Overall

Based upon average ratings provided by 135 members - add your own review

Showing reviews 1 to 20 of 140.

UglyBob
Reviewed April 2013.

Performance Reliability
Parts Availability Overall Value for Money

THE MEAT:
I bought an N reg punto 55s 1.1L (mk1) from a friend in 2011 as my first car for £400. It had 88k on the clock and looked in pretty good condition, The clutch, cam belt and headgasket had been replaced at around 60k so I though it should be good for another few years. Its quite nippy for a 1.1 but does struggle a little at motorway speeds. it handles well and for a small car it's truly cavernous inside. Also because of the small engine it'll regularly return over 35mpg around town. Since I bought it I've had to replace the original starter motor, the alternator and the thermostat, and radiator about a month ago. I also did the brake pads and shoes. I'm no mechanic but the parts where very easy to come by and really quite cheap. although its hasn't been brilliant it's gotten me from Hull to Newquay and back with relative ease on 2 occasions and it gets me the 20 miles too and from work every day without a problem. the only components I've replaced where things which where original, and for an 18year old car its really good. There is very little rust (tiny amounts on one of the wheel arches and under the cills) which considering it hasn't seen the inside of a garage for 6 years is pretty good. The other good thing about this car is that there is no electric windows, no power steering, no air conditioning, no central locking, in fact aside from an engine, and bodywork there is very little too it. The reason I say this is a good thing is that there is so little to go wrong. Anything that does go wrong can be fixed with ease. And if the cam belt does break this engine wont destroy itself like most as there is clearance between the pistons and valves, just make sure you dont boil it dry.

THE VEG:
in summary this car is a reliable little soldier as long as you remember you're buying a punto and not a landrover you shouldn't be disappointed. Always check for a service history and make sure you check it over thoroughly or have someone who knows what to look for do it for you. since they are such good cars, often the reason people sell them is that major work needs or will soon need doing as headgasket and gearbox replacements dont come cheap even if the parts are fairly cheap to come by.

THE PUDDING:
I love my mk1 Punto and the only reason I'm selling it is that the MOT is due next month, the road tax this month and the gearbox is nearing the end of its life so I'm going out to buy a mk2 on saturday :)

Reliable, Economical, Practical, Cheap to insure, Cheap to tax and cheap and easy to fix. Bodywork is built and painted to last.
not as many features as most people like. Performance isn't breathtaking, struggles at motorway speeds (stop every couple of hours, its a punto and made for city driving)
Reviewing a 1995 model.
Mk1 55s 1.1L 3door manual
Owned for 2 years.

Dave
Reviewed December 2012.

Performance Reliability

2001 1.2 16v mk2 Punto.

I just feel the need to balance the negatives out regarding reviews for this car. I've had this lovely for the last 6 years and she's never failed me. I even had a bad smash and she managed to tank on home only to finally die at my door step! I shed a tear, lol. But she was fixed up fine and the only thing annoying at the moment is the cooler fan bearing is squealing and if anyones ever heard this you'll appreciate the embarrassment it can cause as it's squeal shatters windows light years away!!

good on fuel and is nippy enough to do 0 to 60 in 5 secs, with a little stink from the clutch.
window wipers need sorting out as they fail the second a droplet touches the screen! Easily done though with a nice shiny bolt :)
Reviewing a 2001 model.
fiat punto mk2 1.2 16v
Owned for more than 5 years.

bondfan
Reviewed August 2012.

Performance Reliability

I bought a fiat Punto from new some years ago.. It had electric everything. Unfortunately they must have built it on a friday afternoon in a hurry with defective parts! It was an absolute nightmare.
The front two electric windows wouldn't always close right up every time. A quarter of the trim from the electric sunroof popped out and fell on me whilst driving. The all electric dashboard had two separate dial read out faults.
The Fiat dealership replaced the new electronic dashboard - not with a new one, but a used reconditioned one and it still malfunctioned........so I told them flat out to put a new one in as that's what I had paid for. Fiats lose their value very quickly... I wonder why?

Should have bought a Renault.
All flash gizmos and very poor reliability.
Never owned

simon
Reviewed August 2012.

Performance Reliability

Thought id try one, it was a rainy Jan when I went to look felt attracted to the modern town car image,which seemed cheery, . It has been ok , once wouldnt start found to be loose connection,needed new battery, also power steering motor failed, steering impossibly hard for such a small car without it,cost £50 for battery,and £179 inc fitting for elec steering motor,its economy is good I think for the short stop start journeys in traffic that I do,of 2-5 miles a time, ive got 38 mpg normally and that's with the auto choke it has .

fuel economy,maoeverability,easy to clean,
none really bit sluggish but that'd be all you would expect
Reviewing a 2001 model.
mia
Owned for 6 months.

LAMFERATI
Reviewed June 2011.

Performance Reliability
- -
- -

To ''Sweaty'' yes they're notorious overheaters in my experience, bad cooling design, but if your not to precious about it, I've found removing the thermostat, has more good points than bad.

-
Never owned

LAMFERATI
Reviewed June 2011.

Performance Reliability
- -
- -

In my experience Punto's are great little cars, that are cheap to run, and have the handling feel of a much dearer car, however their main faults can be summed up by saying the dreaded word, OVERHEATING which does go some way in negating their other fine qualities imo....................shame really.

-
Owned for 2 years.

jessy
Reviewed November 2010.

Performance Reliability

Fiat punto is a great little run around and is very large inside for a car of its size would reccomend for new drivers

great fuel comsumption 50mpg large intereior
back bushes go
Reviewing a 1999 model.
Owned for 3 years.

mike
Reviewed September 2010.

Performance Reliability

fiat punto selecta 60 automatic,please help anyone,it runs really good but recently my automatic transmission light comes on and my speedo stops working but when the weather is cold its ok help please

economical
Reviewing a 1996 model.
automatic
Owned for 2 years.

sweaty
Reviewed January 2009.

Performance Reliability

well I bought a 1999 punto from the auctions. Now I know that's a gamble but I'm a gambling man and buying from the auctions has always paid off for me. But this punto is another story......I emmediatley had to change the water pump and thermostat and fan cos it boiled over coming home from the auctions. i did the head gasket and cam belt while i had the engine in bits. The oil pressure switch, and a service, plugs, filters, oil etc. The exhaust down pipe replaced. I still have to do discs and pads. There's a knocking on back, could be suspension or exhaust, the clutch release mechanism is noisy, the oil light is on when ticking over......the list is endless.
Howver the bits were cheap and I was able to do the work myself, I'm no mechanic.
The car runs nice the gear box is good and it looks great!

Cheap bits, and easy to work on.
needs loads of bits and loads of work
Owned for 1 month.

Nead
Reviewed August 2008.

Performance Reliability

I had a 1998 1.2 16V Sporting until some idiot ran into the back of me at traffic lights at 50mph and wrote it off! It was a fantastic fun little car, and i will be looking for another one shortly. It had about £700 spent on it in total in the 5.5 years and 100,000 miles we owned it, 2 new radius arms and the head gasket (it shouldn't have been that much but i drove it around overheating for 6 months as was a student and couldn't afford the work done!). There are good and bad examples of all old cars, sure there are posts on preloved about all the other cars mentioned in peoples reviews too.

Nippy, Fun to Drive, Very Economical
Reviewing a 1998 model.
1.2 16V Sporting

Adverts Currently On Preloved

VINTAGE BRASS POKER AND...

TOY DINOSAURS

VTECH FIRST STEPS BABY WALKER.

IMPERIAL SHIH TZU PUPS

BABYSTYLE OYSTER PUSHCHAIR...

DWARF X MINI LOP

MECCANO R/C 2 MODEL KIT

BRADFORD CITY FC

Place an ad here for free

» More second hand ads...

RAD
Reviewed June 2008.

Performance Reliability

We had the mk 2 2000 model. Lovely nippy car. Only the 1.2 but it had plenty of power! We owned it for 5 years and all we spent on were tyres, exhaust, battery and servicing. It was Hubbys pride and joy until he had a head on collision with a pug estate. Its high rating in the ncap ratings proved correct. We were unhurt except for where the seatbelt saved me but the driver of the other car had head injuries and car was unable to be moved! It was that good that we got another fiat to replace it!

Nippy, economical to run, sporty looks
None!
Reviewing a 2000 model.
1.2 8v
Owned for 5 years.

CHRISS
Reviewed November 2007.

Performance Reliability

I BOUGHT A PUNTO MK2 SPORTING 6 SPEED GEARBOX AND I DROVE IT NEARLY 200MILES ONE WAY FROM ESSEX TO LEICESTER AND LEEDS.THE CAR WAS GOING NICELY AND SMOOTHLY AS IT SHOULD 2 DAYS AGO I CAME OF WORK AND I PARKED THE CAR IN MY DRIVEWAY AND SWITCHED THE ENGINE OFF AFTER FEW HOURS AGO I WENT IN THE CAR TO STARTED AS I KNEW I HAD TO CHANGE TO A NEW BATTERY AND WHEN I STARTED THE ENGINE ALL THE LIGHTS SUPPOSED TO DISSAPEAR FROM THE SCREEN AND IT DID BUT NOT THE AIRBAG LIGHT.
IVE CALLED RAC TWICE TO CHECK ITBUT THEY COULDNT HELP ME AT ALL.I STILL DONT KNOW WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM AND WHAT DO I NEED TO SOLVE.BUT MY OPPINION IS IIIFFF YOU ARE A CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR A GOOD CAR ON FINANCE OR CASH WITH FEW GRANDS THEN ITS BETTER TO LOOK FOR A COUNFY CARS VW,AUDI.PEUGEOT THIS CARS ARE QUALITYAND HARDLY GETTING TO ANY FAULTS.

Never owned

crabtree
Reviewed October 2007.

Performance Reliability

Fiat punto clutch judder, my son had this problem it was infact dangerous and i was considering buying him a different car. If you have this problem and you have a matt in the drivers footwell "then remove it"! The fiat punto clutch arm of the pedal goes right down to the floor and gets fouled by the matt. Doing this improved the problem emmediately and it got better as the clutch wore itself back in.
hope this helps!
Terry

very fuel efficient without loss of performance for a small car
poor cornering and of course the clutch pedal
Reviewing a 2003 model.
Owned for 1 year.

JCF
Reviewed July 2007.

Performance Reliability

I have had my Fiat Punto Sporting from new for just over 5 years now, great looking car, joy to drive, never ever let me down, always serviced on time. Everyone who sees it says what a great looking car it is. I have it serviced regularly, and, apart from the usual service costs, have only needed a new battery and the air con topped up in all the time I have owned it. If they are services correctly, then I don't think you get the problems.

Great looks, drive, reliability
Insurance costs
Reviewing a 2002 model.
Fiat Punto Sporting

Ludi
Reviewed June 2007.

Performance Reliability

Bought the Fiat Punto 1.2s 2001.
It seemed like very nice car untill now. :(
First started when front lights (H7 bulbs) every month or so brakedown (apparently it's electrics problem) but after many replacements of the bulbs the electric problem just vanished on itself. Told by the mechanic that that's the common problem with punto. And then after some time dual servo broke down. And that too is the common problem with punto. Mechanic examined a problem and said that would need to change the whole servo motor. It's rather expensive, so I didn't change it. And guess what, problem vanished like it was never there. So passed a year, and now again servo doesn't work and the lights are braking down. Hurray for Fiat!!!!!

Reviewing a 2001 model.
Punto 1.2s

Mint2y
Reviewed May 2007.

Performance Reliability

Firstly I would like to pass on my experience of this car so others do not make the same mistake. I Fell in love with the Punto after having it as a courtesy car. I purchased a Yrg for £4500 back in 2002. I had nothing but problems from the day of purchase.

Airbag light stays on(went to FIAT 13 times about this, they didn't rectify it), Clutch judder which resulted in me having a new clutch, Faulty pistons(new engine fitted), windscreen wipers judder, front brake problems, headlights adjustment fault, engine management problems and other minor problems some of which I cannot remember. Its a lucky thing the car was in warranty or I my pocket would have grossly suffered. The FIAT dealership could not care less, always could never get through by phone, when I went down in person, I was made to feel as if the lemon that they sold me was my fault. After the ESU played up again I sold the car for a mere £1500.

At the time I was an exited 19 year old boy of ignorance. I have learned a valid lesson. When it comes to buying a car, do your homework and research into what you are getting especially if you intend to spend in the thousands!

My overall advice - DO NOT BY THIS CAR! Waste of money and it WILL provide you with a vast amount of stress.

Cheap to run, sharp looks.
Constant problems, abysmal customer care from FIAT
Reviewing a 1002 model.
8v
Owned for 4 years.

crabtree
Reviewed May 2007.

Performance Reliability

Clutch problems on the fiat punto. Occassional severe judder when pulling of in first gear. Does anyone still have this problem i think there may be a simple solution for many. It certainly was for me. My sons 03 punto developed this judder.

good performance for a small engine, very good fuel economy.
Feels little unsteady on bends. interior not very hard wearing.
Reviewing a 2003 model.
Owned for 6 months.

KizzyBoo
Reviewed May 2007.

Performance Reliability

BEWARE OF THE FIAT PUNTO. IT IS DECIEVING....
After leaving the dealership; I left thinking i had bought a great looking car, that was a nice and nippy 1.25 2000 Fiat Punto Sporting, 35k miles on clock, nothing could've prepared me for the baggage this car was due to bring with it as i drove it away.
Four weeks later and im driving up the M5 and i hear this noise like someone had thrown their keys into my engine bay. As i make a quick exit off the motorway to figure out what it is, i reach the top of the slip road and im accellerating but nothings happening. Call the AA out, as im 120 miles from home to be told that my Head Gasket has blown and it took the water pump with it. I was given a 3 month warranty so i got home and tried to call the dealership i bought it from. 3 days straight and no-one answered. I took a trip up there to speak to them in person, only to find the place empty. I mean, All the cars were gone, the people were gone and there was a To Let sign outside, asked the mechanic next door to the forecourt and he told me that the Inland Revenue had been round a few days before and that after that the dealership had done a runner. So now im left with a useless car on my drive that costs more than i can afford to fix right now and a very bitter taste in my mouth every time i pay my monthly finance for it.
So...Just a word of advice, if you're thinking of buying a Fiat Punto - DONT - they're not worth the hassle they bring.

Looks Good, Quick, Sports Interior is very nice
They are renouned for the head gasket to blow at around 50,000 miles
Reviewing a 2000 model.
Sporting
Owned for 3 months.

jc113
Reviewed May 2007.

Performance Reliability

A Punto in good condition is a real treat. Cheap and easy to run, cheap parts and a great looking car. However the repairs needed to get it to this "good condition" i talk about is far from easy. I have owned my Punto for 4 months and managed to fix all the common problems myself. The main problems being :-

Rear radius arms (causing the knocking from the back of the car) £85

Petrol fuel tank unit (Incorrect fuel gauge) £19

Exhaust downpipe (Major exhaust blow) £32

Performance brake discs and pads £34

New rear drums and shoes (Grinding noise from rear of vehicle) £50

Key barrel set changed £15

Sump (Slight oil leak) £39

Tracking (Pulls to the left) £30

Starter motor (Made a whirring noise when started) £45

New service parts (Oil, air, fuel filter, performance spark plugs) £25

After this endless list was corrected my car now runs like a dream and is a pleasure to drive. And for the sake of just over £300 i have a perfect run around which i paid just over £350 for.

Modern, spacious looking car. Cheap parts.
Alot of problems.
Never owned

EllaC
Reviewed April 2007.

Performance Reliability

Having waited almost 8 years since pasing my test to buying my first car, I was more than alittle excited when I bought a Fiat Punto. I paid £2795 for this W reg Punto in July 2005, and I have had problems with it ever since, making me wish I'd spent the extra on a better make and model, as it is what I thought I was saving I've spent on repairs, here goes:
November 2005 - New brakes £158.30
February 2006 - Replacement sump & exhaust £471.09
October 2006 - Head gasket replaced having broken down on the M6 £438.52
all this on top of the usual tyres, windscreen wipers, an aerial (some shite broke mine off), repairing of scratches, regular servicing etc, this car has cost me well over £1500 in just 2 years, and the problems are still coming, the clutch has been making a horrble grinding sound for the last week and today it was that much more noticable.

All I can say is my garage must be loving me and who ever sold me the car saw me coming. Its not bad enough for Pimp My Ride, but it is bad enough that I've had to take out a second job to pay for the repairs!! Follow my advice and the advice of my garage, stay away from Fiats, they are more trouble than they are worth, unless of course you want to know the guy at the garage a little better!! Its only redeeming feature, they look good!

Reviewing a 2000 model.
Owned for 2 years.

Showing reviews 1 to 20 of 140.

Important Note

All ratings and reviews are submitted by visitors to this web site, and represent their own personal opinion. They do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Preloved.

You use this information at your own risk. Preloved can not be held responsible for any damages or loss resulting from the use of this site. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more details.