Overall Ratings

Overall

Based upon average ratings provided by 45 members - add your own review

Showing reviews 1 to 20 of 51.

ALFRED
Reviewed July 2011.

Performance Reliability
Manufacturers Service Support Overall Value for Money

had desktop made to my spec 8yrs ago, 2000xp pro. more advanced than standard models available from all sources at that time and considerably less expensive by some £2-300. only service required, a new graphics card 8mths ago which i changed myself.

its reliabily and cost
company ceased trading.
Reviewing a 2002 model.
Owned for more than 5 years.

shadow
Reviewed April 2006.

Performance Reliability

Why not try buying from a local, friendly computer shop not a huge national company who to them you are just one of thousands of customers filled through like sheep to slaughter.

Never owned

tinyarerubbish
Reviewed August 2005.

Performance Reliability

To the person below... The only thing I can think of is if you've paid by credit card. Then, your card issuer has certain responsibilities (I believe).

Owned for 6 months.
http://tinycomputers.blogspot.com/

sharync
Reviewed July 2005.

Performance Reliability

I Bought a computer package from tiny, over 2 months ago. We recived most of the things, apart from the printer. Now they have gone bust, where does this leave me legally? I have got spoken to Citizens advice today and have got in touch with the finance company to ask their advice. I'd rather send this back, and not have this bother .

Has anyone had these problems, and can give me any advice.

Owned for 1 month.

gfgfgfg
Reviewed July 2005.

Performance Reliability

brought a tiny computer 5 yrs ago!! Had No problems with it at all, still working gr8 now

Ive ordered a tiny laptop and im regrting it fm seeing the opions above... hope mines alryt... i wont take no shit off them if thers one little problem... oh and tiny dont respond to emails!!

Owned for 5 years.

tinyarerubbish
Reviewed July 2005.

Performance Reliability
- -
- -

FAO Maurice (from below!)

I'd like to contact you about suing Tiny!

-
Never owned

maurice
Reviewed July 2005.

Performance Reliability

THE WORST COMPANY EVER.
4 MONTHS AND STILL CAN NOT RESOLVE A SIMPLE PROBLEM.
TINY COMPUTERS (TIMEEXTRA LIMITED LTD)
COMPUTER, TINY TERMINATOR DIGITAL WIFI 3500-3

16-11-04
We have bought 2 computers from Tiny
TINY TERMINATOR DIGITAL WIFI 3500-3
Cost: £1797.97
Invoice No: A0092259
With 3 Years Guarantee
7 Days turnaround for repair return to base.

One computer worked fine, and one was causing some problems. We have managed to use it until 7-3-2005 when it completely stopped. The repair / replacement still unacceptable and the computer is still useless and in the box

We are currently considering suing Tiny. If you would like full details please contact us.
Our claim will be for negligence, unjust enrichment, and unfair business practices.
You clearly have financial interests in not resolving problems as you have demonstrated in the last 4 months. Each time a customer call you make money from that call. A pattern has emerged that you very rarely answer a call in less than 7 minutes in some cases 30 minutes.
With the help of trading standard and the publicity that you will get from BBC watch dog I am sure a lot of your dissatisfied will follow suite.

Owned for 6 months.

sam16yrs
Reviewed May 2005.

Performance Reliability

I am 16 years old and i saw this laptop and thought it sounds like a good deal (man was i wrong) i paid over £1100 for my very very high end laptop it is high end none the less. But when u buy from tiny which i would strongly suggest u dont u have to have computer knowledge and spare time. I bought my laptop to play games on and to use when i was in hospital, but it took me 3 months and over £200 more too get tiny to fix it. Even though they maneged to con me into the gold support pack which was supposed to cover all repair costs (it dosn't count for anything). Do not buy a computer off of tiny they suck. they play games and run applications but u still get no end of hassle with crashes
errors and iv'e reloaded my system countless amounts of times.
just do ur self a favour dont bother with tiny computers

Owned for 1 year.

Steve Beaton - Thedonis
Reviewed April 2005.

Performance Reliability
- -
- -

To the guy below - The capacity of a hard drive will appear slightly less in Windows (and Mac) than the capacity stated by the hard drive's manufacturer. This is because windows uses binary to calculate capacity, whereas manufacturers use decimal.

Tiny's own brand wireless keyboard and mouse are tacky rubbish, but I tried them on my old computer and they worked fine. Make sure the batteries are fresh and the transmitter is in range and free of obstructions.

Don't bother buying back up windows CD. Get copy off a mate, or peer-to-peer.

See my post below about not buying monitors or peripherals from computer suppliers. dabs.com or savastore.com will do you a much better deal.

-
Never owned

tinyarerubbish
Reviewed April 2005.

Performance Reliability

I bought a tiny.com PC recently and want to warn people what to expect...

So far I have had three monitors. The current one is obviously second-hand -- it wasn't properly packaged and has scratches on the on all of the front corners. Last time I tried to get a replacement, it took 20 minutes on the phone to sort it out.

The ad for the PC said it has a 200gb hard disk, however, in reality Tiny like to provide only 182gb.

I am now on my second keyboard and mouse, and both still don't work. Several of the buttons on the wireless keyboard do not appear on the screen when pressed. Furthermore, the PC was set up for America, so things like the '@' symbol could only be accessed by holding shift and '2'. The wireless mouse doesn't work properly -- it keeps 'freezing' or 'sticking' on screen when being moved

You can't use other internet connections without getting an error message: 'error 775: the call was blocked by the remote computer'. I can only access the internet through the supanet service. It turns out you've got to 'unlock' the modem as supanet pay Tiny £10 per every PC that they 'impregnate' in this way.

Another problem you have to overcome is removing the 0208 code from the setting when trying to connect to the internet.

See Computer Shopper magazine for how to unblock it. I followed their advice and downloaded a generic modem driver. You then have to search the PC for Internet Explorer as the PC is set up to open IE only when clicking on the supanet service.

Don't forget that when you see tiny.com ads in the papers, you have to pay an extra £100-odd pounds on top of the advertised price. It's £40 for delivery (you can't pick up a machine from the High Street) and £70-odd for Windows XP backup CDs, wich they stress are important of your PC goes wrong .9they must know something). Check all CDs -- my one was blank.

To top it all off, it's almost impossible to get a response out of the company. Unless you've got a lot of free time on your hands, you can call them. They don't seem to respond to many emails, but here are a few addresses that might prove [Log in to view email]

I'm interested in other's opinions. Please see http://tinycomputers.blogspot.com/ where I will also publish any views (good or bad)!

Owned for 1 month.
http://tinycomputers.blogspot.com/

Adverts Currently On Preloved

FLOOR STANDING WOODEN...

BUFF PEKIN HATCHING EGGS - 6

2014 MASKED BOB WHITE QUAIL.

BLACK LONG RIDING BOOTS

MIA IS A BEAUTIFUL, HAPPY...

DARTMOOR PONY

TWO SEATER SOFA X 2

Place an ad here for free

» More second hand ads...

Steve Beaton - Thedonis
Reviewed March 2005.

Performance Reliability

I agree with the chap below, DO NOT buy a Tiny computer UNLESS:

a. You know a fair bit about computers, or:
b. You have a lot of spare time to learn, or:
c. Have a couple of very patient friends who work in IT.

I fortunately qualify through b and c.

I paid £769 (plus £40 delivery) for a 'base unit' - a desktop PC, without monitor, or extra peripherals. I would recommend doing this, as you will always be able to find a better quality (and value) monitor, scanner, printer etc. than the computer manufacturer's own brand.

NEVER buy extended warranties, support or insurance FOR ANY PRODUCT. You will inevitably be paying for a service you are already entitled to under law. The Tiny salesman was almost in tears on the phone when I refused to buy extended support. Also, NEVER use finance if you can pay the full amount up front, or on a credit card. The APR is scandalous.

The specifications and components (whose makes and models I've all indentified) of my Tiny are reasonably good, and it would have cost me a fair bit more to build the computer myself, using the exact same components.

The problems I've had were:

1. The wireless keyboard and mouse supplied did not work on arrival. After waiting hours on the phone to customer services, they sent me superior replacement few days later, without any questions. I did not have to send original keyboard and mouse to be checked.

2. The digital TV tuner provides good picture quality, but is very unstable - as pc tv tuners tend to be - so I had to upgrade the software drivers. Still have problems.

3. Tiny, like some other suppliers, do not provide a Windows XP system recovery disk, so if you ever need to 'rebuild' your operating system, you'll need to borrow a copy off somebody else.

4. The Microsoft Office software supplied was only a 60 day trial, so you'll need to source a full copy after then.

5. The internal 56k dial up modem can only be used with the Supanet ISP. I've tried to 'deoptimise' it, but with no success. Might have to edit the registry.

All in all, I got a fairly good value computer and learnt a lot about solving IT problems, which might be ok for a layabout like myself, but not so good for a busy parent. Also, learn as much as you can about the components and hardware, Tiny.com will tend to mislead slightly about the quality and modernity of its components. A serious gamer or techie would probably want a far more customised product than Tiny offer.

Owned for 6 months.

Mr T
Reviewed February 2005.

Performance Reliability

Here we go.

I worked in the computer shop for Time and Tiny for 6 months. I saw so many computers brought back as the company had done things like: leave screwdrivers in the machine, fail to put graphics card in properly, install bios' with usb drivers, have problems with batteries not charging.

If you go into the store the guys there will help, but they will have to ring the premium support number as well to get any help as the managers have no authority to do anything.

All the company is concerned about is making money. Yes their PCs are cheaper - but the sales staff are personally harassed into selling the warranty - which is not worth the paper it is written on. The incentive given to the staff is £15 for the gold warranty, £10 for silver and £5 for gold. And that is never paid properly.

If you want a system and want support - go buy from someone like Evesham Technologies - http://www.evesham.com Top class Tech Support and Awards Years running in a row. Alternatively Mesh - or John Lewis.

Hope that helps

Never owned
http://evesham.com

Ex-The Computer Shop Employee
Reviewed February 2005.

Performance Reliability

Hi everyone. I totally agree that Tiny.com's service is abysmall. I should knoe, I was the Asst Manager of one of The Computer Shops.

Tiny.com, Time Computers and The Computer Shop are all owned by a company called Granville Technology.

I have never worked for such a 'cowboy' company as Tiny. Computers are sent to customers with hardware and software missing, 'dead' Hard Disks and incompatible hardware. This might be excusable if their customer service was up to scratch but it is not. In fact you would receive the same level of after-sales care if you bought the full support package or you had nothing.

Never, ever buy a system from Tiny, unless you are very compentent with a PC as if there is a problem you will be on your own.

Finally, I would ask that you go easy on the Salesmen in store, they really do everything possible to solve your problems. The problem lies with Head Office and their superiors (Area Managers etc). They do their best!

Owned for 6 months.

pete64
Reviewed February 2005.

Performance Reliability

Anyone who has a duff Tiny computer may be interested in reading this. Mine has been useless from the beginning (see previous posting) so I wrote to them telling them so and requested that they collect it and give me a full refund. They ignored me so I wrote again, telling them I would sue if they didnt respond. They ignored me, so I went to the County court and had a summons issued (at a cost of £80). Without even going to court they have now agreed to a full refund plus the £80 and are collecting the machine at their expense. Sometimes it is worth digging your heels in!

Peter

Owned for 6 months.

phil
Reviewed February 2005.

Performance Reliability

Friend of mine bought a Tiny computer. Cd/dvd drive only worked intermittenly from the start, now refuses to work at all. I've advised him it's a heap of trash (he was not amused).

Goods purchased in the UK are covered by the Sale of Goods Act, and I would advise anybody having problems within 6 months of purchase to write to the vendor immediately. Something along the following lines:

TINY.COM,
Simonstone Business Park,
Blackburn Rd,
Burnley,
Lancashire.
BB12 7TG

RECORDED DELIVERY

Sir,

I refer to the computer purchased from you on *** date ***. (order no. or any other reference would also be useful here)

Following numerous and costly calls to your customer services/sales/technical support lines, (*** insert nature of fault here ***) remains faulty and all efforts to resolve the problem have failed.

Under the Sale of Goods Act it is you, the vendor, and not the manufacturer, that is responsible for providing goods of ‘Merchantable quality’ and that are ‘Fit for the purpose intended. The machine you supplied clearly fails to meet these criteria. Consequently, you are advised that I intend exercising my rights under the above legislation.

You are required to collect the faulty goods, entirely at your own expense, and at a time convenient to myself. I do not require a replacement machine, nor do I wish to have the faulty machine repaired.

(*** If you entered into a finance agreement the finance company have the right to enforce the agreement pending notification from the vendor, so add something along these lines ***)
In addition you are required to immediately notify the finance company of the cancellation of the agreement prior to the date upon which the first payment becomes due. Should you fail to do this you will be held liable for all monies paid (both capital and interest) by myself on this agreement.

Failure to resolve this matter, to my entire satisfaction, within 21 days from the date of this letter, will result in legal action being taken against you. In this event you may be liable for any legal costs incurred.

Send a copy of this letter to the finance company if applicable.

If, as is likely, you do not get a response you must follow it up with a second letter, along the following lines.

My letter of (*** date ***) refers.

Having failed to respond to the above letter you are hereby advised that you have 14 days to resolve this matter.

Failure to do so will result in legal action to recover your debt.

You are reminded that such action may result in additional legal costs to you.

No further reminders will be issued.

Yours

In the absence of a response you must be prepared to take the matter further by going to your local small court and filing a claim. This will involve court fees, but it is alnost certainly the only way you are going to get any redress from a firm like Tiny.

If any of you want more advice on how to pursue a small claim I'll be happy to help.

Never owned

jane
Reviewed February 2005.

Performance Reliability

DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT PURCHASE A COMPUTER FROM TINY !!!!!!.
Made the mistake of purchasing £1000 computer from Tiny.
Within 24 hrs of having the computer it has failed.
Constanly telling me bios have failed, hardware devices are not installed.
I have spent over an hour on their technical lines (50p per minute ) being stalled and given incorrect information.
Was even told to open up the back of the computer !!!!

Eventually hung up.

Then attempted for over a week to contact customer services to have this heap of junk returned.

Well surprise surprise you connect to the dservice at national rates they you are placed on hold !!!!!

Only telephone line that you get a response is the sales dept.
Who are when asking for the name and address of customer services they hang up on you.

This has been a nightmare at the momment I am out of pocket to the tune of £1000 and a faulty computer and no way of contacting this company unless I phone the 50p per minute line !!!.

I have now placed my complaint in the hands of trading standards and will probably have to take this company to court.

I have written to them as advised by recorded delivery - did I get a reply - What do you think.

I am also going to my MP to see if any action can be taken against this company considering the number of complaints.

I REPEAT DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY.

Owned for 1 month.

wekahn
Reviewed February 2005.

Performance Reliability

Rang Hardware support on a premeum number to confirm my findings that the power supply had gone (spent £10.00) + carriage for the item to back to base and return to me.

There should be a law to stop this type of fraud from happening. Cheap does not mean a con. I am now going to actively work to inform people of my experience and stop them from purchasing tiny. This is the only way Tiny will ever learn in my opinion.

DON'T BUY TINY - BUY ANY THING BUT NOT TINY

Owned for 6 months.

Dean
Reviewed December 2004.

Performance Reliability

Tiny Systems are bad. There after service is totally unacceptable. The staff in Computer shop doesnt even help to sort out the problems. It takes a long long time to repair the systems and have to spend atleast £20 just on the phone talking to customer services as its £1.50 per minute call. They have a dedicated internet modem which has to be deoptomized to use another internet connection. Overall the tiny systems are not worth buying and its a wastage of money.

Owned for 1 month.

romeooo
Reviewed December 2004.

Performance Reliability

Who ever posted the message praising about tiny should be a employee of the company bcoz they are trained to say that and this site is genuinely for public and not for companies,it is true that u r paying a little extra if u buy a sony,evesham,micro anvika systems but its worth it bcoz they give u a good after sales support but tiny systems are crap guys just bcoz they are little cheaper don.t u go and buy it they say that the systems comes with 1 year manufacturers warranty but if something goes wrong u have to wait for ages to get ur pc repaired and also their support options are tooooooo expensive then sony,evesham,dell coputers they charge on monthly bases of 13.99 to get the top most support if u calculate for 3 years it comes to 503 pounds calculate for five years its more then the value of the pc and it goes waste bcoz they only take the money they never server the customers problems plz plz plz go and buy from any other companies not from tiny or time or the computershop alone.,,,,,,

Never owned

b
Reviewed November 2004.

Performance Reliability

I've had, bought (at least 5) & advised many people (at least 20) to buy from Time, and since they took over Tiny, many more.
From experience I know that people complain more than than praise & I'm unsurprised that people have faults on their PC's. All PC's now (not a lot of people know this) are made from the same components manufactured in the same places by the same people. The difference is the price you pay for the PC. Go to Sony & buy one & pay twice as much as you would for a Tiny one. See if that doubling in price is worth paying for slightly better service that Sony may give - because they can afford to now you've paid them twice as much as you should have!
The facts are that in the PC industry component failure rate is low, if they do go, you're just unlucky, like if your TV went pop. It happens, there's nothing you can do - just ring them up & arrange a return.
I know for a fact that inside 7 days of ownership you are entitled to your money back, it can take up to 28 days for any company to return the money not just Tiny. So it doesn't matter, pay on card & 99% of you will be fine in all circumstances the other 1% will get their money back!

All comments about PC's over 3 years old or USA models are irrelevant as the PC wasn't built by Time/Tiny, any referring to something broken when it arrived is down to couriers dropping the box (unfortunate & rare but it does happen as we all know!) & if you're daft enough to wait 7 months for a keyboard without ringing to find out where it is - I don't know - its probably been lost in the post.
There must have been at least 500,000 PC's sold since Time bought Tiny, I'd say that judging by what few complaints there are, thats a great result !

Owned for more than 5 years.
http://www.tiny.com

Showing reviews 1 to 20 of 51.

Important Note

All ratings and reviews are submitted by visitors to this web site, and represent their own personal opinion. They do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Preloved.

You use this information at your own risk. Preloved can not be held responsible for any damages or loss resulting from the use of this site. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more details.