Overall Ratings

Overall

Based upon average ratings provided by 150 members - add your own review

Showing reviews 1 to 20 of 169.

Bella
Reviewed August 2013.

Performance Reliability
Parts Availability Overall Value for Money

I have been the owner of my KA for 2 years and have had no problems what so ever with it (I must be one of the lucky ones) it is a 2004 model and has got me me all over the Uk with no problems, it's nippy, cute, reliable and doesn't have the rust that people are talking about. It only has 43K on the clock. I rely heavily on my car as my work involves driving all over the country.......It's an absolute gem. I am thinking of treating myself to a new car but really don't want to let this one go as it is FANTASTIC.

Small and compact, Nippy, Reliable
During winter months the steering can feel a little heavy
Reviewing a 2004 model.
Owned for 2 years.

Live
Reviewed December 2012.

Performance Reliability

I have had my ford Ka since she was 2.5 years old and next March she is 10 years old, what a bad buy, don;t get me wrong its a quick car for inner city at 1.3 engine but the tax on her in Ireland is just outright @€358 a year from 2013. The 1st time I had her serviced for 1st NCT the Axle bearings went her, all the headlight bulbs and she cost me €600, she has been fine last 4 years but manged to still cost me with small stuff €400 and not I am told that she is rusting baldy under the car and may need work. I think I may sell her next year. Not a good buy car!

Easy Drive & handle
Expensive to run, tax fuel and insure
Never owned

Simon91
Reviewed May 2011.

[enlarge]

Performance Reliability

Well ive owned my 1.3 X-reg KA just over a year now and im sick of it! Its only done 62k and had 1 old lady as a previous owner. My latest mot cost £450. £50 for the test, £300 for the rust on the sills and £50 on new brake pads and a new handbrake hose. Bits are falling of the interior such as the plastic on the driver side pillar, the cd player fascia and the door handle cover. Ive had to have a new exhaust, the starter motor got stuck and i had to bump start it, the doors let in water and broke my speakers, going over speedbumps i get a creaking sound from my slightly corroded suspension bushes, the car sometimes stalls when i slow down on the approach to a junction or rev when i depress the clutch. If i new KA's were as unreliable as this i would never have bought one!

Nippy handling, easy parking
too many to list here
Reviewing a 2000 model.
1.3ltr
Owned for 1 year.

RLD
Reviewed February 2011.

[enlarge]

Performance Reliability

I own a 10reg Ford Ka... Its the best car i could ever have asked for. It is so easy to drive and easy to park. My dad owns a taxi company and agrees that my Ford is the best and easiest car he has driven in YEARS!!!

I would recommend the Ford Ka to anyone... especially new drivers like myself.

Easy to drive, easy to park, fun, quirky, smart, nice interior.
bit of a tight squeeze for 3 passengers (unless they are small)
Reviewing a 2010 model.
Colour - Blush
Owned for 6 months.

SqueLJ
Reviewed October 2010.

Performance Reliability

I have my 2004 reg Ford Ka for just over 18months, bought second hand. Im really beggining to regret it. My partner is currently outside tryign to fix it.

1) Clutch had died, bearing went and had to replace everything but to get at the clutch we have had to take the battery, battery rack, Gear box, Drive shaft, Suspension and air filter out..... Some of which I have no IDEA how we are going to put back on.

2) There is an inconsistent whirring noise coming from the front drivers side, cant locate the origin or cause.

3) The doors and petrol cap have rusted to bugger and im goign to have to fill it, put mesh in and re-paint.

4) The water tank is leaking and we cant find the hole.....

Dont get me wrong, i think its nice nippy little car thats quick, easy to drive, good for insurance and tax but when something goes wrong.... Its a right pain in the backside to get it sorted.

Cheap to run, tax and insure and easy to drive.
Very difficult to fix problems and too many faults.
Reviewing a 2004 model.
Owned for 2 years.

james
Reviewed August 2010.

Performance Reliability

Economical and fun to drive but prone to rust in certain areas such as round the fuel filler cap, rear wiper surround, front A pillars and sills.

There is a company advertising on ebay who sell "rust screening rings" for these very problems.

You just spray the plastic self-adhesive ring with the colour of your choice and attach it to the vehicle.

Very simple and cost effective way in which to increase both the value and appearance of your Ka.

economy, low insurance, fun to drive
rust
Owned for 3 years.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eB....LX:IT

cc girl
Reviewed February 2010.

Performance Reliability

I have had a ford ka from new it is a 2005 reg with about 10000 miles on the clock it has been well looked after but it is starting to rust round the back wiper and round the petrol cap,in my opinion they are very poor cars please dont waste your money buying one.

niceto drive
rust buckets
Reviewing a 2003 model.
Owned for 1 year.

Mindy
Reviewed February 2010.

Performance Reliability

I have owned my Ka since passing my driving test and it has been nothing but problematic, from the suspension needing replacing twice, the bodywork rusting all over the shop, severe corrosion needing welding not once but twice in the same year, drinking petrol like there is simply no tommorow, brakes failing and needing replacing, power steering failure, everything that could possibly go wrong, which on a car less than 4 years old and having done less than 20,000 miles is simply unacceptable, however definatly wouldn't put me off buying another as its so much fun to drive

Reviewing a 2006 model.
Ford Ka3 1.3i
Owned for 1 year.

Carolina
Reviewed October 2009.

Performance Reliability

I discovered rust less than 1" around back windscreen wiper and Ford refused to do anything about it as I had not had my last service done with them but elsewhere (I work in an office over the company's garage who I work). Ford quoted £350 to get it done. Went to independent garage (not my companys as they do not do bodywork) and they say its due to the wiper being too close to the rubber seal which has rubbed it away which has let water in - hence the rust. I applied to Ford again even asking for a contribution but they were adamant no - even though the car was less than 2 years old and their warranty for paint work is 6 years. Got it done for £100 myself in the end. My complaint was wherever I had had it serviced the wiper was faulty and was not fit for purpose. Perhaps they might be a different if it was of one of their top range model cars. 3rd Ford car this century - will I buy another one, no on principle. But saying that I like the KA.

Good little mover
Rust
Owned for 2 years.

Gem
Reviewed August 2008.

Performance Reliability

well i love the look of my car... but since buying 2 months ago i need a new exhaust, cat convertor, clutch, drop links, the driver door lock is on its way out.... any1 think i have been ripped off!! thats what u get for bein a girl in a car garage, shoping!!

it looks like a ladybird!!
erm where do i start!
Reviewing a 1997 model.
Owned for 3 months.

Adverts Currently On Preloved

JOB LOT

DINKY TOYS 582 PULLMORE...

BUNCH OF PHONES

FREE TO GOOD HOME MOTHERS...

PUGS (APRICOT)

BLACK OTTER AND BLACK 11...

BABY RABBITS FOR SALE!!

DARK INDIAN GAME PULLETS

Place an ad here for free

» More second hand ads...

Morgan85
Reviewed June 2008.

[enlarge]

Performance Reliability

I've had my KA for 5 years and it has been a lovely car! the odd strut top has gone over time but it is so cheap to repair! It's a lot of fun, very "nippy" and negotiates the roads well. I've also had a few motorway journeys and it has been suprisingly comfortable! I love it.

Very girly (lovely interior), great vision and road handling. Cheap tax, insurance and fuel!
Reviewing a 2003 model.
KA Collection
Owned for 5 years.

t_bar
Reviewed October 2007.

Performance Reliability

My wife has had hers for 4 years now and it is really brilliant. Smart looking, practical, trouble free and economical.

One problem, I saw a post here wher someone mentioned that she had an 'I Love My Ka' tax disc holder. Does anyone know wher to buy one ?

Almost everyting.
Could do with a bit more power.
Never owned

Mr D
Reviewed June 2007.

Performance Reliability

Changing headlamp bulbs a nightmare of a job who ever designed the space in the engine area should try working in it they would soon change the design.
Don't find the dealers very helpful when you have known problems to Ford they don,t seem interested in fixing things at a fair price or even admitting that the company knows of problems that are a hazard to road saftey and the occupents of the car such as 'the engine just dying at junctions' this fault is well documented on the web i took the car to the dealer who said they have repaired it but they had,nt i fixed it myself in the end from info found on the web !! only took me 10 mins ! Now the steering has gone stiff on bends power sterring so more £xpence either the pump or the rack Must check the spark plugs again another common fault on the KA they seize into the cylinder head put some copper ease on the threads this should stop the problem I know all cars have problems but some of them on the Ka in my humble opinion are due to bad design or trying to be different than everyone else some times it does not work, fashion and style first and to hell with fixing problems at a fair price when things go wrong when you are the owner of your first budget car a few years down the line the car is'nt that old so i think things like should just not happen to so many people proving that it is not a rogue vehicle that i have it is just a poor design for all who have bought one. i will not buy another Ford again the experiance with the KA has not been a very good one

good on fuel
lack of storage pockets no useful glove box don't like the seat belt clip so low on seat frame makes it difficult to locate and clunk click ( showing my age now ) mechanicaly i think it is poorly designed and some components are not up to the job
Reviewing a 2000 model.
Owned for 6 months.

Alan
Reviewed June 2007.

Performance Reliability

I'm a Ford KA owner - I previously owned an 03 plate KA but it was involved in a very nasty accident on the motorway at 70mph and was written off! Luckiliy I survived with no injuries whatsoever, despite the car shredding one of it's tyres off and hitting the armco barrier. I was KA-less for a while and had no problems with the KA up to the accident, front suspension bushings replaced under warranty at 15,000 miles. I replaced the car with a very nice low mileage (4000 miles at time of purchase) KA collection 04 plate in Vitro Silver. No problems to date - touch wood!

Cute, Cheeky looks, Small and easy to park - lots of space if used as a 2 seater for road trips and stuff. Nippy and fun to drive.
Getting a little long in the tooth now but still looks fresh.
Reviewing a 2004 model.
2004 Ford KA Collection
Owned for 4 years.

pat14leena
Reviewed May 2007.

[enlarge]

Performance Reliability

good car

Economical
Small
Reviewing a 2005 model.
1.3 Collection
Owned for 2 years.

Leigh2809
Reviewed September 2006.

Performance Reliability

For a little car it has loads of room in the drivers seat, even for a 6 foot 2 inch guy like me! There is still enough room for two kids in the back and a suitcase in the boot. It is very nippy in town and is just as comfortable on the motorway.
Would suit anyone really but, especially good for new drivers as it is only group 2 insurance and very cheap on the pocket.
In all, highly reccommended.

Owned for 1 year.

kyle
Reviewed May 2006.

Performance Reliability

anyone know why my steering has gone stiff any hints or tips please email me at [Log in to view email]

Owned for 3 years.

The investigator
Reviewed May 2006.

Performance Reliability

Owned from new since 2000 ( 5.5 years ) Has been an excellent car.
For the last few months have experienced the OVER-REVVING problem that has been sprouting up here and there in posts.
From the info offered on this site about 4 weeks ago I removed the Idle Air Control Valve ( IAC ) (two 8 mm bolts) and the plastic housing the valve is attached to ( two 8 mm bolts ) . As stated just watch for the rubber air seals and remove the electrical plug. The whole lot will take you all of 10 mins max. O.K. what I done was NOT use WD40 as although this may work initially it will also create an environment for future carbon deposits to stick to and build up the problem again.

I used Methylated spirits and many cotton buds to clean out all the carbon build up from inside the valve and the housing. Gave it a good clean and refitted both parts back ( again only 10 mins max ) ( DO NOT FORGET the RUBBER SEALS ) There is no settings to do as none are required. The car has been operating as sweet as a nut like new ever since. ( By the way a Ford Garage would of billed about £180 for that ) Give it a go first if you have an over-revving/cut out problem first, you have nothing to lose.
Regards

Owned for more than 5 years.

mousey
Reviewed April 2006.

Performance Reliability

There is one problem i found that was with the spare tyre.
I had a flat tyre on the motorway,not a good place but when hubby came to change the tyre he had great difficultyas the spare is stored under the rear of the car the bolt holding it in had corroded ,so we had to get the AA out, very inconvinient for some one if on their own.

Owned for 2 years.

mike
Reviewed November 2005.

Performance Reliability

We just bought a 2000 1.3 collection Ka with just over 40000 on the clock and are throughly pleased with it. However we have had the common problems reported so much on this review forum:

Spark Plugs corroded into cylinder head. Yes, like so many others two plugs snapped off as I was doing the plug change. These are a very old design of engine but reliable non the less. The combination of an iron cylinder head and small, cheap tapered plugs is always asking for trouble. If you like me have experienced this problem you can do alot to stop it happening again. First make sure you copper grease the threads and the taper of the new plug. Second, only very slightly tighten the plug into the head, nip it up. Over tightening the plug is a big mistake. Periodically, spray WD40 around the plugs and maybe take them out and re apply copper grease. No guarantee but hopefully these steps should stop the plug nightmare happening again!

Engine cutting out when coming to a stop. Several reasons for this but most point to the IAC valve. You can clean it out yourself and see if it cures the problem. Haynes picture 15.32, unclip wiring from valve, use an 8mm socket and remove the two bolts holding the silver valve to the plastic body, careful with the rubber seal. Spray WD40 (not water or petrol!) all inside valve to flush out muck and dry it off. Also remove the plastic housing the valve is attached to, again only two 8 mm bolts holding it to the main inlet manifold and be careful of the rubber seals. Clean out with WD40 and clean rag. Pop all back on and this could be the end of the problem. If not a garage will have to diagnose the problem.

Over revving. Not had this problem yet but before you take to a garage remove the air inlet duct from the throttle housing, Haynes picture 15.2b. Carefully clean any muck from around the throttle butterfly and the insides of the body itself. If the throttle is not closing properly the ECU throws a wobbly. Again this is a simple task and may cure the problem but a garage may be the best place for this to be sorted.

Constantly blowing hot air into cabin (or constantly cold). Found out that the heater valve (coolant valve) is a common part to become faulty in alot of Fords. Again this job is a simple one to do yourself, check out Haynes section 3.9 45-52.

Aside from these, what I consider to be minor issues, I think the Ka is a great, fun to drive car!

Owned for 1 month.

Showing reviews 1 to 20 of 169.

Important Note

All ratings and reviews are submitted by visitors to this web site, and represent their own personal opinion. They do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Preloved.

You use this information at your own risk. Preloved can not be held responsible for any damages or loss resulting from the use of this site. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more details.