Overall Ratings

Overall

Based upon average ratings provided by 14 members - add your own review

Showing reviews 1 to 14 of 14.

c8 rubbish
Reviewed July 2010.

Performance Reliability
Parts Availability Overall Value for Money

The most awful car ever. Bought it from a second hand dealer who had just had the airbag light rectified. Aftr 2 weeks it was back on again. Reverse sensors didn't work. The foam in the drivers seat was disintegrating. Had Anti Pollution warnings.
Luckily after driving it for 4 weeks the timing belt snapped and we were able to get our money back from the dealer minus a years tax. Learnt the lesson of my life, buy Japanese or Volvo.

great seat design
It doesn't work
Reviewing a 2004 model.
2.0 hdi
Owned for 3 months.

pam
Reviewed December 2008.

Performance Reliability

Very good runner new tryes and new MoT

very economical
Reviewing a 2004 model.
Owned for 1 year.

shirley
Reviewed November 2008.

Performance Reliability
- -
- -

After ELEVEN weeks, we at last had our C8 returned in working order, shhhh, don't want to jinx it. All seems ok.

The local garage, Gerald White's were very good and Citroen UK stepped in, keeping in touch and overseeing things, of which there were many trial and errors. I must say they were also very fair on the pricing, knocking many hours labour off the invoice. The actual fault should have taken approx. 2 hours to fix which is what they eventually settled for, plus lots of parts. Very inconvenient not having the car but at least the bill was not too terrifying. Whether we will ever trust it is another matter, but I must say as a tow car (for a large twin axle caravan) when it works it cannot be bettered. We have looked and with things the way they are have decided to stick with it, so fingers crossed it will keep working.

If you currently own a C8 with problems, contact Brian Cheyne, Citroen UK. Regional Support Centre, and kick up a stink, he may just help!!!! Good Luck, you will need it.

Excellent family tow car
Far too unreliable
-
Reviewing a 2004 model.
Owned for 2 years.

shirley
Reviewed October 2008.

Performance Reliability

Following on from previous entry, STILL NO CAR. Citroen UK have replied to an email but not much help in sorting the problem. Local garage tearing their hair out to try and repair it, but do not know where to start. After 6 weeks and new this and that and hours of work still in "limp mode"

USELESS

NONE
LOADS
Never owned

shirley
Reviewed September 2008.

Performance Reliability

The Citroen C8 is the most unreliable, expensive car imaginable. Biggest mistake we have ever made. Citroen repairers do not have a clue how to repair faults...all engine management, all baffle the mechanics. Citroen do not care at all about the rubbish they are manufacturing. At the moment it sits in a garage, everyday they call and say we think we MAY have the answer, it will cost another £700, Oh and it might not actually correct the fault. This is now into it's fourth week.

We have a large caravan so need reliability, may I suggest if you need to tow, DO NOT BUY A CITROEN. That is unless you like to travel home on the back of a trailer. If you do buy one take out a good warranty and VERY good recovery service. If you are religous start praying, if not pray anyway and hope someone , somewhere is listening.

What a feat, ok it looks good, and cabin wise ticks all the boxes, shame it doesn't actually work as a car rather than a nice kids den on the drive.
I don't have all day
Reviewing a 2004 model.
Owned for 2 years.

peter
Reviewed December 2007.

Performance Reliability

I bought a c8 had it for just 10 weeks this were the 2.0 hdi
nice a big inside nice to drive untill u guessed things went wrong
had new thermostat in temp went up and down new brakes fitted had 3 of the 7 seats looked at due to being faulty, fuel well we were spending £35 per week and only getting 130 miles motorway use 90% of that, had door trims inside replaced,the citron badge had fallen off ,had the boot trimings drilled to fix it to stop it rattling,brake callipers were sticking + the car had no up and go first thing in mornings the citroen garage had this car for just under 3 weeks from when i bought it to try and find the fault with engine and fuel compution citroen say no fault found must be the way i were driving it they said so after having this car for just 10 weeks i lost all faith in it i have now sold the car on to a garage who i told the car had a fault yes a citroen garage bought a total different car now from them

i bought this c8 from barbe* citroen in notrthwi** chesire
also may i also say ever time we rang the garage all i got were sorry the person is not in today well thankyou very much citroen barb** i have now wrote a letter to citroen uk over this car and the staff who are never there as long unless you want to buy there cars ,

i must point out as well the new car i bought from a citroen dealership in the northwest i got more of a personal touch when i went to collect my new car and a complete proper hand over of the new car

so i would not buy from the garage again in cheshire and would i never again buy a c8

new car running fine so far so good.

rear sliding manual doors great for the kids no catching the car next to you when they get out parents u will no what i mean
to many
Reviewing a 2003 model.
2.0 hdi lx
Owned for 3 months.

mapled
Reviewed May 2007.

Performance Reliability

I have owned my 2.0LX since August 2003 and have so far driven well over 40K miles. Not wholly trouble free but compared to other reviewers here something they can only dream of!

As my car is the LX it does without the electric doors, the sat nav, the window blinds, the electric sun roofs, the automatic transmission. So consequently none of those things have broken on my car!

What has broken though was one of the ignition coils which resulted in a warning message a brief drop in performance whilst the computer sorted itself out (a stark contrast to my Scenic which instructed me to Stop and then call the AA - a part strangely carried by the 2 different AA men I had to call within a week!). My dealer got the part in an replaced all 4 coils on a Saturday morning whilst I waited.

Other problems are very minor - the peeling 'metal' on the boot handle and a loose earthing strap are all that come to mind.

Overall I have been very pleased with the car and even more pleased I didn't go for the higher spec vehicle. It happily pulls my 6 berth caravan and my 4 children and basically does what it should.

Loads of space. Good level of equipment even in basic trim.
Citroen supplied parts are a bit pricey.
Reviewing a 2003 model.
2.0 petrol LX
Owned for 3 years.

Win
Reviewed September 2006.

Performance Reliability

We bought our C8 2 1/2 years ago. We seems to have lots of little problems ever since we took delivery of the car.
The beginning was paintwork and scratches on the new car.
Then came the doors not shutting, windows not shutting properly.
Sometimes the door/ window seems to open by itself or not opening at all when we were parked.
Engine stalled a couple of times at the beginning but the dealer cannot find the fault.
Car ratttles, fitting does not fit properly.
The latest now is the door handles need replacing, the paint is flaking, making it sharp and dangerous and the non retracting sun visor.
The sun visor did not retract and as a result when the door was opened, the visor was caught and caused a tear.
Citroen now claims that the non retracting is not under warranty as it is not possible for it to be 'not working'. I want to know how can they be sure when so many parts of the car has gone through malfunction?.
Buy another citroen.........are we just unlucky or they are all daft cars?.

Owned for 2 years.

honey
Reviewed July 2005.

Performance Reliability

I too have had a problem with Citroen Uk. They are unhelpful and do not care about private customers. I have now taken it in twice for 2 different problems in the last 2 months, and now Theoco in Edgeware have had the car for 10 days already. i have no problem with Theoco as theya re on my side. The Brake Servo and master cylinder had to be replaced, unfortunate, but neccessary, considering the car is esstentail for my job. This was agreed at a price of £700.00 and was fine, however, 3 days later, after it was put in, it was discovered that in order to fix this,the whole engine had to be taken out so they can reach the part. This was due to a design flaw when converting it to Right had drove for the UK market. I wouldn't have minded if i had got a discounted import car. but this was full price, what i thought UK built spec. So far Theoco have fought my case but still i am in stale mate as if i dont agree to pay the £2500.00 bill, they dont even start the work and i cant earn a living. if anyone has any suggestions please can i have them as I am not paying and extra £1800.00 for what I can see as a design flaw. As far as im concerened they can buy the car back from me and I will go and buy Japanese!

I will never buy a citroen again and I will never reccommend one to anyone.

Owned for 2 years.

Bob
Reviewed February 2005.

Performance Reliability

I bought a brand new Citroen C8 SX 2.0 HDI in spring 2004 for an incredible £15,750 OTR from my local dealer and have found it to be a well designed vehicle that is comfortable, quiet and extremely easy to drive for its size. The engine gives adequate performance and is perhaps not a frugal as I would like a diesel to be (ave 33 mpg) but is more refined than my last diesel (Renault Scenic). It's very well equipped and everything has worked without a problem. It has been back to the dealer once and that was because the aluminium effect coating on the tailgate handle was starting to peel. It was replaced while I waited. I've never owned a Citroen before and I was initially concerned about the poor reliability reputation that seems to have attached itself to the brand but frankly I have had no cause to regret my decision to purchase and a lot to be grateful for....maybe I've been lucky but nonetheless I would have to recommend as definitely worth a serious look if you want a big MPV.

Owned for 1 year.

Adverts Currently On Preloved

LAYING HEN

SET OF HANDMADE PICTURES/...

ORANGE MINI LOP BUCK

PEGEOUT 206 XSI

SCALEXTRIC DIGITAL...

THINKING OF HAVING HAIR...

TINY CHIHUAHUAS PUPS

DIY LIVERY STABLE OR FEILD...

Place an ad here for free

» More second hand ads...

Robert
Reviewed January 2005.

Performance Reliability

Today at last I am happy, I have sold my C8 !

From day 2 of buying this car it has been endless problems...
A brief summary should tell you all not to buy one

Automatic would not go into park day 2
Rear view mirror fell off day 3
Main headlights would not turn off - week 1
Alarm continuously would go off
Car would leave itself open
Electric doors would not open, sometimes would not close
The sun roof would not always shut
The screen wash would come out of the rear stereo speaker, which was fixed and then subsequently happened again..
The middle row middle seat could only be removed by the local garage and come to that only they could get it back in again.
Engine imobilisation faults
Air bag faults
Polution fault which subsequently meant that the engine would not exceed more than 10 miles per hour.. not great for crossing busy junctions

Overall the car spent as much time in the garage as it did being driven and strangely enough the service intervals were further apart than any other car I had... well thats because its always in the garage anyway..

Were we sold a duff car... according to the citroen garage they always have C8's in .... with similar issues

At yes, they offer a courtsey car, a C2 !!! This is not helpful when you have purposely bought an MPV because you need 6 seats.

If you don't have a C8, then don't buy one, if you do- I would sell it like I did !

Owned for 1 year.

Routledge
Reviewed December 2004.

Performance Reliability

Details of just some of the problems I have had when I wasted my money on a new C8, be very, very careful before you give any money to Citroen.

Re Citroen C8 Registration number MRU292

Dear Sir,

I am trying to get Citroen to replace my faulty C8 for a new one but so far to no avail.

Last November (2003) I purchased a new Citroen C8 (executive Captains Chair 2.0L diesel auto with extras) from the Ilkeston Co-op Motor Group in Lincoln.
This vehicle has had many faults from new and the technical competence and level of client care has been abysmal.

I drove the car home some 110 miles and the following morning went through the car to find out how every thing worked. The mirrors did not retract, the headlining was incorrectly fitted, the internal passenger mirror was missing as was the sim cardholder for the sat nav/phone system. The sunroofs did not close properly. The 3rd 12-volt electrical socket was missing.

These problems were all resolved (with the exception of the 12 volt socket) via the original dealer and my local service centre.

When I got the car back an intermittent electrical fault developed, stopping the all the instruments operating - speedometer, rev counter, temperature gauge and turning off all the instrumentation lights but lighting up the warning icons on the instrument panel and setting off an alarm.

After 3 Citroen Assist call outs and being told by Charvil’s (the local Citroen dealer) that the fault had been repaired, I was told by Citroen that I should continue to use the vehicle as it was an electrical, not a mechanical problem.

I was informed that the fault was due to the handbrake switch, then a wiring harness, then reversing sensors, then a rear control panel, then the BAI board, plus others. All these components have been replaced and apart from the alarm not being activated when the fault occurs everything is as it was over a year ago.

Charvil’s now tell me they cannot find a fault but agree that there must be one and have seen photographic evidence.

As well as this continuing fault the offside wing had to be tightened up as it had come loose. My youngest daughter was squashed and bruised by an electric door failing to stop (as it is suppose to if there are any obstructions) when she was getting in the car, this caused her great distress. Several parts of the door mechanism were replaced to rectify this.
The passenger front seat base was replaced; the complete system has been reconfigured countless time as items fail to operate including the rear doors, sunroofs and cruise control. The computer occasionally freezes. The driver’s sun visor has fallen off twice. The car has dropped into third and an automatic gearbox failure displayed – another Citroen Assist visit some 250 miles from home helping to ruin a family weekend away. The automatic windscreen wipers stopped working taking weeks to repair.

Over the first 8 months of the C8’s life it was in Citroen’s hands for 5 months and after a year I have had use of the vehicle for about 6 months.

I have had to put up with the most basic of courtesy cars, which are not suitable for business or my family and in no way can be compared to the specification of the car I bought.

I have been told a courtesy car would be available, then been called by Charvil’s to rearrange the date to suit them, turn up on the agreed date and been told no car was available.
Several times I have been told that the car was repaired and ready only to find only a minimal amount of work done – in fact I have had to leave the car for more work to be done.
Three panels were repainted due to damage whilst in Charvil’s care.
On three occasions internal trim has not been replaced properly.

On Friday5th December the car is going in to have the off side doors realigned some thing they forgot to do last Monday although I had emphasised the problem to the service receptionist.

I could carry on with much more detail and have enclosed a few photographs of faults that have happened since the BAI board was changed.
As an aside, the upgraded BAI board removed remote functions from the key fob for opening and closing windows but as the problem was not the board (as the fault still occurs) my vehicle has been down graded with no gain.

I have written to Citroen technical department and complained and was given £350.00 on account at Charvil’s as a ‘goodwill gesture’. However I have only used £128.00 of it as the car has only been due for a service once since the payment (due to not having use of it).

Two weeks ago I wrote to the supplying dealer (The Ilkestone Co-op Motor Group) and Citroen UK requesting that they change the vehicle for a similar one that worked properly or returned the money I paid. As yet I have received no answer from either party.

Last November I when I paid my £23,108.00, I fulfilled my part of the contract but have never received a fully operational or road worthy car still leaving Ilkeston Coop to fulfil theirs.

I’m sure there would be some difficult questions to answer if I was involved in an incident whilst driving a car without any working dials or gauges – it is also very difficult to judge the speed driving past speed cameras.

After 12 months I am a loss, I (we, my family and I) love the concept of the car, its looks and design are brilliant but I cannot continue with a car that continually is in for repair and even the Citroen dealer admits he can’t find the intermittent fault.

Post script

Since writing these pages Charvill’s are attempting to get Citroen Technical department to look at the vehicle as they (Citroen Technical) now think that the fault has nothing to do with all the parts they were changing but to do with fibre optical cables and after a week in which I have chased Charvill’s three times I have had no response.

In the last week the off side sun visor bracket has fallen off, the electrical fault has occurred another 6 times, the sun roofs stopped operating properly (again) and the phone would not let me disconnect an incoming call.

The car is with Charvills again today in another attempt to properly re-hang the sliding door.

Post - Post script 13.12.2004

Dealer cancelled Friday’s appointment – major electrical problem still continues. Despite many chases to Charvills Citroen technical has not offered a date to view the car and Citroen customer services have not offered to replace it.

Owned for 1 year.

Daren
Reviewed July 2004.

Performance Reliability

Had a C8 Exclusive 2.2HDi for a short while and had usual little faults but overriding fault was the lack of power from the car. Made comments to dealer who fobbed me off at least twice. Car had to go in for more problems so borrowed another C8 - this ws unbelievably powerful compared upto mine so I told dealer who agreed (at the time) so told them to take mine and sort it out. They changed their story and now will not do anything about it. Citroen UK are of no use - all smiles and hellos but with no power or willingness to do anything. This vehicle is a sham and so is Citroen UK. Saty away and buy from a reputible company

Owned for 1 year.

Stef
Reviewed April 2004.

Performance Reliability

Nice to start with (2 weeks) before all the problems started, mine a C8 Exclusive 2.2HDI have been with the dealer for 2 months + since I got it 6 months ago. All sorts of problems such as Turbo blown, Sat Nav not working properly, all sorts of electrical faults such as wipers-sliding doors-brake lights and to top it all off the car needed a total respray as it was patcy (Arctic Silver) so I finally after 2900 miles had enough and demanded either a new car in perfect condition or my money back. The car should never have left the factory as it is in such a sad state but Citroen UK do not care and do not want to discuss the issue at all so the poor dealer is lumbered with it so I'm now forced to take him to court. My advice is `STAY AWAY FROM CITROEN`.

I should have bought my first choice a Chevrolet Trans Sport but the Insurance for it put me off (import & left hand drive) or my second choice a VOLVO, at least they are sound & got a s/hand value which Citroen haven't.

Stef

Owned for 6 months.

Showing reviews 1 to 14 of 14.

Important Note

All ratings and reviews are submitted by visitors to this web site, and represent their own personal opinion. They do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Preloved.

You use this information at your own risk. Preloved can not be held responsible for any damages or loss resulting from the use of this site. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more details.