with its new Laserline immobiliser. Optimiser sorted this out. Screens, huggers and other toys are easily available ( Skidmarx & Powerbronze ) at a reasonable price. Oberon also do nice shiney things ! Overall what else can do what this bike does at anywhere near this money ??? I real hidden gem for those who know.

Owned for 3 months.

Ogri900
Reviewed April 2003.

Performance Reliability

I've had several bikes over the years, from Powervalves, a Z400, ZXR400 & ZXR750. I had a year off while buying a house and the wife and I decided we couldn't handle another year without a bike. We set off in search of initially a ZZR600 (lots of power for little cash). We popped into a local shop and questioned the owners on the ZZR600. They said they hadn't got one, but it would not be right for the two of us on long journeys. They showed me this glorious red beast of a bike. The RF900R. A '94 model with FSH, road legal Micron, and 30k on the clock for £2,200.00 (March 2002). I could not believe that I could get a bike like this for so little cash. The wife fell instantly in love with it. I was hesitant at first because of the slating the bike got in the press. I am glad they did because that is the whole reason the bike was affordable. The test ride blew me away. Aggressive, but controllable (unlike the ZXR750). Initially not too comfy but an easy one to solve. RIDE magazine that month ran an article and included the RF for review and recommended it as a value for money rocket ship. They were not wrong.
I got it home, fitted a scottoiler (definately recommended) and a Corbin Seat (comfort sorted). I have since treasured it and covered around 10k miles loving every minute of it.
We took it to Ireland for a week (from East Anglia), and covered around 1500 miles in 4 days. Superb handling, comfort, wickedly powerful and damn good looking to boot. In my view, the best bike I've ever owned. Would I buy another one- OH YES!!!!

Owned for 1 year.

Adverts Currently On Preloved

Place an ad here for free

» More second hand ads...

N-i-c-k
Reviewed October 2001.

Performance Reliability

So there i was ... on my way to
the Bike shop ....Very excited as
i was too test ride too
bikes ...CBR900RR Blade and a
Suzuki RF900R ... Well as the RF
was a grey import into South
Africa it still had the Japanesse
Registration plates on ...i dont
care ... now too take advantage ..

Flipped my leg over the seat ..
ComFy was the First thought ..
just comming off the blade , this
really felt good . flipped the
Kill switch to on and his the
started ...Vr0000m she started 1st
time ... well 1st time in about 2
months since she came straight off
the showroom floor . I noticed how
the Fuel light was on ... so i was
abit dissapointed ..NO long Runs :
( ergh oh well , took her down the
road .. and the motor suddenly
just died on me .. hit the starter
and it seemed like i was out of
fuel ... thank God it had a
Reserve ..hehe it started ... Yay!
i let her idle for like 3 mins and
i hit the road AGAIN ... taking it
slow at first till i got to the
traffic light and noticed the road
was clear infront of me ....
lights went green .. Cranked her
wide open ... Wow She has
performance ... for a sports
tourer Not bad not bad at all ,
took her too limiter in 1st
gear ... 115 kph ( 71 mph) when i
shifted to 3rd i glanced down at
the speedo and saw i was doing
185kph (115mph) all this in a
60kph zone (40mph) luckily no
traffic cops .. took her through
sum nice twisties and she
remained very stable .. i just
kept thinking , now this is a bike
i can push hard and not be scared
of flipping it or putting it
down , very different to the
blade , i returned the bike to the
motorcylce company with a smile ..
as they recieved it with a
smile ..... all n all i had a
great day ...

Never owned

Preloved Visitor
Reviewed February 2004.

Performance Reliability

it´s the bedst bike you can get for money :)

Owned for 2 years.

Preloved Visitor
Reviewed December 2003.

Performance Reliability

handles well keeps with much newer models looks good (i think so) mine is a 96 model mint condition for less than 2 grand 22000 miles on clock does everything you need it to do.fitted diff size tyres helps to corner quicker

Owned for 6 months.

Preloved Visitor
Reviewed March 2003.

Performance Reliability

Excellent all-around bike. Quite comfortable for moderately long trips, and a true thrill in the twisties! Overall value for the money is excellent if you buy on the used market because this is truly an underated motorcycle. Accessories can be difficult to find, but if you use the web you'll find almost anything you need. Suzuki relieability and fit/finish are on par with honda in my opinion. Fairing protection is adequate, and wind nois is minimal (but try the Lockhart Philips sport touring screen.) I defnately love mine! Buy it if you want an extremely competent bike that you don't see on every corner.

Owned for 1 year.

Preloved Visitor
Reviewed September 2002.

Performance Reliability

Had mine from new. Comuted 197 miles each way through a summer and winter. Toured France,Spain, two up loads of kit. Has never missed a beat. Few extras available but never a problem with spares.
BEST BITS.
Take the throwover bags off, You have got a reasonable handling and very fast sports bike.
Taking sponsored pillions on the back for charity, 150mph through a radar trap,using 4th gear,about 165mph showing on clock.
I have still got it, longest I have ever owned a bike and two Hondas have been and gone during the 7 years I have had it.

Preloved Visitor
Reviewed September 2002.

Performance Reliability

extremely competant machine but the difficulty in finding spares or accessories is frustrating.

Owned for 4 years.

Preloved Visitor
Reviewed September 2002.

Performance Reliability

well i had a 1996 rf900r, and this was my first bike. the bike road smooth and handeled well. if you wanted power, it would deliver!! there has been alot of questions about the top speed, well i have seen this bike around 185 mph, i have heard alot of people say their bike would only reach 166mph, so maybe they need to change their exhaust and maybe install a jet kit. it helped mine!!!

Owned for 1 year.

Important Note

All ratings and reviews are submitted by visitors to this web site, and represent their own personal opinion. They do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Preloved.

You use this information at your own risk. Preloved can not be held responsible for any damages or loss resulting from the use of this site. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more details.