Albin Ballad Review

Overall Ratings

Overall

Based upon average ratings provided by 17 members - add your own review

mendonca
Reviewed February 2007.

Performance Safety
Accomodation Overall Value for Money

I am leaving in Azores Islands, in Terceira and i bought this Albin Ballad Bep-BopII two years ago, it is a excellent boat, i had to do some work(interior) on it, and at the moment i don't have a engine (inboard) i am using a outboard, it works good but i need to put a inboard.
at this moment what i really need is a main sail, mine is very very old, i my money is not mutch, if someone have one main sail second or third Hand to sell please tell me.

Owned for 2 years.

adelas
Reviewed May 2006.

Performance Safety
- -
- -

"Be Bop", was my 12th sailship. Albin Ballad. I bought her 1n 1980. I was living in Toulon, on the french mediterranean shore and, during 18 years I used to sail every week to Porquerolles and, during summer, to Corsica, Sardinia, Mallorca, with my family.
She was a wonderful ship. Good in all weather conditions, and, you know, in winter along mediterran shore, wind can climb suddenly up to 50 knots. Year after year, I was more and more confident until the day I changed the genoa for a (how do you say) a rolling genoa(?). She lost half of her qualities and as, I had to leave France, Il sold her, after 18 years.
Ten years after, I'am still in love.

I remember a sailing back from Porquerolles to Toulon (15 NM)on 1st of january after a good midnight supper, when french weather broadcast was in strike. The northwestwind (mistral) turned to north up to 71 knots (I kept the local newspaper treating of this event). We started with 35 knots, which is usual in winter, up to the wind, at nine, under genoa 4 and 2 in the mainsail (I dont' remember the english translation for french "ris") and at 5 pm, 9 hours and 15 miles later, we reached Toulon, under tempest jib, no main sail, and volvo power. Twice we were quite horizontal (excuse my poor english). We could'nt see almost anything as the air was mixed with water.
Never we were in angusty, as "Be-bop" was very brave. Magnificent behaviour.

So, if you are thinking to buy a "Ballad" do it without any doubt but, do sail with traditionnal sails: genoa 1-2-3-4 and tempest jib and 3 diminutions in the main sail. You'll be happy and more and more confident. Marvellous ship.

-
Owned for more than 5 years.

stewart
Reviewed November 2005.

Performance Safety

I have owned my Albin Ballad LONG JOHN 111 for 16yrs and during that time have sailed it around the Clyde and West Coast of Scotland.with my wife,and singlehanded,we have always felt confident and safe under all weather conditions.She carries full Genoa and main comfortably up to winds of 18 knots.I have often thought of a more modern boat but for one as seaworthy the cost in price would be to great,"I just can't part with my Ballad".It has the origional engine a Volvo MD6A.Over the years I have renewed the sails,standing and running rigging,upholstery,hood and dodgers.and can't wait to sail again next season.
Stewart Urquhart

Jesper_Milling
Reviewed March 2004.

Performance Safety

I posted previously promoting my Albin Ballad group on MSN, but wasn't carefull enough when I inserted the address. MSN groups dont have a http://www The correct address is: groups.msn.com/albin-ballad . I am really sory to have wasted your time, and I hope you are willing to risk wasting it again. And help me get the group going, it doesn't have a lot of activity yet, and we are only 19 members so far, (including my own double membership and my girlfriend). Hope to se you in the group.

Owned for 1 year.
http://groups.msn.com/albin....allad

dg
Reviewed March 2004.

Performance Safety

I have owned Ballad #99 for 20 years. It is a superbly designed and built seaworthy boat, second to none. This is a pretty little ship that inspires confidence when others are struggling. A few observations about previous questions: The interior is a little small compared to a "modern" 30 footer, but this is offset by the fact that there is tremendous built in storage and a dedicated Nav station. I still use the original Origo alcohol stove. I like the safety of a non-pressurized alcohol stove that does not need priming. The sailing feel of the Ballad is excelent although it has a "heavy" feel to the helm when the winds kicks up. This is due to the non-balanced rudder design. The boat performs well in winds of 12 knots or more. I sail on Lake Erie where the average wind speed in summer is 6-7 knots. The standard rig is underpowered in this wind range,even with a 170% jib. The fix is simple; put a 12 foot long boom on the boat. The bigger main really makes the boat move in light air. Instead of raking the mast back, mine is now bolt upright and the helm is the same as before. I've been sailing and racing the boat this way for 8 years and will never change back to the old rig. The original main was designed with very high aspect ratio for IOR rating purposes only(long foot dimension was penalized). If you have any questions, contact me at [Log in to view email]

fair winds,
Dieter

Wilger
Reviewed February 2004.

Performance Safety

Hi
Have owned our Ballad for 6 years. We love sailing this boat. Find her to be safe in heavy winds.Would also be interested English site. Tried to get to the one listed but not able to. We sail in the south end of lake Huron from Sarnia Ont.Canada. I know of two other Ballads in this area also.They are in lake Erie area. Would injoy hear from other owners as well.

Cheers Wilger [Log in to view email]

Jesper_Milling
Reviewed February 2004.

Performance Safety

I love my ALbin Ballad for the same reasons everybody else mentioned. I would like to convert to wheel steering though. For sharing information in the english language pleas try The International Albin Ballad Information Service which I just created. It's brand new and doesn't have a lot of info yet, but its the only one in the english language as far as I know. Please use it, if you need it. FInd it at http://www.groups.msn,com/albin-ballad

Kind regards Jesper Milling

Owned for 1 year.
http://www.groups.msn.com/albin....allad

marcel
Reviewed March 2003.

Performance Safety

I bought de Ballad no 806 last year, and had a saling trip for 3 weeks on the lakes in Holland. And the Ballad is a very good value for money. My last boat was an open sailing boat. And i'm experiented to sail for 10 years now. The Ballad is a very stable yacht which has the capabillity to go on the big waters. Marcel

Owned for 1 year.
http://www.balladclubnederland.nl

Frenz
Reviewed February 2003.

Performance Safety

I own my Albin Ballad for 7 years now. It's an save familyboat as it's very stable thanks to it's design and to the 47% ballast ratio (mostly lead). It is amazing how quick it is compared to a lot of similar sized boats and even quite a few bigger ones. I bought some new sails recently, which made her even quite a remarkable bit quicker.It's easy to sail it single handed. An Autohelm (or similar device) is of course very helpfull in those situations. It can be a simple one, as the Ballad is very light on the helm, when trimmed correctly.

Alun
Reviewed January 2003.

Performance Safety

Looks like I am the second Alun to wn a Ballad! Have only just purchased mine and I am pleased to say I am very pleased with the boat. Having previously owned trailor sail boats this was a big step going to a keeler. I live in Jakarta and I was looking for a boat that I could comfortably cruise the 1000 island group in. The Ballad fits the bill. Very stable and well appointed for a boat in its price range.Recommend this boat to anyone.

Owned for 3 months.

Adverts Currently On Preloved

Place an ad here for free

» More second hand ads...

Robert
Reviewed November 2002.

Performance Safety

Owned a Folkboat for 20 years before the Ballad so regard this yacht as very spacious. The Ballad is well built,sails well and easily single handed.The five berth layout is comfortable with well thought out storage.The cockpit is large and great for social gatherings.The Ballad has an attractive shape and in common with the Folkboat recieves many compliments.

Owned for 3 years.

Barry
Reviewed July 2002.

Performance Safety

As a previous reviewer has said (Alun 28/01/2002) an excellent sailing yacht, fast on all points, very close winded. Although early examples are 6 berth, 2 in the forecabin with two setees in
the saloon, together with two pilot berths outboard of the
setees, there are a lot of 5 berths examples without the pilot berths but with a quarter berth. In place of the pilot berths are lots of attractive storage space. these ar much better for cruising. Typical IOR rules rig, large headsail and small main. My prefernce is for slab reefing, also the one design rules now allow furling headsails like Furlex, etc.
As a correction to an earlier report owners association is not based in Fowey (Cornwall) but most of the UK Ballad Association's officers base their boats mainly in Fowey and Plymouth with some from Falmouth with the national championships in May/June usually taking place in either Plymouth, Falmouth and Fowey. Many other Ballad owners throughout the UK.
Generally Scandinavia is a good source if a UK example is not up to scratch. I sailed mine back from Denmark. Generally the good ones never come on the market in the UK. Their owners recognise a good boat! So if you want one look hard and long. Its worth [Log in to view email]

Owned for 2 years.
http://hem.spray.se/balla....d.dk/

alun
Reviewed January 2002.

Performance Safety

Excellent sailing yacht, fast on
all points, very close winded. The
accomodation is typical 1970's,
forward vee berth, two setees in
the saloon, together with two
pilot berths outboard of the
setees, these will usually have
been converted to storage. Typical
IOR rules rig, large headsail and
small main. The original main had
roller reefing on the boom, my
boat was changed to slab reefing.
Well built, a bit wet, but ok with
sprayhood. There is a good owners
association, based in Fowey in the
UK.

Owned for 3 years.

Preloved Visitor
Reviewed February 2004.

Performance Safety
- -
- -

Hi l'm getting an albin Ballad but I'm being told to alter the gas installation by the surveyor & insurance. ie put the bottle in a gas box sealed with a drain running out above the waterline any suggestions?

-
Never owned

Preloved Visitor
Reviewed June 2003.

Performance Safety

I have owned my Ballad for 2 years. Have taken her out in some exciting conditions and found that she performs nicely. Great for single handed, just too much fun all around. I am located in the US, east coast, and have found Ballad owners to be far and few. Would like to share info with an owners assoc.. If anyone as any info on one please post.
Thanks, have fun.

Never owned

Preloved Visitor
Reviewed October 2002.

Performance Safety

I have owned a Ballad for 10 years, sailing mainly Channel, Solent and west country. Classic IoR design, great to windward, but sluggish under spinnaker compared to lighter modern boats. Perfect single-hander, solid, safe and reliable. I keep meaning to trade up to something bigger, but I can't find anything as good.

Preloved Visitor
Reviewed June 2002.

Performance Safety

Fast but a bit small in accomodation

Important Note

All ratings and reviews are submitted by visitors to this web site, and represent their own personal opinion. They do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Preloved.

You use this information at your own risk. Preloved can not be held responsible for any damages or loss resulting from the use of this site. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more details.